"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now I've calmed down after the Utd win, I've just come to realise the run-in in all it's glory.

6 fixtures remaining:

Chelsea have FOUR home fixtures:
- Southampton, who have nothing to play for.
- Middlesbrough, who could well be relegated.
- Watford, who have nothing to play for.
- Sunderland, who will be down.

There away fixtures are Everton and West Brom. Most likely the games we need to look at for them to drop points, even so West Brom have NOTHING to play for and it still means we have to win EVERY fixture.

Whilst we have:

FOUR away games. We have the fifth best away record in the league.
- Crystal Palace, who are fighting for survival and have beaten Woolwich and Chelsea within the last few weeks.
- West Ham, who always raise their game for their cup final.
- Leicester, who would LOVE to fucking ruin our season.
- Hull, who have a brilliant home record and still may need something to stay up.

Our two home games on paper are against teams who are STILL fighting for top four and Champions League hopes, but on our home form, I'd expect to win the two home games.

Obviously never say never. No one thought Palace would beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Rewind a few years back and no one thought Palace would come from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 against Liverpool and end their title hopes either. We are at silly season now.

It's still a RIDICULOUSLY tough ask. If Chelsea win their next league game, the gap is back at 7 points before we even play for example. That's massive pressure on us again going into a game sandwiched between a cup semi final and a North London Derby.

But my god, it's fucking exciting and our players will smell blood at any mistake.

Edit - I'll also add that the cup semi final could be VERY crucial to the whole title chase. If we win, that's THREE losses in FOUR games which despite how good you are, is a real confidence denter. You start to doubt things, the manager may attempt to change things etc. - it just starts to doubt in their mind.
Their fixtures are definitely easier than ours. Mind you, some of our fixtures being tough will actually increase their nervousness further if we win them as they'll be expecting us to drop points. We only need them to drop points in two of those six games, potentially. I really think they are feeling the pressure and I agree the cup semi final is massively important. We have an opportunity to destroy their confidence at a key moment. Hopefully we won't just win, but we'll do it with some class.

Cheers matey. On a serious note stop writing crap and I'll stop disagreeing. Occasionally you can be sensible so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

post-36877-agree-to-disagree-gif-Anchorma-kFLi.gif

:troll:

We should talk about it but not expect it, one game at a time. Our next game is a semi against the pretenders. Lets have em we owe them big time. Revenge from all the shit last year.

Whats happened today is Chelsea have lost that comfort of a 7 point
lead, Its just 4 and we have the GD. They will need to take each game knowing no more slip ups, thats the pressure. They should be able to cope with the pressure. Lets hope we can now we have a genuine sniff.

This is fucking exciting

Agreed.

But a part of me also still just feels like some horrible cunt is holding a cupcake in front of me whilst I'm on a treadmill. Two losses in their last three games to give us hope, from 10 points to 7 and now 4 - it's the hope that kills you.

Chelsea didn't get a single shot on target today. That's really only just sunk in.
They looked incoherent going forward today. Their main plus was their ability to drop back in numbers to defend at 2 down.

No clean sheet in the last 10 according to MOTD.
Agreed.

But a part of me also still just feels like some horrible cunt is holding a cupcake in front of me whilst I'm on a treadmill. Two losses in their last three games to give us hope, from 10 points to 7 and now 4 - it's the hope that kills you.
Nah, we've got nothing to lose. If we finish 2nd its still a great season for us. If they blow it from here it will hurt them bad.

They looked incoherent going forward today. Their main plus was their ability to drop back in numbers to defend at 2 down.]

Nah, we've got nothing to lose. If we finish 2nd its still a great season for us. If they blow it from here it will hurt them bad.
Which to me is why I don't need to build false hope for something that probably won't come off.

We are one point away from out best ever PL finish, which we'll get and exceed, and we'll finish top four, likely second. It's already almost certainly our best season in decades. I don't want false expectations because anything now is icing on the cake.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already posted...

I reckon if we win all our remaining games (including the semi, which is v important for morale) we will do it. That will be 12 league victories in a row and I can't remember a side doing that and not winning the league. It would be very hard for the chavs then...they would only be able to drop points in one game...it would have to be an excellent end of season run from them under extreme pressure in order to win it. Obviously a massive ask for us to win all our games though.

They're still massive favourites but as of today we are properly in a title race for the second season in a row.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already posted...

I reckon if we win all our remaining games (including the semi, which is v important for morale) we will do it. That will be 12 league victories in a row and I can't remember a side doing that and not winning the league. It would be very hard for the chavs then...they would only be able to drop points in one game...it would have to be an excellent end of season run from them under extreme pressure in order to win it. Obviously a massive ask for us to win all our games though.

They're still massive favourites but as of today we are properly in a title race for the second season in a row.

Think that would be 13 not 12, right? We've won the last 7 in the league and have 6 more left. That would equal Chelsea's winning run from earlier this season. We would have lost less games over the season though. Chelsea have lost as many as Liverpool now..The last two seasons the winner only lost 3 games (same as us and Utd currently).

"Poch; "Tottenham is not building now in an artificial way. It is not about putting in money, money, money, money and building a fantastic stadium and fantastic team.

“Tottenham is very genuine. It is a very natural process and it is so exciting because it is unique in the world.” Chelsea spent £120 million players last summer, while Spurs splashed out only £48m."

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino aims dig at Chelsea ahead of FA Cup showdown

:pochohshit::dembelefingers::pochlol::pochsmirk::sonpoint::dierpochhug:

Last edited:
When we went 2-1 up against woolwich we were actually above them, top for 10 minutes, we ended up drawing as you know, so it would have been a point or two at that stage.
Indeed, and just before that we could have overtaken them if we'd beaten West Ham at Upton Park.
Urgh, I tried to drink those memories away.

Southampton are no mugs. Can you imagine if they got something off of Chelsea next Tuesday, and what Wednesday's match against Crystal Palace would then be like...?

Positivity post:

2011/2012 - Man City were 5 points behind Man Utd at the same game week. They went on to win the league on goal difference.

That is however, the only time in the Premier League's history that a league difference higher than Chelsea/Tottenham of this season has ever been overcome. Point being that even the great Sir Alex Ferguson can have his team lose focus.

Man Utd then lost to Wigan (A), drew with Everton (H), lost to Man City (A) whilst Man City won every single won of their fixtures.

Positivity post:

2011/2012 - Man City were 5 points behind Man Utd at the same game week. They went on to win the league on goal difference.

That is however, the only time in the Premier League's history that a league difference higher than Chelsea/Tottenham of this season has ever been overcome. Point being that even the great Sir Alex Ferguson can have his team lose focus.

Man Utd then lost to Wigan (A), drew with Everton (H), lost to Man City (A) whilst Man City won every single won of their fixtures.
That Manchester derby was what clinched it, though. Fergie went all out to not get beat and City found a way through.

If only we had a league match against Chelsea to catch them. We'll just have to settle for kicking the shite out of them on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom