Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we end up in the EL next season Toby & Japh is an ideal combo. Ditto league cup.
Possibly, but I just don't see a need for Toby, especially since despite his waning abilities he's getting a superstar wage. Someone younger, faster with the desire to improve themselves. I don't see Toby being content with a back up role despite that being exactly what he is.

Toby needs to up his game, but with a big run of games coming up after this 9 day break he will get his chance. Up to him to take it.

Toby needs to up his game, but with a big run of games coming up after this 9 day break he will get his chance. Up to him to take it.

I say stick with Dav/Dier..... CB doesn't require the same degree of rotation that other positions might.

Toby wasn't given a new contact because he has been playing crap. I'm glad that Sanchez' current form is good but Toby will be playing a few games this season.

Toby wasn't given a new contact because he has been playing crap. I'm glad that Sanchez' current form is good but Toby will be playing a few games this season.

This is coming from the same person that thinks Vert shouldn't have been dropped either.

It wasn't great performances that scored Toby a new contract.

Mind you, he did let slip that he thought Eriksen's missus was a crap shag; that he'd told Jan it wouldn't be worth it and that nor would the black eye she'd give him for sharing the pics around the dressing room.

You musta missed that bit....

Don’t forget Eriksen’s missus couldn’t make a decent cup of tea after the shag
Now that’s serious!!

Possibly, but I just don't see a need for Toby, especially since despite his waning abilities he's getting a superstar wage. Someone younger, faster with the desire to improve themselves. I don't see Toby being content with a back up role despite that being exactly what he is.

I think the need for Toby is that the other guys Sanchez, Tanganga and even Dier are relatively young or inexperienced so it is nice to have a guy like Toby there to help them whether in training or in games.

Also Toby is lightyears better than Dier. Dier has been ok, not great, the last two games but it is doubtful he is able to keep up even this modest level of play and when he goes back to being terrible it would be nice to have Toby be able to step in (although he should already be playing ahead of him).

i think long term it would be nice to have someone come in that can play with Tanganga as the feature CB pair and put Dier and Sanchez on the bench but until that player is ready Toby is good for the next year or two to hold that spot.

I think the need for Toby is that the other guys Sanchez, Tanganga and even Dier are relatively young or inexperienced so it is nice to have a guy like Toby there to help them whether in training or in games.

Also Toby is lightyears better than Dier. Dier has been ok, not great, the last two games but it is doubtful he is able to keep up even this modest level of play and when he goes back to being terrible it would be nice to have Toby be able to step in (although he should already be playing ahead of him).

i think long term it would be nice to have someone come in that can play with Tanganga as the feature CB pair and put Dier and Sanchez on the bench but until that player is ready Toby is good for the next year or two to hold that spot.
Watch Toby's performances against Chelsea, Villa, Bayern Brighton, Olympiakos, Norwich (2-2), and other instances. He's done, past it.

His performance against Villa, goal aside was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The one where Grealish just ran past him while Toby just stood and admired was cringeworthy and embarrassing defending.

Dier is now a far better defender, Sanchez has been better for the last two seasons.

Watch Toby's performances against Chelsea, Villa, Bayern Brighton, Olympiakos, Norwich (2-2), and other instances. He's done, past it.

His performance against Villa, goal aside was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The one where Grealish just ran past him while Toby just stood and admired was cringeworthy and embarrassing defending.

Dier is now a far better defender, Sanchez has been better for the last two seasons.

I very much disagree he is a much better defender than Dier and similar level to Sanchez and unlike those two he actually can make a pass that isn't back to Lloris. He certainly isn't at the level he was in his prime but he still is an effective defender and adds much needed ball movement to a backline that desperately lacks it.

Bring in a (ideally young) CB that can move the ball and I am fine pairing Sanchez with that guy ahead of Toby but pairing Sanchez with another plug at moving the ball is a terrible option.

Dier is free to take his past two mediocre games use that to get us an overpayment from another club.

Toby is still good. Dier is getting good again after injury and illness. Sanchez is currently good after not being good and long may that continue.

I very much disagree he is a much better defender than Dier and similar level to Sanchez and unlike those two he actually can make a pass that isn't back to Lloris. He certainly isn't at the level he was in his prime but he still is an effective defender and adds much needed ball movement to a backline that desperately lacks it.

Bring in a (ideally young) CB that can move the ball and I am fine pairing Sanchez with that guy ahead of Toby but pairing Sanchez with another plug at moving the ball is a terrible option.

Dier is free to take his past two mediocre games use that to get us an overpayment from another club.
He certainly can pass a ball, no doubt.

He can't run, win a header, close a player down or win a 50/50.

Not much to ask for a defender.

Back in your DeLorean!

He certainly can pass a ball, no doubt.

He can't run, win a header, close a player down or win a 50/50.

Not much to ask for a defender.

Back in your DeLorean!

I obviously don't agree with the second part of your assessment but even if you have issues with his ability to do those things he definitely does them all better than Eric Dier does. Now we should have higher standards than that which is why I prefer upgrading the spot and having Toby as the 3/4 CB with Tanganga but with limited funds and many holes I am not sure that is a reality.

I obviously don't agree with the second part of your assessment but even if you have issues with his ability to do those things he definitely does them all better than Eric Dier does. Now we should have higher standards than that which is why I prefer upgrading the spot and having Toby as the 3/4 CB with Tanganga but with limited funds and many holes I am not sure that is a reality.
We Mourinho obviously disagrees with you, since toby is on the bench and Dier is playing.

We have also just got our first clean sheet of the year on Dier’s watch and he had Antonio in his back pocket. A Player that has made both toby and jan look like school boys on multiple occasions in the past few years.

I love Toby and I’m happy to have him in the squad passing on his experience, but he is no longer a top class defender. Dier’s passing has looked great in these past two games so I don’t know what you have been watching.

Back
Top Bottom