Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was not good v Newcastle but he was faultless today defensively.
Punted 3 long balls forward that came to nothing. Today I will forgive.
:tobyarm:

All the defenders will punt balls forward that come to nothing whilst Jose is here. I don't care as long as we keep clean sheets or sometimes concede the odd goal

Looked up his age just now, surprised to find he is only 31 - I thought he would be around 33. So should have two good seasons left in him at the top level. If Mourinho can rejuvenate his form long term then it could be like making a £50 million signing in defence.
And Lloris has finally been looking world class of late too.

He was great against Newcastle and very good again today. Earlier in the season he looked like he was falling off with age like Jan has but he has been great recently which is key as we can likely get by next year now with him carrying Sanchez if Mourinho can finally get over his obsession with Dier.

He was great against Newcastle and very good again today. Earlier in the season he looked like he was falling off with age like Jan has but he has been great recently which is key as we can likely get by next year now with him carrying Sanchez if Mourinho can finally get over his obsession with Dier.
It all depends on how we set up. Again, like yesterday camped on the edge of our box there isn't exactly much running for him to do, no balls over the top or behind our defence where even Giroud has outpaced him.

With all this talk of needing more quality at centre back, we've got a guy on the bench who was one of the very best. He's still only 31.

He's not had horrific injuries. He never relied too much on his pace. 31 is not old. I think of the likes of Gareth Barry or even John Terry who won the champions league at the same age.

It would great to see one last big season from him. Mourinho seems to have gone with Dier, and I'm sure he has reason, but I can't help thinking Toby should still be leading our back 4.

I still think Davy and Toby should be our first choice pairing. Davy would learn a lot more from Toby and Davy could cover Toby's lack of speed.

I would also experiment with a back three with these two and either Ben or Eric. Now we've got a couple of 'bombing' full backs, it might work.

Surely it's best to mix it up a bit, so we're not predictable.

We also need to utilise our 4th CB whether that is Tanganga or Rodon. Cannot wait for a CB to get injured and be forced into playing our 4th choice without match practice or getting Davies to play there forcing Reguilon to play every match. We now have cover for every position and must use it to keep the whole squad match fit. Forwards/midfielders tend to get on as subs but not CB's.

Back
Top Bottom