Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cant expect Mourinho to come in and win every game until the end of the season and play well all the time.

Tonight is a symptom of the issues that have festered for at least a year with this squad, a bad performance was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

It's still Poch's team not Mourinho's so it's not going to drastically change in less than 5 games

It's one game....
It's not one game. It's been like this for around 14 months. The team has aged in places that are vital in modern football. We look like what we are out moded. Fullbacks are the life blood of modern sides. Why we allowed this baffles me. Then there's the lack of brain for the side ACM is also critical and ours is already playing for Madrid. Throw in a broken Wanyama/Dire protecting old slow CB and is so much more than changing a coach. There are no magic spells for Jose or anyone. We have to buy or make what we need and fast. Time to try Foyth at CDM.

I’m not worried. Unlike Poch, Mou will simply drop people who don’t do what they are told. He already dropped Rose, one of our worst and most bigheaded players. After today, he will be questioning some others as well. Poch was too soft and too loyal to some of them, to win you need to be ruthless.

It's not one game. It's been like this for around 14 months. The team has aged in places that are vital in modern football. We look like what we are out moded. Fullbacks are the life blood of modern sides. Why we allowed this baffles me. Then there's the lack of brain for the side ACM is also critical and ours is already playing for Madrid. Throw in a broken Wanyama/Dire protecting old slow CB and is so much more than changing a coach. There are no magic spells for Jose or anyone. We have to buy or make what we need and fast. Time to try Foyth at CDM.
Too true. We have much to be thankful of off field. On field has been neglected though. Whether it's Levy's or pochs fault we might never know but I think we'll find out in January

We've been starting games badly for a long time. I suppose it is not like flicking a switch.

The lads looked low on confidence again tonight. 11 individuals not a collective moving, knowing where to move, how to manipulate space for their teammates etc it was back to ball to feet, back to not wanting to take responsibility.

Old wounds looked reopened because of the early goals both halves of the game. We have to remember that the players are still new to the manager, they are still testing the waters as is he. He'd have seen the flaws in Gazzaniga, Aurier, Sissoko, Winks, Lucas tonight no question. Jose will get it right, we forget that he hasn't got the added advantage of living and breathing this team like we have over the past 15 months, he's playing catch up on the issues we face but if he's worth his salt, he'll see the cracks like we've been seeing during the end of the Poch tenure. It's just a heavy one as that was a shit Man U team and I'm sure he knows it.

Last edited:
Tbf 3 games in a week with a squad that has, allegedly, been overtrained with more than half the team playing every fixture didn't help

What on earth are you guys on about - the tactic from the special genius today was hoofball- early, mostly blind long balls into no-mansland. If you are not a Burnley player such tactics can make you look poor, don't mistake that for all sorts of personell problems etc. etc.

What on earth are you guys on about - the tactic from the special genius today was hoofball- early, mostly blind long balls into no-mansland. If you are not a Burnley player such tactics can make you look poor, don't mistake that for all sorts of personell problems etc. etc.

At the moment it's damage limitation mate. You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a donkey but you can take him to Blackpool to earn yourself a few quid along the way.

Our fullbacks and our CM assist wise is a shambles all over compared to better teams so the manager is cutting them out to utilise the ball elsewhere. We are limping a team the moment, if management was as easy as saying do this and people did it, we'd all be polishing winners medals and writing books about our success.

If you go on transfermkt and look at the assist return from Aurier, Rose, Foyth, Davies, Winks, Sissoko & Lucas since they became lilywhites, you'd probably see enough evidence to show just why we are cutting this lot out as often as we are from time to time until we get a pattern or a replacement or two in place.

He got out witted tactically by ole. Worrying times.

Poch was overachieving by polishing turds for years to a point people believed he had a world class squad. You could put the likes of Winks and Sissoko in Luton team and no one would raise an eyebrow because that's their true level.

Poch was a great manager that was failed by the club.

All of this is 100% on Daniel Levy.

totally agree

If you believed that Poch deserved the full blame for our poor run of form, you were probably way too unfair to him. Likewise, if you think that it was all on the players and he was blameless, you were blinded by your affinity for Poch.

If you think that with Mourinho coming into this and grinding out three wins on the bounce that all of our issues were fixed, your expectations are likely way too high and haven't been realistic about some of our deficiencies.

The cracks were still visible in the past two games, the wins were just able to paper over them.

I am not traditionally a fan of Mourinho but I am giving him a chance to show a new side of him, and to give him the time to do what needs to be done to address our issues. He has an outstanding base of players to work with but there are clearly weaknesses in the squad. January will be a very interesting time for us, and despite this loss I'm feeling more optimistic that I have in a long time.

United are utterly diabolical and yet we made them look like City or Liverpool at times, surely two managers in a row can't be making the exact same mistakes can they?

Well the answer is, no, I don't think they are.

For me the answer is yes. It is just whether Jose is making them because he wants to prove Poch's methods wrong, or he is genuinely at a loss, or he would not have made the same signings Poch did in the summer.

I agree the players are not good enough, defensively, but as a manager you are paid to put that right.

I’m a novice and have a genuine question. What’s the difference between Aurier and Trippier? Same defensive mistakes, same inability to give a decent cross the vast majority of the time, etc. And are we sure that Aurier is better than Rose?

Last edited:
For months now I have been saying that Pochettino was the reason behind our terrible form, poor tactics, losing the players, training burning them out etc.

Then tonight rolled around...new manager and yet again, we start the game and I am thinking "what the fuck are we doing tactically here? We are all over the place!"

Honestly, you could have told me Poch was still in charge and I would have believed you.

United are utterly diabolical and yet we made them look like City or Liverpool at times, surely two managers in a row can't be making the exact same mistakes can they?

Well the answer is, no, I don't think they are.

I think the players are making the same mistakes and by mistakes I mean, being lazy and not showing the right attitude and some of them in that dressing room need a rocket firing up them quite frankly because it's fucking me off.

I don't know if they have just all lost confidence or if they think they don't need to apply themselves anymore or what, I really don't know what the issue is at this point, are our players just seriously overrated because of what our previous manager achieved with them? Because watching that game tonight has pissed me off like no other before, we fucking stank the place out, other than one piece of utter magic from Dele that was, frankly, rancid.

I think looking at Dele after the final whistle he genuinely looked torn up and I think it's because he feels guilty about what happened to Poch and more importantly he knows the attitude wasn't right from some of our players and maybe that is the crux of the issue here.

Mourinho was honest as well, he gave them clear instructions and they failed to follow them, I don't know what it's going to take for this group of players to understand that you can't just turn up to games and expect to win with a half arsed performance, doesn't matter how shit the other team are on paper, if you're attitude isn't right then you will not win.

I keep hearing "the humble one" thrown around, right now we need the old Jose, we need some fire in that dressing room to seperate the cowards from the ones who really want to stay here and fight to make this club one of the greats in world football.

Otherwise, well, we have a very long road ahead of us and one that maybe even Jose can't fix without spending to remove the ones that lack the spine for the job.

Am I kneejerking here? Genuine question? Or is this deeper than just a manager being the issue?

Good post.

I am fcuking hacked off today.

Straight after the game I shut down. Not going to listen to the excuses or the reasons. Not talking to anyone at work about it. Head down.

I am not going to look forward to playing Burnley or how it will be fine as it was just one game.

Last night was the question and answer. We are rank average.

I await the next chapter with limited expectation regardless of the manager and one or two quality players.

The squad needs dismantling and recharging because it has well and truly run its course.

Back
Top Bottom