Tony Galvin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mrs Perryman

Supporter
I'm a Cockney Malteser 👑
“Tony, Tony Galvin, Tony Galvin on the wing” – felt like singing that to Tony at the latest Graham Roberts’ call. He looks so different from his playing days – not a hair on his head and quite portly.
Anyway, started off with the usual playing stats (if you’re that interested google them!). Born in Huddersfield (he’s exactly a week younger than me!), and he is one of a very few footballers who went to University, studied Russian and intended to become a teacher.
He played for Goole Town in the Northern Premier League, paid £5 per week, which was a decent amount for a student. In 1978, Bill Nick saw him play against Buxton, only bothered to watch the first half, as the weather was appalling. But he had seen enough to recommend him to Keith, and we signed him for £5,000. He started off as a part timer, as it was considered sensible for Tony to finish his teacher training course, in case he didn’t make it in the game.
He got on well with both Bill and Keith, as they were fellow Yorkshiremen. Tony thought there were quite similar in their approach to the game and players, neither were free with praise and both were very straight talking. But Tony was always grateful to have any discussion with Bill, as he had a lot of respect for him. Keith was old school and felt he should have full control over the footballing side of things; he only left because Scholar wanted to interefere.
Tony’s career with us didn’t get off to a great start, as he had a serious pelvic injury, and Tony said that the Club was very supportive in getting him fit. He was 24 by the time he broke into the first team, which is relatively old to start playing at the top level. Coming from non-league football goes one of two ways – either you become a better player because you play with better players, or you are out of your depth.
His debut was against QPR, coming on to replace Ricky. He didn’t become a regular until 1981, but what a year to do that! He said that the best moment of his career was walking out onto the Wembley pitch for the first time in the FA Cup Final, as it was just a dream come true – the atmosphere and the noise just hits you. The team did feel pressure to win a trophy as it had been a few years since we had won one (know that feeling!) and expectations were high. This showed in the way we played and he felt we were quite lucky to manage to get a replay. The following season, he felt we were a much better team, played with a lot of freedom, but a victim of our own success, as we had a ridiculous amount of games towards the end, and we didn’t have a huge squad. Souness ‘did’ him early on in the League Cup Final, but he had to stay on the pitch, as only one sub. He also mentioned the Barca team we played in the Cup Winners’ Cup was the dirtiest team he had ever played against and we also had a bent ref.
The best game he was involved in was the game against Feyenoord in 1983, especially the first half, when Glenn outshone Cruyff , and Tony scored twice, considers it an honour to have been involved in such a game.
He thought Peter Shreeves was an excellent coach, had a really good first season, but fell short in his second, so was sacked. David Pleat took over and wanted to create his own team. It was obvious that Tony wasn’t in his plans, so he was sold to Sheffield Wednesday. Tony, like the other players that were let go by Pleat, all have said the same – they appreciate that things change in football, but there was no dignity in their departure, because Pleat was not a big player/club manager. Tony didn’t want to go, but once the manager wants you out, there’s no way you can stay. It was ironic that Pleat was sacked a few weeks after Tony left.
Tony’s time with Wednesday was hampered by injuries and he moved on after a couple of years to link up with Ossie at Swindon. He then joined the coaching team, and followed Ossie to Newcastle in a similar role. Ossie had a tough time at Newcastle, no money and only knew how to attack, so no surprise when he got pushed out.
Tony’s international career came about because Chris Houghton told him he could qualify playing for Ireland through his grandfather. Apparently, his grandmother was Scottish, but as they didn’t ask him to play for them, he picked Ireland! It took the FAI two years to verify his credentials, meaning he missed about 10 internationals games. Jack Charlton was responsible for improving facilities for the Irish team, as the set up was amateurish, and gained players’ respect from the off. He know his own mind, but expected complete compliance from the players, or they were out.
His best memory with Ireland was the victory against England in the 1988 Euros, as no-one expected it. Glenn changed the game when he came on at half time, and the Irish took a battering but managed to hold out – Jack was very emotional after that game.
Once Tony’s playing career was over, he did apply for a few coaching jobs, but never got an interview. He decided to go back to teaching in further education for 16-18 year-olds. However, he never used his degree in Russian studies.
He’s not a great one for watching football on TV, and feels very privileged when he is invited to take part in hospitality at the new stadium, and that the best atmosphere so far was against Manchester City in the Champions League.
He thinks that Jose is buying the right players to strengthen the defence, which will lead to better attacking opportunities for Dele, Sonny and Harry; he’s pretty confident that we will get 3rd or 4th! He does think that we need to win a trophy, and Jose will want and need that too, and expects him to target the Europa League.
He was sad to see Poch go, but like a lot of us, is mystified how we didn’t win a trophy with the players we had. He feels that he made some awful selection choices in the cup competitions which really hurt us. He thinks that Poch will end up at Man U.
He loved playing with Maradona in Ossie’s testimonial, even managing playing a couple of one-twos with him in the game. He felt blessed to be on the same pitch as Maradona. His best memory though was that we had a free kick on the edge of the box, Maradona, Glenn and Chris Waddle were lining up, deciding who was to take it, but Paul Miller just took it and kicked it high into the stand. After the game, Maradona was signing autographs doing keepy-uppies and he had his eye on Clive Allen’s boots.
Tony was asked who we should look to sign – and he said his first choice would be Zaha, a Spurs-type player. When Bale’s name came up, he doesn’t think it will happen, as too many issues in the way, but he would be a great addition to the side. We probably would need to sell Tanguy to free up some funds, maybe a straight swap with Tanguy and Coutinho. Diego Costa – bit of a nutcase! Troy Deeney – OK as a backup. Callum Wilson – OK but would he be happy as a backup? He reckons that Jose would have never let Llorente go.
With regards to the documentary, Robbo thinks that it will show the Club in a positive light, and will concentrate more on Jose’s coming rather than Poch’s departure. Tony thought that there was something up at the time, as he was at the Spurs v Woolwich Women’s game, and Levy either didn’t recognise him or he was avoiding him, as Poch was sacked a few days later. Tony was asked why he didn’t wear shinpads – it was a mental issue with him, he just felt that they slowed him down. Keith would make him wear them, after five minutes he would take them off and throw them away, Johnny Wallis would go mad as they would inevitably go missing.
Tony said that someone would put on the video of ‘Diamond Lights’ on the team bus, and they would take the mickey out of Glenn & Chris; Glenn took the teasing a lot better than Chris. Maxie was the biggest prankster in the team, and is still telling the same jokes now.
I asked both Robbo and Tony as to whether they would do the Skywalk – Robbo straight away said, no way, but Tony said he might, given the chance.
Best player he played with at Spurs – Ossie; best opponent – Gullitt; best manager – Keith; Messi or Ronaldo – Ronaldo; FA Cup or UEFA Cup – UEFA.
He still coaches at primary school on a voluntary basis, although none of the kids have a clue as to who he is. Tony came over as a blunt, honest guy, with a wicked sense of humour. I think he would have sworn a lot more if there hadn’t been women on the call!
Robbo on holiday now, so there will be a break from these calls for a few weeks, looking at doing things differently, but didn't say how, so Watch This Space!

“Tony, Tony Galvin, Tony Galvin on the wing” – felt like singing that to Tony at the latest Graham Roberts’ call. He looks so different from his playing days – not a hair on his head and quite portly.
Anyway, started off with the usual playing stats (if you’re that interested google them!). Born in Huddersfield (he’s exactly a week younger than me!), and he is one of a very few footballers who went to University, studied Russian and intended to become a teacher.
He played for Goole Town in the Northern Premier League, paid £5 per week, which was a decent amount for a student. In 1978, Bill Nick saw him play against Buxton, only bothered to watch the first half, as the weather was appalling. But he had seen enough to recommend him to Keith, and we signed him for £5,000. He started off as a part timer, as it was considered sensible for Tony to finish his teacher training course, in case he didn’t make it in the game.
He got on well with both Bill and Keith, as they were fellow Yorkshiremen. Tony thought there were quite similar in their approach to the game and players, neither were free with praise and both were very straight talking. But Tony was always grateful to have any discussion with Bill, as he had a lot of respect for him. Keith was old school and felt he should have full control over the footballing side of things; he only left because Scholar wanted to interefere.
Tony’s career with us didn’t get off to a great start, as he had a serious pelvic injury, and Tony said that the Club was very supportive in getting him fit. He was 24 by the time he broke into the first team, which is relatively old to start playing at the top level. Coming from non-league football goes one of two ways – either you become a better player because you play with better players, or you are out of your depth.
His debut was against QPR, coming on to replace Ricky. He didn’t become a regular until 1981, but what a year to do that! He said that the best moment of his career was walking out onto the Wembley pitch for the first time in the FA Cup Final, as it was just a dream come true – the atmosphere and the noise just hits you. The team did feel pressure to win a trophy as it had been a few years since we had won one (know that feeling!) and expectations were high. This showed in the way we played and he felt we were quite lucky to manage to get a replay. The following season, he felt we were a much better team, played with a lot of freedom, but a victim of our own success, as we had a ridiculous amount of games towards the end, and we didn’t have a huge squad. Souness ‘did’ him early on in the League Cup Final, but he had to stay on the pitch, as only one sub. He also mentioned the Barca team we played in the Cup Winners’ Cup was the dirtiest team he had ever played against and we also had a bent ref.
The best game he was involved in was the game against Feyenoord in 1983, especially the first half, when Glenn outshone Cruyff , and Tony scored twice, considers it an honour to have been involved in such a game.
He thought Peter Shreeves was an excellent coach, had a really good first season, but fell short in his second, so was sacked. David Pleat took over and wanted to create his own team. It was obvious that Tony wasn’t in his plans, so he was sold to Sheffield Wednesday. Tony, like the other players that were let go by Pleat, all have said the same – they appreciate that things change in football, but there was no dignity in their departure, because Pleat was not a big player/club manager. Tony didn’t want to go, but once the manager wants you out, there’s no way you can stay. It was ironic that Pleat was sacked a few weeks after Tony left.
Tony’s time with Wednesday was hampered by injuries and he moved on after a couple of years to link up with Ossie at Swindon. He then joined the coaching team, and followed Ossie to Newcastle in a similar role. Ossie had a tough time at Newcastle, no money and only knew how to attack, so no surprise when he got pushed out.
Tony’s international career came about because Chris Houghton told him he could qualify playing for Ireland through his grandfather. Apparently, his grandmother was Scottish, but as they didn’t ask him to play for them, he picked Ireland! It took the FAI two years to verify his credentials, meaning he missed about 10 internationals games. Jack Charlton was responsible for improving facilities for the Irish team, as the set up was amateurish, and gained players’ respect from the off. He know his own mind, but expected complete compliance from the players, or they were out.
His best memory with Ireland was the victory against England in the 1988 Euros, as no-one expected it. Glenn changed the game when he came on at half time, and the Irish took a battering but managed to hold out – Jack was very emotional after that game.
Once Tony’s playing career was over, he did apply for a few coaching jobs, but never got an interview. He decided to go back to teaching in further education for 16-18 year-olds. However, he never used his degree in Russian studies.
He’s not a great one for watching football on TV, and feels very privileged when he is invited to take part in hospitality at the new stadium, and that the best atmosphere so far was against Manchester City in the Champions League.
He thinks that Jose is buying the right players to strengthen the defence, which will lead to better attacking opportunities for Dele, Sonny and Harry; he’s pretty confident that we will get 3rd or 4th! He does think that we need to win a trophy, and Jose will want and need that too, and expects him to target the Europa League.
He was sad to see Poch go, but like a lot of us, is mystified how we didn’t win a trophy with the players we had. He feels that he made some awful selection choices in the cup competitions which really hurt us. He thinks that Poch will end up at Man U.
He loved playing with Maradona in Ossie’s testimonial, even managing playing a couple of one-twos with him in the game. He felt blessed to be on the same pitch as Maradona. His best memory though was that we had a free kick on the edge of the box, Maradona, Glenn and Chris Waddle were lining up, deciding who was to take it, but Paul Miller just took it and kicked it high into the stand. After the game, Maradona was signing autographs doing keepy-uppies and he had his eye on Clive Allen’s boots.
Tony was asked who we should look to sign – and he said his first choice would be Zaha, a Spurs-type player. When Bale’s name came up, he doesn’t think it will happen, as too many issues in the way, but he would be a great addition to the side. We probably would need to sell Tanguy to free up some funds, maybe a straight swap with Tanguy and Coutinho. Diego Costa – bit of a nutcase! Troy Deeney – OK as a backup. Callum Wilson – OK but would he be happy as a backup? He reckons that Jose would have never let Llorente go.
With regards to the documentary, Robbo thinks that it will show the Club in a positive light, and will concentrate more on Jose’s coming rather than Poch’s departure. Tony thought that there was something up at the time, as he was at the Spurs v Woolwich Women’s game, and Levy either didn’t recognise him or he was avoiding him, as Poch was sacked a few days later. Tony was asked why he didn’t wear shinpads – it was a mental issue with him, he just felt that they slowed him down. Keith would make him wear them, after five minutes he would take them off and throw them away, Johnny Wallis would go mad as they would inevitably go missing.
Tony said that someone would put on the video of ‘Diamond Lights’ on the team bus, and they would take the mickey out of Glenn & Chris; Glenn took the teasing a lot better than Chris. Maxie was the biggest prankster in the team, and is still telling the same jokes now.
I asked both Robbo and Tony as to whether they would do the Skywalk – Robbo straight away said, no way, but Tony said he might, given the chance.
Best player he played with at Spurs – Ossie; best opponent – Gullitt; best manager – Keith; Messi or Ronaldo – Ronaldo; FA Cup or UEFA Cup – UEFA.
He still coaches at primary school on a voluntary basis, although none of the kids have a clue as to who he is. Tony came over as a blunt, honest guy, with a wicked sense of humour. I think he would have sworn a lot more if there hadn’t been women on the call!
Robbo on holiday now, so there will be a break from these calls for a few weeks, looking at doing things differently, but didn't say how, so Watch This Space!
Stupid question. Is Keith, Burkinshaw?

I met Graham Roberts and Mickey Hazard at one of the Spurs Store signings a couple of years ago. I got them to sign my programs for the 84 UEFA Cup Final and the Semi against Hadjuk Split (which Hazard scored the winner in) as well as my Glory Glory Nights book (reports for every European match from the 61/62 European Cup campaign to the Heysel ban).

I really enjoyed meeting the pair of them. Mickey even asked me to look something up in my book like we were kids in the school playground.

I met Graham Roberts and Mickey Hazard at one of the Spurs Store signings a couple of years ago. I got them to sign my programs for the 84 UEFA Cup Final and the Semi against Hadjuk Split (which Hazard scored the winner in) as well as my Glory Glory Nights book (reports for every European match from the 61/62 European Cup campaign to the Heysel ban).

I really enjoyed meeting the pair of them. Mickey even asked me to look something up in my book like we were kids in the school playground.
I love Mickey, he is such a genuine guy and loves the Club. He was badly hit by COVID, but as no news is good news, I hope that he is well on the road to a full recovery.

Robbo has done such a good

Robbo has done such a good job with these dial-ins, he stays on the line for a good half hour to talk to the people who have called in, and is as abrasive and full on as he was in his playing days - I love him, he's such a character.

I am quite chuffed to know I look like Tony Galvin

Why the brother?
The description, provided on the link to the book:

"Galvinised charts the contrasting fortunes of footballing brothers Chris and Tony Galvin. Elder brother Chris struggled to make it at Leeds United and then lower-league sides. Tony won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup with Spurs and enjoyed international success with Ireland. Their tales shows how tough it is to make it in the game."

The description, provided on the link to the book:

"Galvinised charts the contrasting fortunes of footballing brothers Chris and Tony Galvin. Elder brother Chris struggled to make it at Leeds United and then lower-league sides. Tony won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup with Spurs and enjoyed international success with Ireland. Their tales shows how tough it is to make it in the game."
I get the pitch...I just don't get the pitch. Its like a Harry and Charlie Kane book.

:kanehand:

Why the brother? :balesnarl:
Any hoo Kane would have loved playing with him. He'd get the ball beat a man and hang up a worldie cross. Every bloody time. Tell you what he was tough too he'd have been a brilliant Conte wing back.

Until he was nearly crippled by a Souness late tackle in the 1982League Cup final

Dirty bastard!

Back
Top Bottom