Toro Rosso Leipzig vs Tottenham Hotspur (10/3/20) (20:00 ko)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's surprising is that our pipeline of youth players appeared to have dried up.

We're not a club to go out and buy "world class players" (and even if we try, we're not very good at it) but what about our Academy?

Look at the pipeline that the Scousers, Chavs and yes, even Woolwich are starting to call on? Add in Foden, Sancho, Cantwell, James and a whole list of prospects that we've never heard about.

Ours? KWP, Winks, Skipp, Onomah, Carter-Vickers, Tanganga and Parrot, plus others that have been erased from my memory. Only Kane is the exception.

Where are our kids? Where's our equivalent of Mount or Tomori or Cantwell or Martinelli?
We prefer to buy other's youngsters.
Maybe we can't spot young players either !

What's surprising is that our pipeline of youth players appeared to have dried up.

We're not a club to go out and buy "world class players" (and even if we try, we're not very good at it) but what about our Academy?

Look at the pipeline that the Scousers, Chavs and yes, even Woolwich are starting to call on? Add in Foden, Sancho, Cantwell, James and a whole list of prospects that we've never heard about.

Ours? KWP, Winks, Skipp, Onomah, Carter-Vickers, Tanganga and Parrot, plus others that have been erased from my memory. Only Kane is the exception.

Where are our kids? Where's our equivalent of Mount or Tomori or Cantwell or Martinelli?
I've said it many times before, as fans we're guilty of seriously overrating our yoot, have been for some time now.

Our U23s have been way off the pace in their league for quite a few years, it's rare for our loanees to pull up any trees, most have gone to 3rd and 4th Division teams

Winks has had tonnes of first team minutes (which is a triumph for any academy at this level).

Skipp hasn't looked out of place and I suspect both he and KWP would be in better shape now had they had loans.

I guess Tanganga, Parrot, Cirkin & that Walcot kid are this generations hopes.

We also made of lot of money from the last generations Carrol, Andros, Mason & co.

Verdict: Could always be better, but not too bad.

Re: Dippers: TAA is the only one I can think of that has broken through in years. Am I forgetting someone?
Re: City: Sold Sancho (LOL wankers) & Foden's path has thus far been blocked by galacticos....
Re: Chavs: Probably the same as City if not for the irony that the ban they received for their illegal youth exploits actually forced them to blood their stockpiled kids.

Last edited:
...Begging the question; is there a shelf in the transfer market marked "mentally strong"?

We've been hearing the same thing since long before Poch. We've since accumulated internationals, former captains, league & world cup winners and are now managed by one of the most decorated managers in history and we're still coming up empty.

We never seem to buy leaders do we? Your Roy Keane, Patrick Viera type players who drag the team up by the lapels and if someone isn't pulling their weight or making mistakes they sort it out on the pitch so the manager doesn't have to step in.

Maybe these players don't exist anymore but we look bereft of leadership on the pitch

Genuine question. What do you believe, if anything, Poch got wrong?
What, if anything, he did get 'wrong' is immaterial at this point in time. But if there were things you can bet your ass I said it at that time instead of waiting to piss on his grave. I also tried to realize that many/most/all of his decisions were made under the constraints that everyone knows exist within the club. And finally I tried to view them within the larger context of his tenure and all that he got right.

Now this is the shit I can get with.

edit: But to be clear, you are saying that we should get our shit together so we can spend less this summer and let Mou coach 'em up good to play that sexy soccerball stuff for which he is renown wiht the flowing passes, quick vertical strikes, and high pressing?
What's it like in your world?

What, if anything, he did get 'wrong' is immaterial at this point in time. But if there were things you can bet your ass I said it at that time instead of waiting to piss on his grave. I also tried to realize that many/most/all of his decisions were made under the constraints that everyone knows exist within the club. And finally I tried to view them within the larger context of his tenure and all that he got right.

So not a lot then?
There are many managers making decisions under tougher constraints than exist at our club though, no?

What do you think Levy got wrong?

I though she has only come since Poch arrived, after Baldini left. She sometimes sits with DL during the games. She's relatively young (40+/-) so she looks younger than his wife. I believe she does some negotiations as well before DL steps in. She's an MBA I believe. But again, this is all from memory so I could be just as wrong as I was in my earlier post.
Does having an MBA qualify you as a football expert? I didn't realise.

When the crowd are singing "By far the greatest team...", in Daniel's mind he's singing

And its the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium built by meeee
It's by far the most revenue-diverse entertainment hub
The world has ever seen
Hit the nail on the head!

Do you remember the name of it?
Might give it a try next time I’m there
Most ‘Indian’ restaurants are Bangladeshi so good to find an authentic one!

Not in very good taste I'm afraid,. There are some things you just shouldn't include in a joke. Some of us on here are old enough to have lost family in some of those places so I would ask you in the nicest way not to reference them. Thanks.
Strange that this simple and polite request should get a "haha"from a German. Makes you wonder.....

The result was what I expected, but hoped the expectation was wrong.
We cannot perform with half a team, but we don't seem to have any "oomph" about us. We just seemed drained of any energy, ideas or commitment to the cause.
I don't know what the answer is, let's hope the coaching staff do!

If only there was a table thingy to tangibly measure these things.
The proof will be where we finish next season, after the shopping has been done and Jose has had a pre season and a whole season of games under his belt. I'm not a believer or a non believer. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

We're not "glamorous " any more. So we don't attract them.

Back
Top Bottom