Tottenham’s Greatest Ever Striker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard to look past Jimmy Greaves. Definitely a goal-scoring genius.

Look at his season by season record and it's just incredible. He's scoring 30+ goals a season as a teenager and maintains that for most of the 1960's. Can't think of anyone else that can match those numbers from such a young age.

Harry Kane and Jimmy Greaves really are from different eras (not just the 50 or so years) in so many ways - the whole area of training is hugely changed with trained being something that takes up a full day for Kane on 'no match' days, whereas for Greaves and co training was very much a couple of hours, with afternoons dedicated to golf, days in pubs or whatever and at half time in a match Greaves would be known to have a swift half or pint and a fag - unthinkable to today's generation.

And if you go back 50 or 60 years before Greaves, Spurs star striker was Vivian Woodward, - 61 goals in 131 league games (about 1 in 2) and with an England career of 29 goals in 23 matches.....but at that time England caps were only awarded for games against the Home Nations, with games v France, Netherlands and other european sides being played by the England amateur side of for which Woodward played with 57 goals in 44 matches.

Interestingly FIFA recognise most of these amateur games as being full caps, although not the FA, and under FIFA rules Woodward would the be all time highest England goalscorer, not Rooney, but even under the FA rules he was highest ever England goalscorer for almost 50 years after he retired.

Woodward captained Spurs, England and England amateurs as well as a Great Britain side who won the olympics football in 1908 and 1912.

And all that as an amateur, being a full time architect by day so limited time for training and indeed could have played more for Spurs if he had not needed a full time day job to earn money - so he cannot be compared to Greaves due to the level of training he did (or rather didn't do)

Kane is a fantastic player and fantastic goalscorer - and so was Greaves before him and no doubt Woodward before him.

Just from such different eras we really cannot easily compare them.

Fuck Lineker up the arse with a twirling lawnmower.......
Next!

tenor.gif

One striker we had in the 70's who had an excellent scoring record for us, was John Duncan.
Trouble was, he was too injury-prone.
It'll be 35 years tomorrow that I saw us play at Chesterfield in a pre-season friendly.
Had a chat with John before the game. (he was their manager at the time)
He said one of his biggest regrets was leaving us to go to Derby in '78. We had Jonah, Gerry Armstrong and Colin Lee as strikers at the time. He was definitely better than them, and I was certainly surprised that he decided to leave.
I mentioned him further up the thread.He was my hero,after big Pat left.He was mustard,but as you say injury prone.
I thought him and Jonah were a great partnership. You look at the amount of goals Dunc got from a nod down or a flick from Chris Jones. Top memories

Paul Mahorn. If you had seen him play and score in that league cup game in 97 you would know what a good striker actually was.

Neal Fenn & Rory Allen probably the best partnership I saw. Tore United a new one in that classic FA Cup match in Jan 97.

have a lot of love for the 97 era.

The stats all point to Greaves but since i've supported us (1975) i'm going for Kane. Klinsmann was arguably the most talented but he was only here 18 months. Kane's all round game, his workrate and the way he has pushed the club on, almost on his own at times is phenominal.
Harry is definitely the best i have seen. Sheringham,the best all round footballing forward(though Harry may surpass him).

Before my time, but Alan Gilzean deserves a mention.
I have heard many say that we should have kept JG and just bought Martin Peters off West ham.It would have been mustard with him just behind Greaves and Gilzean.
Gilzean was best header of the ball I have seen. Scored a lot of goals with his head.

I have to go with Greaves but Harry could take the crown in time (assuming he stays long enough).

Chivers also gets overlooked as well. Probably because he wasn't particularly glamorous & came immediately after Greaves.

In his 8½-year Spurs career, Chivers scored a total of 174 goals in 367 first-team appearances and remained the leading Tottenham goalscorer in European competition for 39 years until he was overtaken by Jermain Defoe on 7 November 2013. He was capped 24 times for England, scoring 13 goals.
There was friction between him and Bill Nick. The latter could be very spikey and Chiv seemed like the type who needed a more sympathetic encouraging manager.

The guy's goals could be sensational - screamers right and left foot, great header of the ball, tall, strong, good target man, deceptively pacy too. Amazing long throw too.

I got 91 but would have got 5 more but for spelling mistakes (somehow Carrick was one 😂). I did however forget about Dele, even with the clue I had no idea who it was. I don’t know if that looks worse for me as an idiot or Dele for becoming so forgettable as a footballer.
84, but you need more time if it is going to be fair. Typos and difficult names to spell hook you up for seconds. I needed about 10 goes to get Alderweireld.

Back
Top Bottom