Tottenham’s Greatest Ever Striker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like I mentioned "If" he wins multiple trophies for us and breaks Greaves goal record.

In my book that still wouldn’t make him a better striker

I’ve seen both
I’ve seen Chivers

Greavsie all day long!

Brilliant control great pace
He had the lot

Greaves falls into a Different class for me, His name goes into the pot of Greatest striker of all time, anywhere. His ability to hit the ball just inside of the post was ridiculous.

and a little shout out for Chris Jones. Just remember his goals with affection. Not many like.

Never seen greaves play but obviously the older generation say he was the best. For me its klinsmann. He lifted the gloom at club at time and was fearless. In the box he was mayhem and clinical. Remember going to highbury in 95 and klinsmann was marked out of game for 80 minutes by their back four. 10 minutes to go he popped up and scored a quality header. He was never out of game. One of my favourite ever players tbh.

Loved Juergen but he wasn’t a Spur and he wasn’t as good as Greavsie

JG’s record also includes 2 FA Cups, 1 European trophy and 2 Charity Shields.

HK could end up with a better record but we have to start delivering trophies.

Greaves

If he'd played for Spurs from the beginning, the mind boggles.

He scored 132 League goals in 169 games at a crap Chavs team. He was dropped in that sensational first season there (to stop it all going to his head!!). After 6 weeks, restored to the team, scored 4 goals in a 7-4 win.

A full career at WHL, he might well have got 400 league goals. That would put him way ahead of anyone else.

Can’t believe this lad hasn’t been given a mention 😂

Roman-Pavlyuchenko-1090065.jpg

Redknapp: “I signed this Russian lad Pavlyuchenko," said Redknapp. "I said to him, you need to start playing better or I will pull you off at half-time.”

Pavlyuchenko: “Fantastic, in Russia we only get an orange at half-time."

:harrylol:
I remember reading about someone (Hoddle?) not a great goal scorer but a scorer of great goals.

Well, SuperPav's goals were some of the best I've ever seen. Greaves would always outscore him, but he'd never score those belters

Haven't seen any mention of descendants.

You might find this article on him interesting - not just cricket also a top tennis player in his day.

Also how the press reported his death - but now almost forgotten as a football player.

(12) Evening News (February, 1954)

(13) The Times (February, 1954)
You just know he smoked a pipe as well,don't ya :)

Used to love Teddy, one of the cleverest strikers to ever play the game. Keano, almost as clever. For lethalness (is there such a word?!) Klinsman, Defoe and Clive Allen.
But i go with the majority and vote Greaves. Hopefully Kane will surpass him and become the greatest. 👍

I think we need to look beyond the amount of goals the striker scored and consider the player's all round game. A player like Sheringham who had the intelligence to create space and bring others into the game is worth a thousand Linekers IMO even if he didn't score as many goals.

I'm not old enough to remember the Glory Glory days but I've watched lots of old matches, read books and studied the history of the club. I think I'm going to give the nod to Alan Gilzean; neither Greaves or Chivers would have excelled as they did without Gilzean. I think it says a lot about a player if you still need him in your team when he's at the age of 35 or 36. Danny Blanchflower is the only other outfield player I can think of who achieved that distinction. Sheringham aged well but by the time he got to 36 we needed him like a hole in the head. Gilzean and Blanchflower were key players.

Clive Allen if you want stats. Even Kane won't break that record!
I wouldn't be so sure. If Kane has a season where he's fully fit for every game, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats Allen's record. It wouldn't surprise me that much if he beat Dixie Dean's record, to be honest, He's that good.

Back
Top Bottom