Tottenham’s Greatest Ever Striker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The stats all point to Greaves but since i've supported us (1975) i'm going for Kane. Klinsmann was arguably the most talented but he was only here 18 months. Kane's all round game, his workrate and the way he has pushed the club on, almost on his own at times is phenominal.

The stats all point to Greaves but since i've supported us (1975) i'm going for Kane. Klinsmann was arguably the most talented but he was only here 18 months. Kane's all round game, his workrate and the way he has pushed the club on, almost on his own at times is phenominal.
Harry is definitely the best i have seen. Sheringham,the best all round footballing forward(though Harry may surpass him).

One striker we had in the 70's who had an excellent scoring record for us, was John Duncan.
Trouble was, he was too injury-prone.
It'll be 35 years tomorrow that I saw us play at Chesterfield in a pre-season friendly.
Had a chat with John before the game. (he was their manager at the time)
He said one of his biggest regrets was leaving us to go to Derby in '78. We had Jonah, Gerry Armstrong and Colin Lee as strikers at the time. He was definitely better than them, and I was certainly surprised that he decided to leave.

One striker we had in the 70's who had an excellent scoring record for us, was John Duncan.
It'll be 35 years tomorrow that I saw us play at Chesterfield in a pre-season friendly.
He said one of his biggest regrets was leaving us to go to Derby in '78. We had Jonah, Gerry Armstrong and Colin Lee as strikers at the time. He was definitely better than them, and I was certainly surprised that he decided to leave.
I mentioned him further up the thread.He was my hero,after big Pat left.He was mustard,but as you say injury prone.
I thought him and Jonah were a great partnership. You look at the amount of goals Dunc got from a nod down or a flick from Chris Jones. Top memories

Before my time, but Alan Gilzean deserves a mention.
I have heard many say that we should have kept JG and just bought Martin Peters off West ham.It would have been mustard with him just behind Greaves and Gilzean.

Greaves didn't do himself any favours with the drinking and the bad eating habits. It affected his physical fitness in the latter part of his career and he ended up retiring at the age of 31. If he had been a bit more disciplined off the pitch, we might have got a few more years out of him.

Bill Nick clearly felt it was time to move him on and I think three trophies in three seasons vindicates that choice.

Clearly it's Jimmy Greaves however, he was before my time so I'm going for Steve Archibald.

I have soft spots for Defoe, Falco and Claesen.

Before my time, but Alan Gilzean deserves a mention.
I have heard many say that we should have kept JG and just bought Martin Peters off West ham.It would have been mustard with him just behind Greaves and Gilzean.
Gilzean was best header of the ball I have seen. Scored a lot of goals with his head.

Think he was with us at a bad time to be at Spurs - around the time we got relegated.

A few years earlier or a few years later he'd have been a star with other stars around him. - when Duncan was at Spurs he didn't have other players around him performing at their peak.

Clive Allen if you want stats. Even Kane won't break that record!
I wouldn't be so sure. If Kane has a season where he's fully fit for every game, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats Allen's record. It wouldn't surprise me that much if he beat Dixie Dean's record, to be honest, He's that good.

I wouldn't be so sure. If Kane has a season where he's fully fit for every game, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats Allen's record. It wouldn't surprise me that much if he beat Dixie Dean's record, to be honest, He's that good.

Clive Allen was a one season wonder. He never got anything like 49 goals in a season again. In the following season, he got a much more modest 13 and was offloaded to Bordeaux in the summer of 88. My guess is that Clive found goals a lot harder to come by when Hoddle left for Monaco and Chris Waddle was injured for a good chunk of 87/88.

Harry is a much better player and he's been producing year in year out for the last six years.

‘Duncan was one of our most underrated strikers. Scored goals in a shit Spurs team.

Back
Top Bottom