Tottenham and Middlesex

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We haven't moved anywhere,but the boundries have changed. Before 1965 Tottenham was in Middlesex, however was Middlesex classed as one of the home counties and NOT North London or was Middlesex IN North London? I don't know tbh.

Tottenham Marshes next to Northumberland Park train station.

Woolwich are from Kent originally.

why do people go onto gooner forums anyway - this is a serious question. Personally, I can't abide anything to do with them, and don't give a monkey's about their opinions, views, etc - I can't even stand seeing their kit, it makes me cringe!

The only reason I went on there is because it was the only place where I could find any information regarding this. I stay away from their sites myself, too.

Didn't woolwich attempt to merge with fulham at one point? But since fulham refused, it left them wandering for a home. #CuntsFromKent

Calling them Woolwich is actually incorrect, they played their home games in Plumstead but used the name Woolwich in an attempt to draw more fans.

Rightly or wrongly, (wrongly, I suspect) I`ve never really considered spurs a London club anyway. More a `home counties` club, drawing their support from a much wider area than other London clubs like Chelsea and Plumstead. But then again, I`ve never actually lived in London. Out of interest, who would you `locals` say has the most supporters within london itself ie the M25, other than Man Utd like ?

Rightly or wrongly, (wrongly, I suspect) I`ve never really considered spurs a London club anyway. More a `home counties` club, drawing their support from a much wider area than other London clubs like Chelsea and Plumstead. But then again, I`ve never actually lived in London. Out of interest, who would you `locals` say has the most supporters within london itself ie the M25, other than Man Utd like ?
goons & us no question!..

Also, I think the parrot story is an urban myth.
I think you'll find it's very true!!
In 1909, the Tottenham Hotspur team toured Uruguay and Paraguay. On the voyage back home they were gifted the ship’s parrot by the captain of the vessel. The parrot lived happily at the club for 11 years until it keeled over and died in 1919 on the very day Spurs were relegated from Division 1 and Woolwich promoted in their place.
....an alternative, but very similar account elsewhere online:
On leaving South America after the club's first overseas tour of 1909, the team won a fancy dress competition on the ship home as Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday, with the parrot used taken back to White Hart Lane as a memento of the trip by the cook on the liner, who had obtained it in Santos, Brazil. He lived happily at the club for 10 years until the day that Woolwich suspiciously got voted into the First Division in 1919 at the expense of Tottenham Hotspur, when he died.

I'd imagine that the 'urban myth' aspect of this story is more to do with the incident being directly (or indirectly) responsible for the phrase "Sick as a Parrot"... I've heard it's been in common usage since the 1700's... but maybe the connection with football was made because of this... I dunno?
All I know, is that apart from being fucking South London Gypsies, 'Plumstead ArseAnal' are Parrot Killers!!!!!!!

shows how stupid Woolwich fans are really as in 1965 the London Borough of Tottenham merged with the London Borough's of Hornsey and Wood Green to create the London Borough of Haringey.

Middlesex was in London: I know cause I was born there and watched Spurs from 6 years onwards. Spurs is as much a part of London as anyone else!!

Back
Top Bottom