Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello everyone

We're currently in the process of researching a film we plan to make about Tottenham Boys We Are Here.

We're looking for people to speak to people who own a copy (ideally an original), and anyone who might have appeared in the book.

I realise this is a long shot as there was only a small run on the first version, and it was published 40 years ago.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Flav

I have an orginal. Bought from Selwyn himself. I am in the crowd shot at Southampton away.

Yes and the anoraks at Jack's programme hut on the concourse. I remember buying a 1937 'sheet' programme from him in my anorak for 50p. Would have been the 75-76 season under the vile Terry Neill. We used to get the home programmes delivered to our house and i can still feel the thrill of opening that envelope stamped N17 when it arrived containing its pristine programme. Oh the memories.

I know the football is 'better', the grounds are 'better' & the pitches are 'better' in modern football but fuck me i miss pre-Premier League days. Football is now big business & a huge corporate machine. Sometimes it feels like watching Tesco vs Morrisons. But THFC is a life-long love affair and i can't give it up.

Seeing as we are on North/South London derby day and my nerves are shredded awaiting ko let me share some memories of the vermin. My first encounter with the shitbags was last game of the season 69/70 at WHL when my all time favourite player Gilly scored and we won 1-0. Gilly hated Bob Wilson because he chose Scotland over England as an international for the sole reason that wilson was too shit to oust Gordon Banks and Gilly as a proud Scot took exception and battered the woolwich slag all game. The next game was the 70/71 at the lane when they stole/bored their way to the title. There have been so many lies written about that game and how many nomads were in the ground. All i can tell you from my memory of it was that the park lane was half and half and i remember a stream of skinheads being led out by the plod. We had played Liverpool in the FA cup 6th round replay earlier that season and the crowd was 56,283 and i thought the plumstead game would have exceeded that but was given as just under 52,000. I do vividly recall looking back from the West Stand outside on my uncles shoulders at the sight looking towards the old White Hart and the church. It was a sea of faces as far as the eye could see.Their ridiculous claim that there were 40,000 of them there is plainly stupid. When i got older we started to go over their place and take liberties. They were terrified to come to WHL too and one night they were humiliated, it was Pat Jennings testimomal at WHL and they turned up in a van! They were sent packing for insulting us for bringing that few. Mid 70's to early 80's we totally dominated them taking the North Bank regularly. Huge mobs of donkey jacketed Tottenham fans at Manor House early doors would then march over to the cess pit. We came from the South and would get on the tube and ask for a 'return to Gillespie Road' as none of us would recognise that stations current name. The streets around Highbury would be tense as they awaited the invasion. We used to go in at the first North Bank entrance as you look from the station and would recognise blokes from over Spurs. Once in we would gather at the right hand as you look out then at 2:50 or so the chant would go up and the Tottenham fans surged across the terrace scattering the woolwich. Was a great experience and was all part of following Spurs in those days if you were 'of age'. Terry Naylor was interviewed once and he was asked what his favourite memory of football was and he replied 'running out at Highbury and seeing our fans had taken the North Bank again'. Legend.

My only time in the North Bank was for the semi=final replay against Wolves in 81 and it remains one of my best nights ever!
That was a fantastic night. I was right up at the front of the North Bank, to the left of the goal....Garth Crooks came straight at us when he scored. There was a moat between the stand and the pitch, which the Old Bill used. Remember telling one of them to take off his helmet as I couldn't see. He chatted me up and we went out for a few months. Didn’t last because he hated being second to THFC. Happy days :)

46936970_2288052274546567_7333042718114840576_n.jpg

I am at the very back between the A & the M of 'Southampton'. Sorry for the rotation issue!

They decided to call the Holloway Road the death walk as if it was a no go zone and a walk to be feared.. I’ve been more scared doing my Christmas shopping on a Monday morning.
It resembled a boy band audition on the X factor.
Most embarrassing fan base in the country and that is a fact..

Heres some Turkish football fans, shitting it as they sheepishly do the Death-Walk to the Shit-Hole

maxresdefault.jpg

:harrysmile:

Here you see them "tapping a bus". DEADLY

12275324285_0da9a6bdfb_b.jpg

Here come Palace. Clearly bricking it en route down the Holloway Road

indiebeer-London.jpg

Tasty beers are served in here!

Millwall%2B%25285%2529.JPG

Look how intimading the surrounding areas.........oh....sorry thats the old Den

5184.jpg

Here are a few of the 4 MILLION cologne fans that took over the Stadium, but pussied out of the walk there. All took cabs

ByjsOeWIAAAUbcw.jpg

Heres a mob of Spurs at the swamp. See how shaken they are from the walk there?
The gooners all looking the other way says to me they well want some
:wansum:

Sean, back then you didn't have to be a hooligan or go looking for 'bovver'.... it came looking for you. sometimes at WHL and almost always when travelling away, you'd have to run the gauntlet getting to and from the ground and then quite likely have to fend off local hoolies either infiltrating the away end or lobbing all kinds of shit at you. I could tell you loads of stories from away trips back in the day and I wasn't part of any 'mob'.

Spot on. Travelling into the frozen wastelands of the north was like being in a Mad Max movie. It was kill or be killed (not literally of course).

Even non-firm fans used to have to do their bit when the need arose.

One of the best aways that season was of course Millwall away on Boxing Day (where, in my mind, the song about fighting on Boxing Day originated?) Where leaflets were passed around the Park Lane at the previous home game with the message 'dont bottle it' with details of where to meet and at what time etc .

The mob we had walking from London Bridge to the old Den had to be seen to be believed.

Probably my favourite ever memory of supporting Spurs was when we got relegated and the fans invaded the pitch and demanded the team came out into the directors box and took a standing ovation. Pat Jennings said the players were too embarrassed at first but when they came out it was more like they had won the title than had been relegated. Proper fans proper supporters in those days.

Long time lurker but reading this thread prompted me to join up. The season in the 2nd Division was brilliant. so many stories - Blackpool, milk floats being hi-jacked on the prom, Bolton, all kicking off after McNabs disallowed goal, Brighton, well everything and Mansfield, arriving at a station in the middle of nowhere and being bussed on cranky old double deckers through the countryside to the ground in the pissing rain. Just to think of a few.
Not that season but I remember going to Villa and the game was called off so the train came back to London. At least 50 decided it was a good idea to go to the Gooners v Newcastle game in the North Bank.....Happy days

Perfectly summed up NN. I still see the odd face from the past when at Wembley and a knowing nod is exchanged and i too hate the modern game and all that goes with it but, like you Tottenham Hotspur is something i can't give up. 50 years now for me. Love the club.

I've been a fan since February 1968 & been going since August 1972. While i am still breathing i will make the effort.

First game in 1969 and stood at the front of the East Stand. Stood/sat all over the place, but once I "discovered" The Shelf, I didn't want to watch a game from anywhere else. Used to get to the ground about an hour before the gates opened, so I could get right to the front. I got my season ticket in 1982, think it cost £55! Cried when they knocked down the East Stand and we had to sit. Mind you, I struggle to stand for 90 mins now, so I suppose I would have had to get a seat at some stage. Had to give up going for a few years due to budget, but for the last five years at The Lane, I bought someone else's season ticket in the Paxton. But he wanted it back for the new stadium, and I managed to get a season ticket for Wembley, despite being 40,000th on the list! Season ticket in new stadium in West Stand, Gate 23, although I desperately wanted to get one in the South, but nothing available once we were able to buy. Not complaining, just happy that I've got a season ticket in my own name again.

Last edited:
Long time lurker but reading this thread prompted me to join up. The season in the 2nd Division was brilliant. so many stories - Blackpool, milk floats being hi-jacked on the prom, Bolton, all kicking off after McNabs disallowed goal, Brighton, well everything and Mansfield, arriving at a station in the middle of nowhere and being bussed on cranky old double deckers through the countryside to the ground in the pissing rain. Just to think of a few.
Not that season but I remember going to Villa and the game was called off so the train came back to London. At least 50 decided it was a good idea to go to the Gooners v Newcastle game in the North Bank.....Happy days
Yes we were going to Luton away in div 2 and the usual hoards of Tottenham were at Kings Cross when we heard our game was off so we decided to go to woolwich v Walsall as they were playing the vermin in the FA Cup. We had a beer with some Walsall and persuaded them to come in the North Bank with us. We started singing come on Walsall but the nomads didn't even react so we chanted come on you Spurs and again nothing. They were truly pathetic. The midlanders were highly amused at our antics and were suitably appalled with woolwich. Great times and a total piss take.

Talking about King's Cross, only time in my life I've been propositioned!
I wouldn't mind, but it was 10 in the morning and I had a Spurs shirt, jeans and trainers on, not exactly dressed for action!

Generally, the history of a club is viewed through the trophies won and the players that have represented it over the years. This thread is refreshing in recognising the significance that supporters play in that narrative, and how their unswerving loyalty and willingness to follow the team wherever it takes them is as important (or according to Billy Nick, the most important) element of a football club.

Always used to make me laugh when the old 'they are not football fans, they are hooligans' line used to get wheeled out.
Loads of those old hoolies are still regulars at Spurs games 40-45 years later.

I remember one year - I believe it may have been 2015 - my phone's battery was so drained from live vlogging the game that I had to put it into power saving mode on the way home. What days. What heady days.

This thread is a brilliant read. I'm sure I'm not the only #millenial to be more than a little jealous

Yes we were going to Luton away in div 2 and the usual hoards of Tottenham were at Kings Cross when we heard our game was off so we decided to go to woolwich v Walsall as they were playing the vermin in the FA Cup. We had a beer with some Walsall and persuaded them to come in the North Bank with us. We started singing come on Walsall but the nomads didn't even react so we chanted come on you Spurs and again nothing. They were truly pathetic. The midlanders were highly amused at our antics and were suitably appalled with woolwich. Great times and a total piss take.

Remember that day well I was one of about 200 yids in the clock end, was kicking off all over the place and word was going round that Jenkins who was supposedly head of their clock end mob did a runner after taking a good battering. police formed a cauldron around the Spurs fans until half time when some big black bloke with a Spurs scarf pops his head up from the gantry and says "oi we are a bit outnumbered down here can we have some help" which resulted in a massive surge through the police line and 14 year old me got bowled over - I ended up going to hospital with a suspected broken ankle (turned out to be only ligament damage). The very sympathetic st Johns ambulance driver was very apologetic when I said it was my first visit to highbury and he said dont worry son its not normally this bad but some horrible Spurs fans turned up because their game was off. I admit to having a warm glow inside and totally forgot about the pain in my leg.

Rufio Rufio I was there. I did hear chatter on the day of some incidents but didn't see much myself.

My own experience was that it was a bit of a party atmosphere in the away end and we thought a few of the OB were being unnecessarily aggressive. It nearly came in top for a couple of them but they sensibly left us alone to diffuse the situation.

Anyway, the 5-6 lads that had been getting most if the stick from the OB decided about 10 mins from full time they were going to wander around to the home end. We weren't particularly up for it but a couple of mins later the 5 of us thought we might as well go and have a recce.

We got to the open gate just as the home fans started to pour out. Obviously they realised we were Spurs and surrounded us with our backs against the wall.

I really thought we were done for but I thought I would front it out and said to the fella at the front ''' you are going to do us you better get on with it, the rest of us will be here in a minute".

Almost at that very second we hard a massive shout of TOT-TEN-HAM and the Sheffield fans quickly dispersed.

A very lucky escape.
I love these stories. A far cry from grown men holding up signs asking for Allis shirt

Back
Top Bottom