Tottenham Hotspur and Jewish identity

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting read but... there are plenty of Jewish fans of other clubs. Plenty of non-Jewish fans of Tottenham (i.e. the vast majority).

The club, however, no longer has a greater Jewish contingent among its fans than other major London clubs such as Woolwich which also have significant Jewish support. Although just under 10% of season ticket holders who responded in a survey in 2014 identified themselves as Jewish,[26][27] it is estimated that Jewish supporters form at most 5% of its regular fanbase.[23]

Wiki is not the most accurate but there was a survey done maybe 15 years ago which I recall had similar results < 10% of Spurs fans are Jewish, the vast majority are not.

Ajax have a similar Jewish connection, but again the vast majority of their fans are not Jewish.

Of the circa 260k Jewish people in UK circa 60% live in London or circa 160k in a city of circa 10m people.

Not all the 160k will follow football, in fact probably a minority, and of that number some will 'follow the glory hunter herd' and follow ManU/Liverpool/Chelsea etc or whoever was the popular club at the time they were growing up, whilst others might be misled to follow Woolwich or West ham .

So no real surprise that a Spurs fan base (much larger than the 62k stadium) is predominantly non Jewish.

Last edited:
Interesting read but... there are plenty of Jewish fans of other clubs. Plenty of non-Jewish fans of Tottenham (i.e. the vast majority).
As I've understood it the authors are exploring why Tottenham has sometimes been known as a Jewish club (and the adoption of various epithets). I don't think they are suggesting we are more or less Jewish than any other club - in fact in the final para. they say the crowd identity is complex.

Found out earlier this year that my birth father was jewish (long story!) I'm not a roman mum, I'm a kike, a yid, a heebie, a hook-nose, I'm kosher mum, I'm a Red Sea pedestrian, and proud of it!

b986b982-b26c-4746-9501-f2dfc8613428_screenshot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom