Tottenham Hotspur B - Checkatrade Trophy 2017-2018 - The Road to Wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...B-teams-to-enter-Johnstones-Paint-Trophy.html

In light of the talk about a "League 3" filled with Premier League B sides, the Football League has proposed a trial where for the next two seasons 16 B teams from the Premier League will enter the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, expanded to incorporate a group stage to fit such teams in with the 48 members of League 1 and 2. This would almost certainly include us, as a Category 1 academy and apparently a key supporter of the B-Team plan.

So, where will the young Spurs be travelling if this goes ahead? All home matches would be played at White Hart Lane with at least 1 guaranteed in the group stage, so will we be seeing 1882 cheer on Kane and whoever pisses off Poch against the might of Chesterfield? Or a Tuesday night away day to sunny Carlisle? And perhaps, at the end of it all, Wembley - where we can end our 7-year trophy drought if we can overcome the might of Tranmere Rovers. Being banished to the reserves never looked so appealing.

Everything about the 'B' plan is wrong and ill fated. We shouldn't be pandering to the idea.
If it's gonna happen, it may as well be in the tournament where most of the clubs involved would send us personal thank-you cards if we knocked them out a round earlier than they'd have otherwise had to endure.

If it's gonna happen, it may as well be in the tournament where most of the clubs involved would send us personal thank-you cards if we knocked them out a round earlier than they'd have otherwise had to endure.
but at the end of it is a day out at Wembley for those fans. I'll be amazed if you find too many that would rather get knocked out earlier than go the whole way and get the day at Wembley.

Also, if this goes ahead it'll just be the start.

Everything about the 'B' plan is wrong and ill fated. We shouldn't be pandering to the idea.

What good has the loan system ever done for us? Made Rose and Townsend look better than they were compared to the unfashionable players around them..only for them to get played ahead of the likes of Lamela, BAE and others to rot as they derbed around and ruined out season. Even when GDS did well on loan scoring and assisting for fun Harry didn't play him (and he turned into a superstar). BAE and Carroll are having terrible reviews with QPR. KPB did a GDS where he went on loan to Germany, we sold him for peanuts and he went onto be a superstar.

I want what best for the players. The loan system has been a disaster IMO. Players have had horrific injuries, they are so stretched far and wide it's hard to keep up with them and it becomes a chore looking them up.

I can't understand the backlash against it for footballing reasons. It far outweighs the big bad machine aspect of it when it comes to our current situation.

We lost Berbatov and the mancs gave us a joke of a fricken striker on loan...it's taken the piss if anything.

What good has the loan system ever done for us? Made Rose and Townsend look better than they were compared to the unfashionable players around them..only for them to get played ahead of the likes of Lamela, BAE and others to rot as they derbed around and ruined out season. Even when GDS did well on loan scoring and assisting for fun Harry didn't play him (and he turned into a superstar). BAE and Carroll are having terrible reviews with QPR. KPB did a GDS where he went on loan to Germany, we sold him for peanuts and he went onto be a superstar.

I want what best for the players. The loan system has been a disaster IMO. Players have had horrific injuries, they are so stretched far and wide it's hard to keep up with them and it becomes a chore looking them up.

I can't understand the backlash against it for footballing reasons. It far outweighs the big bad machine aspect of it when it comes to our current situation.

We lost Berbatov and the mancs gave us a joke of a fricken striker on loan...it's taken the piss if anything.
Lol. Didn't even mention the loan system. You're an odd egg Gibbs. Using random fleeting comments to go off on one. I like you.

Lol. Didn't even mention the loan system. You're an odd egg Gibbs. Using random fleeting comments to go off on one. I like you.

tumblr_inline_mo6wkmwFnQ1qz4rgp.gif

I think football reasons (our fringe players play to our system with the managers tactics etc to make them easier to ease into the first team) is a positive.

Then Lev will fuck it up by sacking the manager month 2.

mental how selfish this makes you sound. Completely disregarding the lower league clubs and their players and looking out for number 1. sigh.

mental how selfish this makes you sound. Completely disregarding the lower league clubs and their players and looking out for number 1. sigh.

Thinking teams will cease to be is PATRONIZING to the fans in the lower levels. What would you do if Spurs were in the lower league and threatened by this aspect? Stop going to games? Stop supporting them?

Important to note it is the Football League - the collection of clubs everyone is feeling sorry for - are the ones pushing this particular idea in the first place. After watching the West Ham matches they've realised even the shittiest of clubs can beat us at the Lane.

Thinking teams will cease to be is PATRONIZING to the fans in the lower levels. What would you do if Spurs were in the lower league and threatened by this aspect? Stop going to games? Stop supporting them?
lol it's the fans of lower league clubs that explained what it would really meant to them. I'm patronizing no-one here. Genuinely don't have a clue what you mean by that next question... obviously I wouldn't stop supporting them.
The young Spurs players would love it.
couldn't give a fuck tbh. Goes against a lot of what I believe in myself so the last thing on my mind is thinking about how much they'd enjoy it.

lol it's the fans of lower league clubs that explained what it would really meant to them. I'm patronizing no-one here. Genuinely don't have a clue what you mean by that next question... obviously I wouldn't stop supporting them.

couldn't give a fuck tbh. Goes against a lot of what I believe in myself so the last thing on my mind is thinking about how much they'd enjoy it.

Orient and Swindon as just as close to a B team for us anyway, so make little difference expect the history stays intact :)

The club I work for are an ex Conference club. in 1988 we had to stop playing as our ground was sold. We started again in 2000 at THE bottom of the pyramid. Since 2000 we have won 4 titles and 6 promotions to get to the Conference North. 2 steps below League 2.
Stick in a League 3 and you are effectively pushing us down another level after we worked fucking hard to get to where we are now. why, because for some reason people think that u21s playing at level 4 will benefit England.
Bollocks.
if they are good enough between 17 and 21 they will be pushing the first team. Rooney, Shaw to name but 2. With the way the academies are set up now premier clubs have the pick of the best youth in the country anyway, so why not sign these players, give them the academy coaching, but leave them at the club they signed them from to also develop within the first team arena. Don't sign them, train them and then basically play them against other u21s and conference players. That won't help.
The only way to assist is the restriction on foreign players, and an u21 rule for the 1st team as they do in Scotland. They won't though because of that one thing. Money.
The FA need to look at bringing more coaches through, reducing the costs of getting badges and get rid of the red tape.
As I mentioned before. German clubs want to do away with the B league and bring back the u21 league, so what do they know that we don't?

Oh and one other thing, the Premier League have basically blackmailed the League and Conference by telling them they will reduce funding if they don't accept this proposal. Fair?

The club I work for are an ex Conference club. in 1988 we had to stop playing as our ground was sold. We started again in 2000 at THE bottom of the pyramid. Since 2000 we have won 4 titles and 6 promotions to get to the Conference North. 2 steps below League 2.
Stick in a League 3 and you are effectively pushing us down another level after we worked fucking hard to get to where we are now. why, because for some reason people think that u21s playing at level 4 will benefit England.
Bollocks.
if they are good enough between 17 and 21 they will be pushing the first team. Rooney, Shaw to name but 2. With the way the academies are set up now premier clubs have the pick of the best youth in the country anyway, so why not sign these players, give them the academy coaching, but leave them at the club they signed them from to also develop within the first team arena. Don't sign them, train them and then basically play them against other u21s and conference players. That won't help.
The only way to assist is the restriction on foreign players, and an u21 rule for the 1st team as they do in Scotland. They won't though because of that one thing. Money.
The FA need to look at bringing more coaches through, reducing the costs of getting badges and get rid of the red tape.
As I mentioned before. German clubs want to do away with the B league and bring back the u21 league, so what do they know that we don't?

Oh and one other thing, the Premier League have basically blackmailed the League and Conference by telling them they will reduce funding if they don't accept this proposal. Fair?

Why should the club you work for be scared of a new challenge? Why would your clubs players not want to play against high profile players on thousands?

You said your ground was sold and you made it back. I said that earlier, it's patronizing to smaller clubs thinking they will just go away. It's not like people stopped supporting yours and it didn't have a ground.

Playing Chelsea B team and stuffing them will be great for everyone, prestige, players on 14 k a week getting stuffed etc etc.

The last part you mentioned I don't know about. Is it less money than they are currently getting, or is it they wont get the Prem B team money? For it to work, the lower league teams HAVE to get more money out of it surely?

Back
Top Bottom