Tottenham Hotspur in the 70s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No one could replace bill nic, United had the same with Busby ( not the bt puppet).

The fighting at the 74 final was too much for Bill, I am too young to recall but my old man saw comparisons with how pochs era ended, like bill, both ran out of steam.

The club messed up by not letting bill move upstairs, it was burkinshaw that got bill back to the club as he was scouting for spam! Maybe bill was denied a move to the board as he didn't have a lot of time for them?

Anyway bill could still spot a player, galvin, Roberts and mabbutt were bills recommendations

I think Bill nick after the loss of the 74 uefa final started to become a bit despondent about football hooliganism.
Also he was trying to rebuild again but some signings didn't work out along with some lack of quality I seem to recall.
Unfortunately when he left spurs the board made the ridiculous decision to appoint an ex Woolwich man in Terry Neill which went down like a lead balloon this eventually lead to the club being relegated couple of seasons later.

Yes, agree with above, the rot started with the way we got rid of Bill Nick, classless. Another period of rebuilding, we just can't seem to get it right, whatever the era! The General did a great job, but it wasn't an overnight success, it took time.

Players
Yes, agree with above, the rot started with the way we got rid of Bill Nick, classless. Another period of rebuilding, we just can't seem to get it right, whatever the era! The General did a great job, but it wasn't an overnight success, it took time.
A lot of people seem to forget that the KB wasn't universally popular to start with, some were calling for his head at the time.
Hard to believe now, but i remember it being that way.
Thankfully he was given time,
I still think if he had stayed another 3 seasons we would have won the league.

Last edited:
71/72 was my real first season of going regular
(first game was the same as Mrs P Sheff Weds back in 69 ? )
we had a good team then and only thought in my mind going to every home game was how many will we win by, and we did win most of them, it was the away games we lost
remember the season we went down we used to go most of the home & many away games and i said after most games that's it I'm not coming next week, following week I would be there
season on loan to Div 2 has happy memoires until the easter then it was a bit nail biting
went to the open day at the training ground when they introduced ozzie & ricky, still got programme which most of the players signed in the loft
we were starting on the build up to the 81/83 team another good few seasons for us

Let's be honest most clubs after a successful manager leaves struggle to continue where they left off, for recent examples look at Man Utd post SAF, Woolwich post Wenger, hell even Liverpool post Benitez.

Terry Neil brought Keith Burkinshaw to the club and my understanding is that he had a good rapport with coaches and playing staff but he was undermined by the board which is why he resigned. One story I think is key is that after he managed to keep us up, the fans were chanting his name and urging him to come out and acknowledge their cheers but Neil went straight home because he didn't feel any connection with us after the abuse he took during the season.

This is all from Phil Soar's official history. The way I see it is that Neil led us to Burkinshaw just like Santini led us to Jol. It wasn't the right appointment straight away but it worked out in a way we didn't expect.

If KB had've stayed on a few years beyond 1984 and the "there used to be a football club over there" speech... He may well have won us the League with "David Pleat's XI"

Sadly, not entirely true.
Skip had been getting some unfair stick from the ST holders in the old West Stand.
The double V-sign was aimed at them.
He confirmed this years later. (in his '82 autobiography I think)
Then if they were giving him stick, then they deserved it! Good job I wasn't ever in the West Stand back then, otherwise they would have got a piece of my mind!!!
I have his '82 autobiography, I obviously missed that bit :)

Then if they were giving him stick, then they deserved it! Good job I wasn't ever in the West Stand back then, otherwise they would have got a piece of my mind!!!
I have his '82 autobiography, I obviously missed that bit :)

If you follow the angle, you can see it's for the West Stand.

Back
Top Bottom