Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seen a picture of the latest training session

2378142_1024x1024.jpeg

Alright Spurs chaps?!

Don't really get the nerves - I mean, you're only 3 games away from winning the biggest competition in world club football. Which, if you were to win it, would catapult your club into global fame, make you the envy of every PL club and give you bragging rights over Woolwich for - well, ever. Imagine the fun you could have with that?

Seriously though - really rooting for you lot tonight. Although I think Ajax are a fabulous outfit, you can definitely do this. You've been brilliant in this competition so far and you can be sure that whatever doubts you might have, Poch will have had them too and will have planned and prepared the team appropriately.

I'm old - I remember Ricky Villa thrilling the whole country, embarrassing Chas n Dave songs and you lot still lifting the trophy even after Gazza went mental, and at that point it seemed like Spurs were the best cup team in the world. Point being that I'm sure everyone was nervous as hell before those games, and during them, but you still won.

It's cup football - we knocked out Sevilla for Christ's sake! Of course you can do it! Sing your hearts out and good luck lads!

Having a stinker.

Already followed through, dropped my flannel in the khazi and sat on my bins.

All before 5.00am.

Can only mean one thing, we are going to fucking SMASH them tonight!

Or I'm an incontinent senile old cunt.

To make you all feel better going into tomorrow night, a quick reminder that Ajax beat a Juventus team that lost Champions League ties against Young Boys, Man U & Atletico Madrid this year & a Real Madrid team that lost home & away to CSKA Moscow as well as 10 games in La Liga which mathmatically leaves them 5 points worse off than where we are at the moment, albeit with a game in hand.

We hear about the huge scalps Ajax have taken but very little is mentioned about Juventus also losing to Young Boys + Man U at home etc & Real Madrid getting done not just once but TWICE against CSKA Moscow.

Believe in the boys, our boys who have achieved positive results against Barcelona & Man City this campaign, the two favourites for the tournament before the season started.

Don't expect the boys to give their all to us if you can't do the same for them for a solid two hours tomorrow. No voices left, this is the moment we really do become a 12th man! COYS!!!

:tobyarm:

My Eyes have seen the Glory of the cups at White Hart Lane,
And the Spurs go marching on.
Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur,
Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur and the Spurs go marching on......

We'll go storming into Europe,
With the Ghost and Jimmy Greaves
We'll go storming into Europe
Bring the Spanish to their Knees
Oh, you can keep your West Ham
We don't want their OBEs
Cos the Spurs go marching on.

The Merseyside will tremble at the tackle of Dave McKay
All Manchester will wonder, when *Son* starts to fly
Cos we're the mighty Hotspur
And there's nobody can deny
That.....the Spurs ....... go ........ marching on.

Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur and the Spurs go marching on......

At last!! A piece that reflects the game that I watched last night:

Was this ultimately a first leg which left both sides disappointed? Tottenham will shoulder most of that regret, of course, but the mood of Donny van de Beek’s interview after the game betrayed that, for Ajax, this was an opportunity not quite taken.

At the half-hour mark at White Hart Lane, the visitors had enjoyed 67% possession, had fashioned six shots to Spurs’ one, and had fortressed themselves inside the home half for long periods, knifing their way through their hosts’ midfield at will. They had a one-goal lead, beautifully constructed and well-taken too, but it was inadequate reward for their early superiority. Post-game, Mauricio Pochettino bemoaned his side’s lethargic start and, while his players have been physically wilting for some time, that was only a partial diagnosis.

Early on, Ajax were just better. Brighter, smarter, full of creativity, intent and, sadly, a life that Tottenham just didn’t possess. At that stage of the game, they should have been on their way to building an insurmountable lead. But they weren’t. The second goal never arrived and while Spurs never came close to equalising, the flow of the rest of the match betrayed flaws within a team which has spent the last few months being praised to the heavens.

Matt Stead referenced this in his post-match piece, mentioning Moussa Sissoko’s dramatic effect on the game and also the fractures created by Pochettino’s pivot to a more physical and direct style.

It was a telling and instructive tweak. Ajax have earned their plaudits this season, but they are not invulnerable. Tottenham did not carry enough energy into the game, clearly, but perhaps the bigger mistake was to begin the tie with such an obvious inferiority complex. They tiptoed into the game. They played in a passive, deferential way which was always likely to suit their opposition’s strengths and they very nearly paid a heavy price.

What will have alarmed Erik ten Hag is how awkwardly his side adapted to Tottenham’s change in approach. From a stylistic perspective, the second 45 minutes was ugly and blunt, with Spurs no longer attempting to finesse their way through the midfield, opting instead to skip the press, aim long for their forwards, and attempt to create opportunities from the fragments. It was hardly compelling, but gradually the pressure did begin to build; Ajax are a socks-up, clean-shirt kind of side in midfield and attack, and that began to show.

After the break, Tottenham had 60% of possession, ten shots, and actually passed the ball with greater accuracy than their opponents. They weren’t very good at all, but they were still somehow in the ascendency.

And in so doing, Pochettino’s players exposed their dirty little secret: as attractive as they can be and as cultured as they are, Spurs are a very effective long-ball side. Admittedly less so without Harry Kane, but – still – when they’ve found difficulty this season, it’s that tactic that has often provided sanctuary. It’s delivered goals, too. Against Burnley at Wembley, twice against PSV in the Champions League group stage, and once more, late on, against Inter Milan.

It’s hardly pure, Route One football, registering just one or two on the Fashanu-Jones Scale. Instead of repeatedly aiming long for a target man, the approach seems to be characterised by a more eclectic force, mixing traditional long passes with direct, vertical running with the ball and a generalised haste. One of the reasons why Sissoko has been so important to this side, for instance, is not just because he’s able to cover so much space, but because when receiving possession his next move is nearly always to head north at top speed.

There were signs of that working on Tuesday night. Dele Alli had a snap shot right at the beginning of the half and, after Llorente had spidered around a few challenges, a second half-chance fell to him shortly after. Both Danny Rose and Lucas Moura might also have done better with balls that fell to them in space. Those moves all featured a degree of finesse somewhere, either at their genesis or end, but they all depended on short, sharp pulses of play and a state of relative chaos.

And that troubled Ajax. If in the first half they had looked every inch the team who brushed aside Madrid and Juventus, in the second it became easier to understand how they have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight Eredivisie games. Their individual parts were absolutely as advertised and their attacking play, collectively, was exactly as billed, but when the conditions of the game changed and the match became about something other than who could construct the sharpest triangles, their control loosened. That didn’t make them undeserving, they were clearly the better side and they conceded just a single shot on target, but the nature of that second half and what its rhythm seemed to show makes their one-goal lead appear very slender indeed.

The goals conceded by Ajax in 2019 also show encouraging trends for Tottenham. They have difficulty defending crosses and tracking runners who move late into the box – Juventus and Cristiano Ronaldo showed that – but even domestically they’ve demonstrated a sporadic inability to protect the area in front of their defence, and also exhibited issues at the back post and inability to prevent crossing opportunities. Many of those league games have been one-sided, Ajax have scored four goals or more in four of their last five, but the way they concede and the weaknesses which exist either side of the outstanding Matthijs de Ligt should make the return leg very tricky indeed.

Of course, Pochettino will have Son Heung-Min available in a week’s time. Son’s goal threat is of critical importance given the deficit that Spurs will be chasing, but he also aligns conveniently with those Ajax issues. From a structural perspective, his mobility offers a waspish pressing option that Tottenham didn’t have in London and his speed will restore the counter-attacking threat that proved so invaluable against Manchester City. More importantly, though, he offers a direct challenge to any isolated full-back, forcing a defence to compensate and leave space somewhere else within the attacking zone. Son is two-footed, he can beat his man on either side, and one defender alone can’t mark him.

Logically, he should replace Alli. Pochettino is incredibly loyal to his young midfielder, but he will surely have recognised that Alli is not comfortable playing with a cast on his wrist and should also have noticed that, in the game at the Etihad and again on Tuesday night, many moves died at his feet. His touch has vanished, the instinct in his passing has been mislaid; if Spurs are to make Ajax uncomfortable, then everything they do in the second leg has to be done much, much quicker. Son will grease their gears, no doubt about it, but a Champions League semi-final isn’t the right time to allow anyone else to play their way into form.

To claim Spurs as a favourites is clearly too optimistic. It would be disrespectful, too, because Ajax earned their lead and haven’t progressed to this stage of the competition via a series of anomalies. They’re excellent, but they’re also now being over-estimated. The pundits, the press and perhaps even Tottenham themselves have been a little blinded by the translucent light around these players and are guilty of ignoring their minor, but significant imperfections.

There is no mountain to climb now, only a game to win.

Seb Stafford-Bloor is on Twitter.

Coming on here saying you have never been to WHL before yet got a ticket for the semi final isn't the greatest of moves.

Im sorry if I offended you or somebody else it certainly wasnt what I meant. It isnt because I wouldnt have wanted that i havnt been to a game at the Lane before, but being first a student and then a father of three small children, there have been other things I have had to use my hard earned money on. The cost of one game for me with flights, hotel and tickets is substantial. Then there is the fact that I will have to make the trip alone as none of my mates support Spurs.

Wow, we are in a CL SF.

That's glorious.

And we have got a good chance of getting to the final.

This is, quite frankly, all very mind blowing.

Enjoy the ride.

Yeah it’s insane how we got here. Played Man City, Milan, Barcelona, PSV, and Dortmund twice. With 0 transfers in 2 windows and Kane missing half the season...we are still 3rd in PL and have reached the CL semis. Unforgettable season for me

We are going to win this and qualify in the second leg. We have met the devil head on and toe punted him in the bollocks. We will be a different side next Wednesday. They have a 1nil advantage and an away goal. But we will over come
So confident and I am normally the biggest pessimist ever
Believe people,believe
YIDS

I honestly don't get any of the misery, gloom and negativity in our fan base right now - not even a tiny bit. We're in fucking dreamland to be at this stage. We're hitting 'the next level' season after season. If you're not enjoying the ride now, then you should stay well away from football.

We're not one of the 'Sky 5'. We don't have their financial clout. But look who's built a revolutionary training infrastructure: Tottenham Hotspur. Look who's built a revolutionary stadium: Tottenham Hotspur. Look who's got one of the hottest in-demand managers in World football: Tottenham Hotspur.

We're taking it to the 'Sky 5' and we're beating a lot of them despite our inferior resources. But those resources are being invested in and grown. We're getting to their level.

Next Wednesday we go into a CL semi-final second leg with a decent chance of competing for the Final. That alone is an almost ridiculous level of progression for this football club since Poch and Levy combined their talents to deliver real progress towards greatness for our Club.

And then there's the non-stop singling out of players for criticism and abuse. Now Dele is a target for some. What utter bullshit. The guy is young with a precocious talent that needs to be nurtured and protected. We sound like Goons when we slag him off. He's played a lower key role this season but put in some immense performances. That night at Dial Square's Islington campus will live long in the memory. But it's the hard graft that he's put in more recently that impresses me most.

If you can't get behind this squad and what they're achieving for Poch, for us and the name of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, then you're a cunt in my book.

Thanks a lot for all the good advice and encouraging messages. The plan at the moment is to do some sightseeing and then get to Tottenham early in the afternoon to soak the atmosphere. Will definetly go to the coach and horses for a pint. Are there any other pubs around the stadium a Spurs fan should visit?

I would like to say that I have full understanding for the frustration fans, who frequently go games, feel when they cant get a ticket to a game like this. For me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I couldnt have forgiven myself for not trying to get a ticket. In my opinion there should absolutely be some kind of system in place that rewards loyal supporters with maybe a small amout of tickets reserved for foreign supporters like me who dont really have the opportunity to be loyal.

I promise you all I will not take a single selfie during the game and to sing and support the team the best I can. Next season when both me and my wife work again and the family economy is a bit better I will make my second trip to the Lane. That time i will bring my son (six years old) with me in an effort to make him a yiddo (at the moment he supports Barca and jut about every other team except for the scum, that I wont allow).

Back
Top Bottom