Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As grow up then. We can all sit there and say that player x shud have been bought but this isn't Fifa.

You criticised the subs. All I'm asking is what subs you wud have made tonight. Considering our squad. Considering our injuries. Who would you have put on our bench and what different subs wud you have made?

I'll help...I would have left Rose on and brought on Skipp for Wanyama. I would prob have given KWP a run instead of Foyth...but I thought Foyth did well.

It's not that hard. If you wanna criticise be an adult and offer a valid adult opinion.

I don't play FIFA so have no idea what you're talking about.

Our lack of choice of subs was down to injuries and a bizarre transfer policy that produced no attacking options at all.

The substitutions of Rose and Trippier were probably as much as leaving something in the tank for Saturday as anything tactical tonight - other than two sets of fresh legs. Foyth was good when he came on but I can't remember Davies doing anything.

Our lack of attacking options tonight was down to the injury crisis and last summer.

You wait 57 years for a European cup semi final and then we start like that...:vdvcry:

We are still in it but we cannot be as wasteful with the ball again. We are going to have too be clinical and put almost every chance away next week. Just hope we have some players fit enough to run around for the second leg.

Well that was a bit of a let down wasn't it? I can take losing but we had no sharpness or intelligence. We played like a lower league cup team tonight. The shame of it all is Ajax really weren't all that. A few nice touches but nothing special yet they walk away with the advantage.

Eriksen had a stinker, Dele is quickly dropping down the list when it comes to his importance to us as well. If it's fatigue or the break up with his missus I ain't sure but pretty soon he'll be warming the bench and fighting t get back into the first XI, not fending someone off for his starting berth.

Our crosses were atrocious. Floating the ball and hitting it into an area not to a player. We had Ajax against the ropes after 10 minutes and just seemed to encourage them to have the ball. Personally I think we tried to play too smart with our preservation of energy and it bit us in the arse.

We were reliant on the luck of Lucas shining tonight and whilst he did OK, we didn't get that rub. Llorente did all he could but the amount of poor passes and lack of conviction hurts the most.

I think everyone, even the ever reliable Alderweireld had a poor game tonight so the positive is we aren't out of it and we have Son back. These injuries has ripped our stomach out but it's also shown some real frailties in our depth.

Keep believing lads and ladies, we aren't out of it yet but that was like pulling teeth tonight. We really need sprucing up in the summer, energy, intelligence and fresh blood and ideas. We limped througunthe game tonight against an Ajax team who you can get at. I have to put it down to energy as putting it down to effort will keep me up all night.

Still in it though. Score two goals over there and we will have a great chance. No giving up yet but ouch, what a painful couple of hours.

I don't think a lot of you are understanding this result. It's sets it perfectly for an epic night and performance, similar to Juve Vs Utd in 1999 after Utd had drawn at home then conceded early in the away game. That's the way you want to do it, in a memorable way, not after having won 4-0 in the home leg.
That was great, but they had Keane and Scholes in central midfield.

Our best players tonight were Sissoko and Rose, two players who I feel left it all out there.

Trippier is simply not good enough at this level bit it was Eriksen who was the one who let us down the most tonight, his performance was just utterly perplexing to me for someone with so much talent.

The problem we have is that, to get to the final we are essentially going to have to score 3 goals at Ajax because there is absolutely no way we will keep a clean sheet, no chance in hell, as a matter of fact I would bet on them getting two.

Which means all the pressure is on Son, unless Kane is back which I assume he won't be, we can't play with Llorente up top away at Ajax imo, we need pace and pressing to beat them, for all the talk of how much better we were in the second half, Ajax didn't look uncomfortable at all and they actually nearly had a second.

I am trying to remain positive but it's a huge ask, even going to their place at 1-1 it would have been tough, they aren't a bunch of chumps, they actually played us like a fiddle with the time wasting and tactical fouls in the second half.

I dunno, not feeling positive about our chances tbh, just hoping for a miracle at this point.

It would be absolutely gutting if you ended up regretting not strengthening the squad last summer, not for its effect on your league position — the sheer ineptitude of Woolwich and United have all but guaranteed a top four place, despite this season’s regression — but for its completely unforeseeable consequence of denying you a first-ever CL final spot by preventing you from being able to compete properly in a very winnable semifinal.

tenor.gif

I don't play FIFA so have no idea what you're talking about.

Our lack of choice of subs was down to injuries and a bizarre transfer policy that produced no attacking options at all.

The substitutions of Rose and Trippier were probably as much as leaving something in the tank for Saturday as anything tactical tonight - other than two sets of fresh legs. Foyth was good when he came on but I can't remember Davies doing anything.

Our lack of attacking options tonight was down to the injury crisis and last summer.

You do kno we cud have bought 10 extra players last summer and firstly they couldn't have all been registered and c) they could have been injured too...leaving us with the exact same team selection.

Sadly Vertonghen's injury was needed to change your formation. This really helped Tottenham and Ajax had a tough time coping with the other formation. As Ajax fan it was really painful to see Jan going off like that. I hope he's better soon! I heard our former players got a lot of cheers from the Ajax fans in the stadium, they will get an even better reception in the Johan Cruyff Arena.
We had already changed before the injury

That was great, but they had Keane and Scholes in central midfield.
And 2 donkeys like Yorke and Cole up front... And still ended up winning the treble. Every team has its weak points, we just have to overcome them with our strong points, having Son, for one, is a good start.

Next week will be different for Ajax I feel.

Theyve had nothing to lose up until now.

Next week they are the favourites. They've never been favourites against Madrid or Juve and they weren't even favourites tonight.

Infront of their home fans. 1-0 lead. Will the pressure get to them? Or will they be abit more resolute? Look to counter and time waste from the off? We know how much we struggle with that.

I think it would be a mistake for them to sit back next week. The kind of error we need to have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom