Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane and Son both definitely out. Sissoko potentially out.

Hopefully Winks, Dier and Lamela are all available for the squad.
They get wiped for the semi final mate.

UEFA Rules

"Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals"

So Son is eligible right? Great news, will absolutely need him.

UEFA Rules

"Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals"

So Son is eligible right? Great news, will absolutely need him.

Yellow cards at quarter final stage count so he will miss the first leg. Any yellows that were picked up after tonight's game wouldn't have so unfortunately Sonny is out

Shit. I didn't realize he picked up one up in the first leg. I thought it was earlier.

Cheers for clearing that up.

I'm not too sure if he's picked one up in the first leg, I get the feeling he got booked vs Dortmund away. Basically if he only had one booking and we went through tonight that yellow gets wiped. As two have been received prior to the semi, he gets a one match ban I believe

I'm not too sure if he's picked one up in the first leg, I get the feeling he got booked vs Dortmund away. Basically if he only had one booking and we went through tonight that yellow gets wiped. As two have been received prior to the semi, he gets a one match ban I believe

He picked a couple of yellows in the group stages. It's 3 yellows equals a ban.

Both English teams have a potential problem before the 2nd match day.

We are due to play in the league Monday night and Liverpool are scheduled for the 430pm Sunday afternoon fixture ahead of the dates for the second leg. So surely they can’t make them play Tuesday and then us Wednesday in the CL.

If both teams have to play in the league 48 hours before a CL semi final 2nd leg that is absolutely ridiculous.

Especially as both teams are away in their league matches. Although Liverpool play CL at home 2nd leg.

Before the first leg they play Friday night and we play Saturday lunchtime so that helps.

But TV schedule has made a pigs ear of this for the return leg.

They really need to reschedule the Bournemouth game to Saturday lunchtime........ which means we could play second leg Tuesday so first leg would be Wednesday.

Imagine 48 hours to travel to Bournemouth and Amsterdam, and rest and prepare. Crazy scenario.
And that’s just the fans I’m talking about!

Both English teams have a potential problem before the 2nd match day.

We are due to play in the league Monday night and Liverpool are scheduled for the 430pm Sunday afternoon fixture ahead of the dates for the second leg. So surely they can’t make them play Tuesday and then us Wednesday in the CL.

If both teams have to play in the league 48 hours before a CL semi final 2nd leg that is absolutely ridiculous.

Especially as both teams are away in their league matches. Although Liverpool play CL at home 2nd leg.

Before the first leg they play Friday night and we play Saturday lunchtime so that helps.

But TV schedule has made a pigs ear of this for the return leg.

They really need to reschedule the Bournemouth game to Saturday lunchtime........ which means we could play second leg Tuesday so first leg would be Wednesday.

Imagine 48 hours to travel to Bournemouth and Amsterdam, and rest and prepare. Crazy scenario.
And that’s just the fans I’m talking about!
Chill out mate. They already said when the Bournemouth game was moved that it was subject to our continued participation in the Champions League, and that it’d be rescheduled again if necessary

Looking at who Ajax is playing leading up into the semis:

Before the first leg, they have a league game against De Graafschap, who is relegation material sadly. The only silver lining is that Ajax are in a tight battle with PSV for the league so they can't be COMPLETELY blase about it. But still, I imagine they'll trot out a much weakened team. Right now this game is scheduled for Sunday, but I imagine it will have to be moved to Saturday to accommodate the Tuesday CL match.

Before the second leg, they have a Sunday final of the KNVB Cup. I have no idea how important this cup is in the Netherlands. I'm sure Ajax have won it 50 times before and will not risk their CL chances for it. But still, at least it's a final, and it's on a Sunday, leaving them with a bit of short rest.

Looking at who Ajax is playing leading up into the semis:

Before the first leg, they have a league game against De Graafschap, who is relegation material sadly. The only silver lining is that Ajax are in a tight battle with PSV for the league so they can't be COMPLETELY blase about it. But still, I imagine they'll trot out a much weakened team. Right now this game is scheduled for Sunday, but I imagine it will have to be moved to Saturday to accommodate the Tuesday CL match.

Before the second leg, they have a Sunday final of the KNVB Cup. I have no idea how important this cup is in the Netherlands. I'm sure Ajax have won it 50 times before and will not risk their CL chances for it. But still, at least it's a final, and it's on a Sunday, leaving them with a bit of short rest.
Nobody is going to rest anyone in a CL semi final so kinda irrelevant - particularly in the position for our two clubs because who knows when we will see this again.

Shame about Son, but Moura will do the business!

Will be damn exciting semi finals with both us and Ajax playing attractive football. I'd say it's very much 50/50.

Hope Barcelona smash the dippers...obvs

Back
Top Bottom