Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. We are an odd team, still getting in to dog fights with relegation fodder sides and coming out smelling like a rose.

2. Defense seemed to be optional Sunday. Both sides were getting gashed on a regular basis.

3. Shooting and passing accuracy remains a problem.

4. Toby’s OG was on Hugh IMO. His hesitation thew off Toby enough to force him to stab at it desperately in order to keep it away from the attacker.

5. Watch the replay of Toby goal if you can. Pay attention to Moura’s reaction to the cross. He totally recoiled in fear. Not good for your “striker”

6. Thank God for Son, pulled our ass out of the fire again. Wish he wasn’t so selfish with the ball at time (too many times). One more pass please.

7. Could of had 2-3 more in the net, unfortunately, same can be said about Villa.

8. Not that there’s much choice now.......... but Son doesn’t need to be taking PKs. Who‘s plan B?

9. Nice to see Davies back. He’s a big addition.

10. Winks, Bergwijn, and Serge were all solid.

Comments:

Not sure about this article - a poor narrative based on many cliche's. Villa had a good first half an hour - then Spurs took over. Villa had a 10 minute spell in the second half where they tried to press Spurs, but created very little. Yes, 18 attempts - but only four on target. Spurs had 10 on target - out of 23.
There's a bitchiness to this article that isn't justified by the subject matter.

A lot of modern football matches are simply wars of attrition. Spurs ground away energetically at Villa, ever increasingly as the game wore on, and the attendant fatigue felt by Villa players led to a fatal mistake.

Villa supporter here. Best game I’ve seen all season. Spurs were shitting themselves at the back first half hour. But, as others have pointed out, took control of the game and probably deserved the win, on the balance of the quality of chances created. Penalty was harsh I thought and whilst the ref did a good job keeping the game flowing, he was inconsistent in dishing out the yellow cards. How did Spurs get no bookings, but Villa end up with 2? Good side though, Spurs.

Horrible article full of inaccuracies and twisting what ever lazy bylines it can to create a click bait piece. Sherwood hasn't recently managed Spurs- that was 6 years ago...Calling Dier low class is cruel and given his 40 England caps unwarranted.... Indeed if the writer watched the game after the first 30 minutes the chances dried up for Villa and Spurs took control of the game.

Says it's exceeded number of allowed "playbacks"?

Care to summerise ?
Video is framed around Jose playing differently with Spurs, reinventing himself as a modern progressive coach, his words in his 1st press conf. As opposed to what he is well known for, deep and midblock, preventing teams play.

1. We pressed them high.
2. We pressed them badly (individually and one's and two's)
3. We left the midfield open as a result which allowed them to play through us
4. Ultimately the press wasn't particularly effective

No conclusions other than a question. Does he double down and continue with this? Or does he play more like Jose of old?

I think the importance of this game was that Davies was back in the side, and Jose sees him as the person that enables him to set up as a pressing team.

Video is framed around Jose playing differently with Spurs, reinventing himself as a modern progressive coach, his words in his 1st press conf. As opposed to what he is well known for, deep and midblock, preventing teams play.

1. We pressed them high.
2. We pressed them badly (individually and one's and two's)
3. We left the midfield open as a result which allowed them to play through us
4. Ultimately the press wasn't particularly effective

No conclusions other than a question. Does he double down and continue with this? Or does he play more like Jose of old?

I think the importance of this game was that Davies was back in the side, and Jose sees him as the person that enables him to set up as a pressing team.

Personally, I'm wary of this "new" Mou. If we are going to have Mou, lets have full metal jacket cunt Mou. Especially based on what we are watching so far, which just isn't sustainable form of football IMO, it's Redknapp lottery stuff, open games, which will generally see us out score weaker opponents and get outscored by better ones, which will keep us hovering around that 4/5/6/7 place, exactly where we should be, not a catastrophe, but not really progressing either.

But the caveat is, we have to give Mourinho this season, then the summer/pre season and a few months next season to see where he/we are at, if we are going to judge him fairly.

Mourinho has always taken a season to establish a tactical approach - and to be fair, any decent manger/coach will take that long - sure, you may see small examples of changes earlier,(and we are for good and bad seeing some clear changes) but any coach worth a wank generally takes some months to get the collective group doing what he wants - if he has a discernible tactical ethos and that ethos is different to what went before .

Personally, I'm wary of this "new" Mou. If we are going to have Mou, lets have full metal jacket cunt Mou. Especially based on what we are watching so far, which just isn't sustainable form of football IMO, it's Redknapp lottery stuff, open games, which will generally see us out score weaker opponents and get outscored by better ones, which will keep us hovering around that 4/5/6/7 place, exactly where we should be, not a catastrophe, but not really progressing either.

But the caveat is, we have to give Mourinho this season, then the summer/pre season and a few months next season to see where he/we are at, if we are going to judge him fairly.

Mourinho has always taken a season to establish a tactical approach - and to be fair, any decent manger/coach will take that long - sure, you may see small examples of changes earlier,(and we are for good and bad seeing some clear changes) but any coach worth a wank generally takes some months to get the collective group doing what he wants - if he has a discernible tactical ethos and that ethos is different to what went before .
The only thing that he seems to have sorted out is the players are motivated and are running and working hard. This is also down to the fact we have a great bunch of lads at the club too no doubt. Either way, I like it.

Our football is a joke. We are long overdue a game where we play well. I do fear we are due a shellacking if we don't get some semblance of an identity, be that new Jose or old Jose, right now this is Sherwood chaos stuff. But I am alarmed at the lack of actual impression/imprint on our style he has made, I think we should be witnessing some green shoots of something by now.

Back
Top Bottom