Tottenham Hotspur v Bournemouth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It costs thousands in dues to get a kid onto a “competitive” youth club team. Parents foot the bills for kit, insurance, travel, and lodging. All the clubs really provide is coaching and organizing the schedules.

The model is completely upside down primarily because we haven’t had a traditional academy system feeding into a professional system. Youth sports were traditionally viewed as a schools/community thing, not a player development tool. Regardless of sport the model has always been community youth sports -> school sports -> university sports -> professional sports.

If you want to look at it entirely cynically, our professional sports teams have their talent developed for them, traditionally, at the taxpayers’ expense.

Into this model have come competitive “travel” teams (that play tournaments all over the country). In exchange for $1000s, “expert” coaches will take your kid on - the selling point being this will provide your kid with a shortcut to success and a college scholarship. In reality, it’s all just a scam so a bunch of half-rate has beens and never weres don’t have to go get real jobs like the rest of us did when our athletic careers crapped out.

I suppose that the sheer distances travelled for a competitive game over there, are a major factor. In my county (Essex) in the U.K. my son can play every team in the league within a 20 mile radius of our house. Apart from the kits expenses, and a meagre fee for the training (which we only pay over the odds for because it's run by ex League 1 players), there's not much else to it at his level.

I'm guessing that the travel could run into hundreds of miles, to guarantee a certain level of game for the youngsters over there (speaking football)?

Back
Top Bottom