Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea Match History 1908-2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A2119_zps279008c6.jpg

Chelsea host Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday 8th May 2013 (KO 19:45) in the 36th round of 2012-13 Premier League matches in a game which was postponed due to Chelsea's FA Cup involvement.

Chelsea come into the game in 3rd place on 65 points with Spurs in 5th place on 65 points in a game which will have a dramatic impact on the race to secure Champions League football for the 2013-14 season. This will be the 190th time the two teams have met each other.

Chelsea are one of the few major English football teams who never played Spurs during the Victorian Era, as they were only founded in 1905 and were admitted into the Second Division of the Football League without ever having played a match before.

This was due to the rivalry that existed at the time between the Football League and the Southern League with the former desperate to make in-roads into the lucrative markets which London and the South-East provided.

The first meeting between Spurs and Chelsea was a friendly played at Stamford Bridge in February 1908 and ended in a 1-1 draw.

The same venue saw the first Football League Division One encounter in December 1909 and Chelsea won that match 2-1.

The return fixture at White Hart Lane was won by Spurs 2-1 and in between those two matches the clubs met in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in a match which Spurs won 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Spurs and Chelsea would meet for another three seasons in the First Division before the outbreak of World War One with honours even at two wins for Spurs, two wins for Chelsea and two drawn matches.

14 games were played during the First World War and these featured many players who 'guested' for both clubs. Five of Tottenham's "home" games were played at Woolwich's Highbury Stadium.

Spurs and Chelsea had finished in the bottom two places in the last season of the First Division when war broke out and when football resumed in 1919, the Division was expanded from 20 to 22 teams.

Woolwich engineered a 'promotion' to the First Division at Spurs' expense but Tottenham easilly won the Division Two Championship and the next season had two emphatic wins over Chelsea 5-0 at home and 4-0 at the Bridge.

The teams would meet for another five seasons in the First Division and two seasons in the Second Division during the inter-war period - season 1929-30 was the last time Spurs & Chelsea played League games outside the Top Flight of English Football.

Spurs only lost two of those 14 League matches.

During World War Two, 16 games were played between Spurs and Chelsea

Spurs returned to the First Division in season 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Chelsea winning 2-0 away and 2-1 at home on their way to the first Football League Championship.

Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea contested the first all-London FA Cup Final in 1967 at Wembley with Spurs winning 2-1 thanks to goals scored by Jimmy Robertson and Frank Saul.

The first meeting in the Football League Cup came in the 1971-72 Semi-Finals with Chelsea winning the first leg at Stamford Bridge 3-2 and Spurs only managing a 2-2 draw at White Hart Lane.

Both clubs were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 and both have been ever-present for the 21 seasons of the competition, along with Woolwich, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Chelsea have very much had the upper hand during the Premier League Era with 23 wins to Tottenham's 3 with the remaining 15 matches drawn.

A second domestic Cup Final was contested in 2008 when Spurs beat Chelsea in the Football League (Carling) Cup Final 2-1 after extra time at Wembley. A Dimitar Berbatov penalty and a Jonathan Woodgate header ensured the silverware would once again reside in North London.

The 2010-11 fixture in December at White Hart Lane resulted in a 1-1 draw with Roman Pavlyuchenko scoring for Spurs after 15 minutes and Didier Drogba getting Chelsea's equaliser after 70 minutes. Drogba's injury time penalty was saved by Heurelho Gomes.

The reverse fixture at Stamford Bridge in April was won by Chelsea 2-1 with Spurs taking a 19th minute lead through Sandro and Frank Lampard equalising on half time. Salomon Kalou scored the winner after 89 minutes.

The 2011-12 match at White Hart Lane in December resulted in a 1-1 draw with Emmanuel Adebayor putting Spurs ahead after 8 minutes and Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge getting the equaliser in the 23rd minute. The game at Stamford Bridge in March ended in a goalless draw.

Chelsea won the 2012 FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley 5-1 with the turning-point coming from a 49th minute Juan Mata goal which never crossed the line. Didier Drogba had put the Blues ahead just before the interval and Spurs managed to pull a goal back in the 56th minute through Gareth Bale. Three further goals from Ramares, Lampard and Malouda were added for Chelsea.

Andre Villas-Boas was sacked as Chelsea's manager in March 2012 and became the manager of Tottenham Hotspur on 3rd July 2012.

The match at White Hart Lane in October 2012 was won by Chelsea 4-2. A Gary Cahill volly after 17 minutes was the only goal of the first half and Spurs went ahead with goals from William Gallas and Jermain Defoe. A brace from Juan Mata and a Daniel Sturridge goal gave Chelsea the three points.

Overall, Spurs have won 68, Chelsea have won 74 and 47 of the 189 matches between the two clubs have been drawn.

Clive Allen
Les Allen
Jimmy Armstrong
Frank Arnesen (Director of Football both clubs)
Eddie Bailey
Ted Birnie
Danny Blanchflower (Spurs player, Chelsea manager)
Derek Brazil
Johnny Brooks
Bill Cartwright
Sid Castle
David Copeland
Carlo Cudicini
Jason Cundy
Kerry Dixon
Gordon Durie
Mark Falco
William Gallas
Lee Gardner
George Graham (Chelsea player, Spurs manager)
Jimmy Greaves
Frode Grodas
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Tommy Harmer (Spurs player, Chelsea coach)
Alan Harris (Chelsea player, Spurs asst. manager)
Micky Hazard
Glenn Hoddle (Spurs & Chelsea player & manager)
Stewart Houston (Chelsea player, Spurs asst. manager)
Percy Humphries
Steve Kelly
John Kirwan
Colin Lee
Scott Parker
Gustavo Poyet
Graham Roberts
Max Seeburg
Buchanan Sharp
Bobby Smith
Neil Sullivan
Andy Thompson (Spurs player, Chelsea coach)
Sid Tickridge
Jimmy Townley
Terry Venables (also Spurs manager)
Andre Villas-Boas (manager at both clubs)
Keith Weller
Ernie Walley (Spurs player, Chelsea asst. manager)
Harry Wilding
Clive Wilson
Vivian Woodward

Last edited:
It's all come down to this. We must win this match. There is no other way. Our whole season's outcome will be determined here. COYS.

Hate to be the one to bring the negative but if we played like we did today they are going to smash us.
That said, Chelsea shouldn't sit back to much so it may give us a little more space. I'm just massively worried after our last few performances and looking at theirs. They are in the winning habit and have players that could really hurt us.
We are very good away from home - lets just hope that is something that will help pull us through,

I'm rambling, im fucking scared for this one.

Huuuuuge game. Arguably the biggest game in recent years. We HAVE to win.
stop it!... nothings at stake but pound notes unless you win a cup for 3rd best loser!!
for fucks sake 4th wouldn't have guaranteed you a uefa cup place not long ago.

fed up with bollocks about qualification for the qualification stage of a competition we aint going to win & the bollocks that the money it brings will get us better players cause it wont.

stop it!... nothings at stake but pound notes unless you win a cup for 3rd best loser!!

fed up with bollocks about qualification for the qualification stage of a competition we aint going to win & the bollocks that the money it brings will get us better players cause it wont.
spot on here mate. Only benefit to finishing 3/4th now is that we will finish above Woolwich.

Yeah, but it does get you a massive shot at CL these days. I frankly want to see my team playing against some of the best in the world, and there's no stage for that like the CL. I want players to join our squad looking at the direction we're travelling and know we're progressing.

your welcome to neg rep me but have the politeness & backbone to input something of an argument why.:p
I clicked the disagree button because I disagree with your post mate, there is nothing impolite or cowardly about that. I honestly don't think I need to explain to anyone on this forum why finishing in the top 4 is an important thing for the club's future. Maybe for you it's 'win the league or nothing'. But for a lot of other people getting into CL (and getting the benefits that come with it) is the first, but extremely crucial, step on the road to success and glory for the club.

Firstly, if the players aren't up for the Chelsea game, then shame on them. I can stomach losing as long as they give everything during the game.

Secondly, I sort of agree with the sentiments expressed about the Champions League and finishing 3rd/4th - I still maintain the Champions League should be for Champions only. But it is what it is - would players like Carrick, Modric, Berbatov have left us if we were regularly in the CL?

Our one season in the CL was a wonderful experience and I want to repeat it again and again.

As an aside, Tuesday (7 May) will be the 7th anniversary of "Lasgnagate"! Hope we provide our own chef for the Chelsea game ;)

I clicked the disagree button because I disagree with your post mate, there is nothing impolite or cowardly about that. I honestly don't think I need to explain to anyone on this forum why finishing in the top 4 is an important thing for the club's future. Maybe for you it's 'win the league or nothing'. But for a lot of other people getting into CL (and getting the benefits that come with it) is the first, but extremely crucial, step on the road to success and glory for the club.

i think at best its impolite mate! & you got me wrong ... I know we're not good enough to win the league & our season died in basle..i'm realistic & that was the best chance we had of winning a trophy this season & that's the first & most crucial step to success & glory not finance!... we don't pay players enough even with ecl football to attract the sort of players needed to compete properly at that level. the only benefit of ecl footbsall is playing at europes great stadia & even that now has a downside because the of the amount of jcls now travelling.
personally i'd play the kids in the ecl if we qualified because we havn't got a cat in hells chance of winning it & should concentrate on local success first. my eyes have seen the glory mate & coming 4th is neither success or glory.
imagine in 20 years time your trying to explain to your kid/s the wonderful year we came 4th & put a few million quid on the balance sheet!.. then imagine showing them pictures of the captian of the day holding aloft a trophy or even better showing him a replica of the said trophy in the cabinet at the lane.

don't beleive the hype.[/quote]

i think at best its impolite mate! & you got me wrong ... I know we're not good enough to win the league & our season died in basle..i'm realistic & that was the best chance we had of winning a trophy this season & that's the first & most crucial step to success & glory not finance!... we don't pay players enough even with ecl football to attract the sort of players needed to compete properly at that level. the only benefit of ecl footbsall is playing at europes great stadia & even that now has a downside because the of the amount of jcls now travelling.
personally i'd play the kids in the ecl if we qualified because we havn't got a cat in hells chance of winning it & should concentrate on local success first. my eyes have seen the glory mate & coming 4th is neither success or glory.
imagine in 20 years time your trying to explain to your kid/s the wonderful year we came 4th & put a few million quid on the balance sheet!.. then imagine showing them pictures of the captian of the day holding aloft a trophy or even better showing him a replica of the said trophy in the cabinet at the lane.

don't beleive the hype.
I don't know what your point is. CL is where the money and prestige is. It's where all the top players and managers want to be. It's the highest level of competition in this sport. Why shouldn't we want to be competing at that level? Do you think players like Lloris, Vertonghen and Bale will hang around here just for the love of it? The fact that we've already flirted with the CL once before and are showing promise of getting there again is a HUGE factor in why we have been able to attract players of that caliber these days. But if it becomes apparent that it's just talk and we don't have the drive to actually get there, these quality players will pack their bags and go. That's how football is these days, whether you like it or not. And it's not just the players, young ambitious managers like AVB don't want to hang around a club if they feel like there is no ambition to move up in the world.

Getting into the CL brings in some good money initially (that we desperately need to strengthen our squad this summer), but it also brings recognition. The more we can get the name of the club out there, the more likely it will be that young talent will want to come here in the future. And it makes it possible to get more lucrative sponsorship deals, which in turn allows us to increase wages a bit and therefore hold on to our players better. And becoming a regular fixture in the CL will likely accelerate the new stadium plans, because it will become even more necessary.

We can't just go from 5th or 6th to suddenly winning the league next year, not without some Russian or Arab money man. We need to take one step at a time. And like I said before, the first step is getting to the CL and getting all the benefits that come with it, and moving up from there.

And you know what, if nothing else, we would at least get to watch the Spurs play against the very best in Europe, which is in itself a great pleasure if you ask me.

When was the last time we beat them at 'the bridge'

This is the final annoying stat we need to put to bed having beat Man Utd at Old Trafford this season, Howells and Lineker in 1990 scoring in a 2-1 win was the last time.

Mrs Perryman
Secondly, I sort of agree with the sentiments expressed about the Champions League and finishing 3rd/4th - I still maintain the Champions League should be for Champions only. But it is what it is - would players like Carrick, Modric, Berbatov have left us if we were regularly in the CL?

Same here, funnil enough, I don't have a problem with the CONCEPT of the Champions League... 4 of the top clubs from each country, form a mini-European league, from which the winners emerge into a pulsating knock-out competition, full of drama and reward...

...my problem is that it's called the CHAMPIONS league, when it clearly isn't!
Surely it's the League of Europe, or, if you will, a EUROPA LEAGUE!!

Oh, and my other problem is the CL drop out clubs that go straight into (and will no doubt win) the actual Europa league.

Terrible rule that should stop, as of next season!
It would be like any Premier League club that gets knocked out at the 3rd round of the FA Cup drop into the latter stages of the League Cup!
There.Would.Be.Outrage!!!!

what I want to know - is why is it that 2 people have said disagree, yet you only have -1 on your reputation?

I agree with you on your point, and believe that its the way things SHOULD be.

But - they're not. So if getting CL means we get to keep Bale, and the possibility that we may sign the likes of Damiaio, or Higuain or Moutinho.

Then we would be foolish not to go balls out for it.

Back
Top Bottom