Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace - FA CUP 5th Round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disappointed to be out of the FA Cup. It remains a trophy that I really want us to win despite its ever diminishing status.

That said, it happens, and on another day we would have won that game. It certainly wasn't as if we were pummelled by a better team.

What has struck me though is that certain players are either playing too often, Dier is unquestionably one of those. Whilst one or two, injuries aside, haven't been able to deputise with the same intensity as those they replace. Bentaleb is the obvious player to stand out here, and whilst I'm unsure if his contract behaviour and seemingly openly courting of Italian clubs has meant that even when fit he is still not getting selected but I'd have much preferred that he had some more time on the pitch prior to yesterdays game, if only to keep him sharper for competitive fixtures.

All that said, I can't be critical of this team, or at least not overly. If this defeat goes some way to us remaining title challengers then so be it.
Pretty much how I saw it as well.
I didn't have high hopes when Dier was put back in the defence .I am sure Poch had his reasons,but if it isn't broken don't fix it. And after looking for a good DM for ages, we now have one.
I know I tend to view games through lily white spectacles, but I still say we were the better side. Their keeper played well, and on another day the ping pong effort in the first half would have gone in.And I saw two decent shouts for a penalty(you win some, you lose some)
Gutted to be out, as I love the trophy. But we still have a lot to look forward to in this campaign

Touché

touche.gif

It's a shame CCV doesn't seem anywhere near ready... would've been nice to see him alongside Wimmer, if only to give Dier a day off... and if we were going out, I'd rather it not be at the expense of 1st team players fitness and energy levels...
Dier has to be rested on Thursday? surely upon surely we've got other options in DCM... Bentaleb didn't cover himself in glory yesterday, but it;s up to him to pull his finger out, and put in a performance that forces him back into the team, or, if everyone's suspicions are right, earn a move elsewhere!
Either way, he has to be playing better to 'earn' either!

The thing i do not really understand is with the F A Cup we were only a few games away from the final.With the Europa we are like another six games if not more away from the final with a shit load of travel and sunday premier games after it.. Also hate to put a pisser on things we could still finish 4th and not get in the Champions League

I'm gutted about yesterday - was a real chance for us to win it plus the prospect of a mouth-watering semi-final & final London derby. There's no doubt about it we were unlucky not to get at least a replay. Let's be honest, the goal was a shocker to concede:

Rose - absolutely sucked into CB territory - Wimmer was positioned well to stop Zaha - if Rose was where he should of been (LB position) the goal wouldn't have happened. He's had a great season for us but has got to hold his hands up there - it's refreshing that Davies, being so ready to step in, will help to ensure Rose won't take his place for granted any more

Vorm - Kelly didn't get hold of the shot, he basically sliced it. Even if he did get hold of it, he shouldn't be scoring at the near post. Hugo really is a big loss - imperative that he's back in as soon as he's ready otherwise I could see things falling apart.

At RB, I still see Walker as a bit of a calamity, he just can't seem to change his ways and every now and then will take needless risks and his concentration isn't good at times. He has had a good season on the whole but thinking back to the home game against west ham, he scored and then straight away gifted them a goal - classic. His pace does seem to get him out of jail - similar to the situation at LB, it's refreshing to have Trippier pushing Walker for a place, I think he is more effective than Walker going forward, if he can work on his defensive game a bit more he'll be hammering on the door for a space in a big game.

Anyway,

The most refreshing thing about us this season is that we have bounced back after the losses - let's hope and pray for tenacious and solid victories on Thursday and Sunday so that we go to West Ham full of confidence.

Smashing those pathetic gooners a week on Saturday to open up a nice gap wouldn't be too shabby either....

COYS

The thing i do not really understand is with the F A Cup we were only a few games away from the final.With the Europa we are like another six games if not more away from the final with a shit load of travel and sunday premier games after it.. Also hate to put a pisser on things we could still finish 4th and not get in the Champions League

Agreed. If I had to choose going out of one of the cups I'd choose Europa any day. Felt we have a decent chance of winning the FA Cup. Our games in Europa have done nothing to convince me that we have a chance to win it.

We didn't though.

2 played because of injuries (Vorm & Wimmer). Out of the remaining 9, there were 6 or 7 who would be in most people's best eleven. I say 6-7 because Dier was "out of position" and Son vs Lamela is debatable. Only 2 players, Bentaleb and Onomah, can unquestionably be deemed as weak selections. And that sort of rotation has to happen with 3 days no matter what with less than three full days and travel imho.
Only a minor disagreement, but how can Son or Lamela be debatable ? Lamela every time for me. Son played well yesterday, but he has a lot to prove overall. Not saying Lamela is perfect, but we missed him yesterday I felt

Disappointing to go out.

But more disappointing by some distance was the amount of energy sections of the crowd were giving to booing Adebayor rather than supporting their team.
An absolute embarrassment.
A disgrace.
Supposedly grown men near me encouraging their children to be negative.

I've let the match sink in. Still angry about it.
Europa League doesn't mean shit to me. To much unnecessary games and long travels to Fuckoffstan. The only way I can think of Poch seeing it differently is that it's preparation for next years CL.
We played a better and more balanced team on Thursday than yesterday. Yesterday was gung-ho. We were really unlucky not to score in the first half and their goal was so spursy. Second half we tried to attack them on high pressure and force them to buckle under, not unlikely what happened to the Newcastle and Leicester-matches where we really wanted wins as well. The problem is that when we do this we give the opposition too much space to run in when we loose the ball and are exposed. It's a reason why we've lost those kind of games. We try do dominate them but looses our heads when we aren't and it makes a negative spiral where we are getting more and more frustrated and unconcentrated. We still need to improve this part of our game.
I trust that Poch know what to do on Thursday. If we fuck up there as well we don't deserve any league title. I'm not demanding any title it would be an amazing bonus really, what I demand is that we can challenge Woolwhich and finally finish above them. We are finally capable of it, so please make it happen.

Last edited:
Classic Spurs home result is classic

We were unlucky to be fair and should have killed it off during the first half

Also - you cannot waste 25 corners

Disappointing to go out.

But more disappointing by some distance was the amount of energy sections of the crowd were giving to booing Adebayor rather than supporting their team.
A disgrace.
That nearly caused a tear up with a couple of blokes behind me and a group a few rows behind them in the Paxton upper yesterday.
All silly stuff

Bentaleb came from relative obscurity and performed a role better than his peers were at the time, but the competition and progress has increased, yet he seems to have stood still. Needs a wake up call.

That's pretty much it.

Not saying he cannot improve, just saying he hasn't. And he's been overtaken by all of Mason, Carroll and Onomah.

how is Bentaleb supposed to get back to last seasons form if he plays 1 game then doesn't play for a few weeks?

He came in last time having played never and rightfully commanded a place. Everyone commended his maturity, calming influence and so on despite him never played before at that level. Something like that would be a start, rather than hiding behind match sharpness bollocks. These are "top level" professional footballers. Kicking a ball to a team mate, and not shooting because you are toss at scoring shouldn't need that much practice.

Getting a match and playing like you don't care is disgraceful. I could be wrong, but that's certainly the impression I get from having seen him this season.

Disappointing to go out.

A disgrace.

Negative? not supporting the team and you sit in the Paxton?!?! Shocking!

giphy.gif

Really sorry guys to butt into ur convo but am new to this site and have no idea how to do a post of my own lol
I was wondering if u could help me out?
My partner has been a Spurs fan all his life and has never had the pleasure of seeing them play let alone go to their home ground (shit childhood) and I am desperate to get him up there for his bday which is in April
I've been told that members sell their tickets when they can't get to see them play is this true? If so how to I find such members? Or any other way would be muchly appreciated
Many thanks in advance x

Just looked, and to win the Europa League we have to play 8 more games, which would make 16 games altogether.

Really sorry guys to butt into ur convo but am new to this site and have no idea how to do a post of my own lol
I was wondering if u could help me out?
My partner has been a Spurs fan all his life and has never had the pleasure of seeing them play let alone go to their home ground (shit childhood) and I am desperate to get him up there for his bday which is in April
I've been told that members sell their tickets when they can't get to see them play is this true? If so how to I find such members? Or any other way would be muchly appreciated
Many thanks in advance x

As we are chasing the title all the home games are going to sell out, and I doubt if many tickets will even make it to general sale. Your best bet is probably to keep an eye on StubHub closer to the date.
StubHub!

Back
Top Bottom