Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

what you said was disrespectful and wrong, the fact this is the internet isn't an excuse for posting crap, its just that you can.
Dawson possesses talents and ability that people like you (his detractors) deliberately ignore, as it makes your condemnation easier.
and I'm not agitated or upset, just disappointed that people are unfairly critical over a still worthwhile and viable member of the squad, and the club captain.
@ Mick Cooper Mick Cooper I realise he has talent, otherwise he wouldn't be playing Premier League football. Don't take a throwaway comment and try to make it so black and white.

You could pull up posts all day and call them stupid, ridiculous, cruel, disappointing, offensive. Who was it disrespectful too? I didn't post it on Dawson's twitter to directly target him. Far worse has been said, on here and on Twitter. As I said, it was an analogy, not a personal attack.

I'm not a detractor. If you look back at the thread from the Fulham away game, I was very complimentary of him where as many were saying he had a terrible game. My comment was based on his recent performances, which simply haven't been good enough, particularly given he is captain. His mistakes are now far too common, and too costly, to be in our starting line-up on e regular basis. Given our injury list, we haven't had much choice lately - my gripe is that I expect even with all 4 centre backs fit, he'll still start, and I don't believe he should.

He certainly has a place in our squad, but our captain should be leading by example. He gives 100%, but at times looks lost at the back. Just look at the goal in this game. Yes, Verts should have won the header, but any defender worth his salt would have seen Long running and taken a step back to cover that, rather than stand 5 yards from the man with the ball and not track the run either. He rendered himself useless in that situation, and albeit he wasn't solely responsible, a goal that was could have been stopped if he read the game better.

We have to have a skipper who is consistent every game and leads by example!!
And when Jan is fit, he is that man. A far superior defender to Dawson in so many ways. We should be doing all we can to encourage him to stay. Captaincy (as much as it is debated as to how important this is) would show that he is first name on the team sheet.

@ Mick Cooper Mick Cooper I realise he has talent, otherwise he wouldn't be playing Premier League football. Don't take a throwaway comment and try to make it so black and white.

You could pull up posts all day and call them stupid, ridiculous, cruel, disappointing, offensive. Who was it disrespectful too? I didn't post it on Dawson's twitter to directly target him. Far worse has been said, on here and on Twitter. As I said, it was an analogy, not a personal attack.

I'm not a detractor. If you look back at the thread from the Fulham away game, I was very complimentary of him where as many were saying he had a terrible game. My comment was based on his recent performances, which simply haven't been good enough, particularly given he is captain. His mistakes are now far too common, and too costly, to be in our starting line-up on e regular basis. Given our injury list, we haven't had much choice lately - my gripe is that I expect even with all 4 centre backs fit, he'll still start, and I don't believe he should.

He certainly has a place in our squad, but our captain should be leading by example. He gives 100%, but at times looks lost at the back. Just look at the goal in this game. Yes, Verts should have won the header, but any defender worth his salt would have seen Long running and taken a step back to cover that, rather than stand 5 yards from the man with the ball and not track the run either. He rendered himself useless in that situation, and albeit he wasn't solely responsible, a goal that was could have been stopped if he read the game better.
so he has to not only cut out his own mistakes to gain your approval, but those of his fellow defenders as well?

Its a team game and players can sell out their team mates and make them look mugs
too often he gets all the blame when there are teammates around him that leave him in the shit.

I see his weaknesses, and his mistakes, but I also see the good in his game - but I dont see the need to single him out, when he is part of a malfunctioning defensive unit, not the root cause of it

we all see what we want to see.

so he has to not only cut out his own mistakes to gain your approval, but those of his fellow defenders as well?

Its a team game and players can sell out their team mates and make them look mugs
too often he gets all the blame when there are teammates around him that leave him in the shit.

I see his weaknesses, and his mistakes, but I also see the good in his game - but I dont see the need to single him out, when he is part of a malfunctioning defensive unit, not the root cause of it

we all see what we want to see.
I pointed out what he could have done better, but also mentioned that Jan shouldn't have lost the header, so I don't see how I'm singling him out. The topic was Dawson, so I discussed as such.

Walker is an excellent player, but still needs to improve defensively, though I do think he has come on leaps and bounds this season. That said, he is still better at going forward than defending and his primary job is defending, so room for improvement - but age is on his side.

Nowhere near as sold on Chiriches as many seem to be. Has been good value for money so far, but I don't think you'd find many fans of the top 6 clubs that would jump at the chance of having him. Been great cover for our injuries, but would be behind Kaboul and Jan in our best XI for me. Has age on his side.

Rose - could probably improve everything about his game. Wouldn't be sad to see him go, or be replaced with a better defender and have him fight for his place (lets be honest, Fryers is nowhere near our team at the moment - or at least shouldn't be). Dispensable, but puts in a good shift, overlaps well and can put in a good cross. Needs to show at Spurs what he showed up north. Has age on his side.

Dawson. Generally a good reader of the game which often makes up for his lack of pace. Didn't fit into AVB's high line system which brought him in for criticism, though doesn't seem to have improved his form under Sherwood playing deeper. Good in the air but doesn't trouble defences enough from set pieces. Doesn't bring any experience with him (we are by far the biggest and best club he's ever played for), and never really broke into an England team that had weaknesses all over. The last 2 points, the same could be said for Ledley, but he was no doubt a more naturally gifted player than Dawson is. Given his age, he is only going to continue to decline (he is no John Terry), and I think that by giving him captaincy you are sending a negative message to the other players.

Sure, he tries, and he's been at the club for x number of years, but we almost sold him to QPR for fuck sake, then he's fit to lead us from the back into the Champions League? Fair play, he stuck it out and earned his place back into our team, and I firmly believe that, in the right setup, he could still offer an awful lot. But not in our current setup. And we certainly shouldn't be building our team around a 30-year old when we have some of Europe's best young talent elsewhere on the pitch.

Dawson is not leading from the front like a captain should do!!
I think he is trying to, but under the current circumstances (formation, shape, defensive line etc), is simply incapable of doing so. And if we should be building around anyone at the back, it should be Vertonghen, not Dawson.

Sadly, I don't think Tim would have the balls to drop the captain (neither did AVB btw!) so I'd imagine it would only get worse as opposition teams will specifically target him at the back

If people think that we would've won all these matches if capoue was playing, are being delusional. This is a team game and our team juat isn't playing well and we just aren't attacking fluidly enough.
It puzzles me how we can blame one player for the whole teams lacklustre performance.

Capoue played half a game scored 1.

On that notion if he had played the last 4/5 games he would have scored 8-10.

That is how football works...

I pointed out what he could have done better, but also mentioned that Jan shouldn't have lost the header, so I don't see how I'm singling him out. The topic was Dawson, so I discussed as such.

Walker is an excellent player, but still needs to improve defensively, though I do think he has come on leaps and bounds this season. That said, he is still better at going forward than defending and his primary job is defending, so room for improvement - but age is on his side.

Nowhere near as sold on Chiriches as many seem to be. Has been good value for money so far, but I don't think you'd find many fans of the top 6 clubs that would jump at the chance of having him. Been great cover for our injuries, but would be behind Kaboul and Jan in our best XI for me. Has age on his side.

Rose - could probably improve everything about his game. Wouldn't be sad to see him go, or be replaced with a better defender and have him fight for his place (lets be honest, Fryers is nowhere near our team at the moment - or at least shouldn't be). Dispensable, but puts in a good shift, overlaps well and can put in a good cross. Needs to show at Spurs what he showed up north. Has age on his side.

Dawson. Generally a good reader of the game which often makes up for his lack of pace. Didn't fit into AVB's high line system which brought him in for criticism, though doesn't seem to have improved his form under Sherwood playing deeper. Good in the air but doesn't trouble defences enough from set pieces. Doesn't bring any experience with him (we are by far the biggest and best club he's ever played for), and never really broke into an England team that had weaknesses all over. The last 2 points, the same could be said for Ledley, but he was no doubt a more naturally gifted player than Dawson is. Given his age, he is only going to continue to decline (he is no John Terry), and I think that by giving him captaincy you are sending a negative message to the other players.

Sure, he tries, and he's been at the club for x number of years, but we almost sold him to QPR for fuck sake, then he's fit to lead us from the back into the Champions League? Fair play, he stuck it out and earned his place back into our team, and I firmly believe that, in the right setup, he could still offer an awful lot. But not in our current setup. And we certainly shouldn't be building our team around a 30-year old when we have some of Europe's best young talent elsewhere on the pitch.
you're pushing an open door to an extent
you're just trying too hard to justify it.

If I had all of the players fit, I wouldn't pick him.
I'm just not going to machine gun him , and set fire to to his dying remains, game after game after game
irrespective of whether he deserves it or not.

Back
Top Bottom