Tottenham Hotspur v. Internazionale (Home), 7 Mar 2013 20:05

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When I joined Twitter in 2010, one of the first things I did was work with WindyCOYS WindyCOYS (That's right, I'm name-dropping twenty words in. Deal with it.) on trying to make up a song for the hot, exciting young talent Sandro. He had just been the belle of the débutant ball, and just like people get to lose their virginity twice these days, he had two brilliant débuts: one in Milan and one in North London, but both against the same club.

So Windy suggested making up a song along the lines of "Mambo italiano", and I fleshed out the lyrics a bit and even made a video of it featuring Sandro's performance in the CL against our next opponents, whom he had smashed to bits:

Anyway, having publicised the video and suggested the song, it fell to me to hear those words every bright-eyed and bushy-tailed wannabe Berlin lives in mortal fear of hearing: "great work, mate, but I can't see the lads in Park Lane ever singing this." I haven't written another song since, save the "Isn't it awfully nice to have a Jenas?" ditty I tossed off a few months ago.

But less about me and more about our next opponents, Associazione Calcio Milan. There are a lot of reasons to despise this club, beginning with the red in their shirts, but lately they're in the news mostly because of the shenanigans of la famiglia Berlusconi. First there's Paolo Berlusconi, who used racial language in referring to the club's newest arrival, Mario Balotelli. He later explained that racism works differently in Italy, and he's probably right. In the meantime, I've heard that Silvio has taken to referring to his brother as "Suarezetto".

And now Silvio is in the news, first because of allegedly bribing politicians in Naples, and next because topless Ukrainian women are throwing themselves on him in protest. Just another day at the office for one of the most polarising figures in Europe.

Either way, the club are now holding on to a precarious third place position in Serie A, a full five points behind Napoli in second and only one point above groundsharing rivals Inter and the fascists who protest too much, Lazio. A slip-up in their run in could mean no CL, and then what would the club have? And only one win off the pace, lurking in sixth, are Fiorentina. Speaking of Fiorentina, I loved those old shirts:
A6TRBa8.jpg

Batigol? More like Beautyshirt, amirite?

As for the match itself, I'm surprised that AVB hasn't pulled a Fergie and complained about having to play a European club right after a Sunday match, but perhaps manners are part of the Continental curriculum. I don't know. Either way, some amount of rotation will probably be on order. Will USA come back in goal? Probably. Will Caulker take Dawson's place? Maybe. Holtby? Why not? And I suspect that 75% of this forum will render their keyboards inoperative an hour before kickoff as their ejaculate shorts the circuits after reading that Adebayor has been dropped in favour of Defoe.

I suspect we'll see another nervy 2–1 performance, which will mean more nerves on the away leg. Still, if we wanted the soft path to Amsterdam, we should have won our group. That said, nothing beats a glory night against a top European team, or so one or two books have told me.

The match kicks off at 20:05 BST, which is 22:05 Vilnius time and 15:05 EST, so duck out of work early, Americans. Or at least start going to work on that tequila at lunch. In the UK, ITV1 have the honours of broadcasting the match, and in the US Fox Soccer Channel will be showing it. To find the match in your area, please consult the listings.

Edit: Oh, we're playing Inter? Er, they still have Maicon, right?

:adelol:

Hopefully we can grab a couple of goals and shut them out. Would be nice to go into the next leg without the pant wetting away goal hanging over us.

This truly is the week of heroes!

Wow this game is coming around quickly. I'm not really nervous for this game as much now. If we win YAY! If we lose we can concentrate on being in the Top 4.

I know that sounds shit but fuck me two 'BIG' games in 5 days.

Would rather we rested some of our first team players for the Liverpool game.

I'd take a 0-0 draw and a win over Liverpool. But, as we all know, football doesn't work like that. Something tells me we can't keep winning as we are though.

the last time round we played inter, someone had a meteoric rise to stardom.. :baletroll:

this time round... we should have another.. right? :holtbytongue:

For me, and I'm not being pedantic, the Europa League has a more romantic feel to it then the CL. The CL is basically sky's money maker and so plastic and fabricated, Europa League feels more propa'.
Don't get me wrong, we need to be in the champions league and I'd bite your hand off for it, but not as much as I would for a win in Amsterdam in May.

Right, I've been getting hammered at work so not posted for a while. However, is anyone going for a pint Liverpool St way before heading up to the game?

Something tells me we can't keep winning as we are though.

Its funny cos after we drew with Norwich, in all competitions our form was DDLD. For me, I felt the season was starting to grind to a halt......now I feel that if we suffer a defeat before the season is over, we have the strength to bounce back.

But I also wouldnt be surprised if we didnt lose another PL game this season.

JINX

Right, I've been getting hammered at work so not posted for a while. However, is anyone going for a pint Liverpool St way before heading up to the game?
As normal I will be heading to the Bricklayers on Tottenham High Rd, near the stadium. Fantastic pre-match atomasphere, plenty of anti-woolwich chanting and beer flying everywhere.

Gets you right in the mood for the game, it was mad in there yesterday but I loved it. The bars around Liverpool Street are full of yuppy bankers, sorry WANKERS.

Back
Top Bottom