Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool 31/8/14 1330 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know, I see a lot of people playing down this loss like it's not a big deal and they might be right. But there is a sense of deja vu about all this to me. Start of last season we were full of optimism, we had won 4 out of 4 with a 10-0 aggregate score if I'm not mistaken; then on the Sunday before deadline day we lost to Woolwich, 1-0 but they had chances to make it 2 or 3 easily. We had most of the possession that day at the Emirates, so we thought it wasn't so bad of a performance on that alone, and excused the result down to all those new players needing time to gel.
Two manager sackings and a bunch of non-stellar signings later, here we are again. I just can't find the silver lining like a lot of others seem to be.

Think of it this way, 38 games, 26 against the bottom 13 teams, 12 against the other teams in the "top 7" we just need to try and pick up as many as we can against bottom 13 and this season try and get a few more against the top sides along the way.

Now we have already turned the west ham result around, fine didn't play well so what first game together and a tough place to go with 10 men. Liverpool, yeah we got schooled today but its early, come March / April / May we should be hot to trot against these teams and put up more of a fight, get 6/7 more points along the way and see where we finish you never know, everyone will drop points. Just think of it that way, we will start doing better against those top teams new year, he has a philosophy and again it could well be about eriksen, when his passes start finding feet again, took him a while last year too, we're in business

COYS

You are one big pratt Mick and an oaf to boot.
No wonder you are exiled in the bermuda triangle!:roflmao:
An oaf???

you cad, you bounder.......

I challenge you to a duel, I'd offer a battle of wits

but its no sport - to fight an unarmed man........

I never thought to ask, you are man...................right?

(just joshing, old chap)

Total crap. We got bossed in the mids. Lamela should have been more right sided to shoot and ericksen on The left. For fuck sake! Sterling and allen a little punces. Why couldnt we push em off the ball?. Bentaleb only passes sudeways. I want sandro back. We need someobe who dribbles straight. Wtf happend to lloris kicking to opposition. So crap. 12 goals to 0 from 3 games against those twats. We used to dominate them!!

We are a good side with talent. i just feel we need to toughen up a little.

The first goal was always going to dictate the game for me. It seems that we strive on confidence and chasing a game form the 8th min was not ideal.

I agree with needing a forward

I don't know, I see a lot of people playing down this loss like it's not a big deal and they might be right. But there is a sense of deja vu about all this to me. Start of last season we were full of optimism, we had won 4 out of 4 with a 10-0 aggregate score if I'm not mistaken; then on the Sunday before deadline day we lost to Woolwich, 1-0 but they had chances to make it 2 or 3 easily. We had most of the possession that day at the Emirates, so we thought it wasn't so bad of a performance on that alone, and excused the result down to all those new players needing time to gel.
Two manager sackings and a bunch of non-stellar signings later, here we are again. I just can't find the silver lining like a lot of others seem to be.

:memeokay:

I wake up this morning still quite frustrated. Not with the result so much, but with the abject performance but mostly with myself. For allowing our early start to get the better of my expectations and for getting annoyed with a loss to Liverpool.

As a collective we all felt that Poch needs time to set in his methods and to build a team in his image and I personally think that fifth or sixth this season should be the minimum aim, whilst playing attractive, attacking football high on the agenda. Finishing fifth or sixth would mean that we drop a considerable number of points, likely to those that will finish higher up the table than us - and make no mistake the dippers would have won the league last year had bitey not been suspended for a fifth of it. We lost because they took their chances and made the most of the (numerous) mistakes from our players and thoroughly deserved the points. There is no shame in losing to the better team. We could lose the eight games to the top four this season and still finish in fifth or sixth because we are better than everyone else.

The frustration is in the performance though. Players have bad patches, or bad games. It seems to be our luck that our players collectively have these implosions, whether it be a lack of confidence in each other or themselves they seem to have these repeated situations where we fall apart.

Too many failures in one match, but I'll mention Rose, who put in a last season performance and has surely gifted Davies a start against Sunderland. Kaboul has shown exactly why he shouldn't be starting high tempo games, let alone captain. Capoue had too much to do and didn't track Allen for the penalty leaving Dier with a (poor) decision to make, which that prick took advantage of. Lloris looked nervous all game and his kicking was suspect. Eriksen was anonymous - as he has started the season being - whilst Lamela was increasing frustrated as the game wore on with a lack of influence. I am starting to think that they cannot both start in the same match. Ade saw a lot ball especially in wide areas but had no other options.

I am glad this happened in a way, because it has addressed our enthusiasm and probably taught Poch far more than the other four matches this season, and having the international break will allow him time to work on some more things.

TL;DR?

I don't mind losing football matches but at least play like you give a shit. In Poch we trust. COYS.

This season is transitional as last and with that you get results as yesterday. I honestly believe we are better set up and it's just waiting to happen for us. It's not how we react at the defeat it's how we respond to it? We are moving forward just yesterday it went a bit sideways. You can learn more from defeat than winning.

This season is transitional as last and with that you get results as yesterday. I honestly believe we are better set up and it's just waiting to happen for us. It's not how we react at the defeat it's how we respond to it? We are moving forward just yesterday it went a bit sideways. You can learn more from defeat than winning.

In comparison to last seasons performance it was far better than avb and Sherwood, 3-0 flattered Liverpool yesterday although they did deserve to win. 5-0 and 4-0 were fair results last season so on that we are up.

Need a bit extra firepower I feel and unfortunately I think Kaboul might be in the Dawson phase of his career, hopefully fazio will shore us up.

More importantly it's only the 3rd game so hopefully it's up from here.

Kabouls problem was he played Thurseday. I've always been an admirer of him, he is a very good player. Not sure about his fitness?
I can't understand why but we didn't perform. Maybe it was a lack of skipper. Someone neded to get us motivated on the pitch?

my scouse mate assures me that moreno has been clocked faster than ronaldo!!
2281237.jpg

which one?

Yesterday sucked but we weren't as bad as last season. Not that it's much consolation.
Liverpool have perhaps the best manager in the league to be fair, despite many people pretending that's not the case. They will beat most people this season and in that context this loss don't matter much.
Even Rogers took a season to really get going so we need to be patient with our manager who looks very good as well.
My only hope is that we adopt a plan b for teams better than us.

Kaboul was diabolical yesterday. I have defended him a lot on here, to ArcspacE ArcspacE in particular, but Younes looked every part the Championship standard you said he is.
His distribution was dreadful, his positioning worse (why did he drop so deep for the first goal playing Henderson onside?) yet he still found time for his marauding runs forward where he kicks the ball 15 yards ahead of himself and has to commit himself into a challenge, not only losing the ball but being left in a heap in the opposition's third.

Vertonghen wasn't much better, as I feared from last season, he simply doesn't care enough. Forget people saying he just has a miserable face but really he loves us - he doesn't show a 100th of the passion or desire that Terry, King or Vidic did/do.

I thought Rose had a good game, and bailed us out of a couple situations where we left ourselves short at the back. He seems to keep his head much better under Poch. Davies was distinctly average when he came on. I'm not sold on him yet.

The Moreno goal - I just do not understand why Capoue was seemingly jogging back, allowing him a free run at goal? There is no way Sandro would have done the same. And Kaboul watched him all the way as well without closing down. I know he was marking his man, but the basics of defending suggest the priority is to close down the ball first. That is the danger.

Negatives - We played like an AVB team. Side to side, no penetration or urgency. No intelligence or clever runs, no quick transitions of play. We gave away every goal.

Positives - We gave away every goal. They did not cut us open, we were responsible for every goal, and therefore if we eradicate those mistakes, we should be ok. The penalty was an abomination. Lamela. Rose.

In Poch we trust.

Back
Top Bottom