Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really? You think the melting yesterday was warranted? We were poor and we got a point. If you didn't know the score you could have been excused for thinking we'd lost 4-0 reading the match thread.
aren't they all like that though?
bring back Sammy - those were the good days, when we could beat city by 3 goals, and still be declared to be shit.

I miss him.

The most important thing when we're not playing well is to just not lose. It's the same as last season. Until we lost against Newcastle we were unbeaten apart from the first game despite long runs of being below par, and that's what made the media notice us as potential title contenders. You kind of forget the performance after a few weeks and just look at the results and so, so far it doesn't look too bad again.
The difference last season was that we outplayed all our opponents, just weren't lucky with the results. This season we've been outplayed by both Liverpool and Everton (marginally). That's a bit concerning. Yes we had better results, but with luck, and we all know that's not sustainable.

In any case, early days still. Let's see how the performances in the next 3-4 games pan out.

aren't they all like that though?
bring back Sammy - those were the good days, when we could beat city by 3 goals, and still be declared to be shit.

I miss him.
At least sammy had reasons for saying we were shit instead of spouting shit cos can't score etc

Looked inside to me.

This is the moment of contact. Firmino's left foot is on or just over the line, his right (the one clipped) well behind.

Cq3ZVSlWYAAr3yS

First things first for those who watched the game on the box, turn the commentary off. It's subtle and constant bias against us. I am not suggesting for one minute that it is even deliberate, just the view point of EVERY person involved with the commentary "supported" either Liverpool or Woolwich. Here is what I mean:
Constant reference to Spurs finishing the season poorly, must have been mentioned at least 5 times. Constant ref to Spurs not beating Liverpool since 2012. Contrast that with NOT a SINGLE reference to Liverpool only finishing above Spurs once in 7yrs!! Not a SINGLE reference to Liverpool finishing 8th last season, joint worst position in 61yrs!!! Why not say "Liverpool have failed to beat Spurs in three years"? When we scored Tylers first words were "Mane's offside goal was pivotal". When we attacked they spoke of the Liverpool defence. When they attacked they spoke of the Liverpool attack (not our defence). Alli's (the most fouled player in the game) temperament was AGAIN mentioned/highlighted, no reference to Mane's temperament, his was actually praised. Pulling up the Vertonghen shirt pull and saying it should be a penalty, failing to understand the rules as you can't give a penalty when the ball is not in play (the corner hadn't been taken). *Please don't confuse this as a disgruntled rant. They are not doing it deliberately, but if you support (and they do openly support their clubs passionately) what would you say if you were commentating? It's subtle but it is constant throughout the entire 90mins. and it's seeping into your consciousness too. Turn the commentary OFF, or go watch the game in the pub where you can't here the commentators.

The game:
Draw was a fair result. We had the better of the first 10mins, despite the best chance falling to them. Thought next 10mins was even, remainder of the half Liverpool were better. Second half, first 10mins they were better, without creating anything. Remainder of the half we were the better side.

The penalty shouldn't have even been given, Courtinho was offside and he was interfering with play by making a run to draw a defender. I fucking hate pens being conceded for a touch like that, what is the defending player supposed to do? Where is he supposed to go? If Lamela makes zero challenge or zero attempt to do anything how can it even be a foul? But it was given, their only goal they got was not from open play and shouldn't have been given! If that was a penalty why were we not awarded one Lovren against Jansen (holding), it was a stonewall pen.
Whilst I'm winging a bit, Mane, should have been sent off today, 4 clear yellow card fouls made only one given, lucky boy.

Wanyamma is a fantastic player, far far better than I thought he was, he is much more than a "beast" player, some great feet and intricate work in the first half.

Vorm, his save in first 5 mins was brilliant, stayed on his feet, reacted to shot, saved it and then reacted even quicker to gather the ball. Supper tackles off his line too, these moments are where you judge a keeper as they are decisions that are being made, every goalkeeper can pull off reaction saves once in a while, but having a keeper that make good decisions breeds confidence at the back.

Lamela - Very good again

Rose - Very good game, shut out Mane (which many defenders will fail to do this year), so much so he changed his position.

For me the players that are not at the same levels as last year are Kane, Alli and Dier. Although thought Dier was good when asked to play RB. I don't know why this is, loads of talk about Euro's etc but other players who played their Rose, Walker, Toby look OK and on form. Eriksen another disappointing game from him, but like last year he didn't show up until the Bournemouth game. But to have these 4 players (over a quarter of our team) not on form is basically the reason why we are not purring yet.

Started to read some of the comments on here and thought we had lost six nil. We took a point from a team that people are saying has a nailed on top 4 place. We've taken a point away from home from Everton, who I think will be vastly improved under Koeman probably a top 6 team. I think we are OK, very similar to last year. I'd go so far as to say that we are managing games better than the same time last year. Remember the Leicester away game, that was fucking horrible. We are not flowing yet but name me a team that is? Then name me a team that is above us who have played harder oppo than us, Hull??? Last year Poch didn't know his best team at this stage, so not only were we trying to click, each game there were players coming in and out of the team. This year we know the team, we therefore can see where the improvement should come from (Alli, Kane, Eriksen & Dier), with Dembele still to come back in I think things are more than OK right now.

Spot bloody on! I am sure sky used to have the option to switch commentary off?

I really could not care less what the so called analysts and commentators have to say about us, good or bad.

The difference last season was that we outplayed all our opponents, just weren't lucky with the results. This season we've been outplayed by both Liverpool and Everton (marginally). That's a bit concerning. Yes we had better results, but with luck, and we all know that's not sustainable.

In any case, early days still. Let's see how the performances in the next 3-4 games pan out.
True, but we started poorly last season, worse than this. Let's hope it just takes a while for Poch's pre-season training to kick in and for the players to get going. They don't look as though they are quite there yet, in terms of fitness and sharpness.

It's the ballot system. It doesn't work. It puts people off from applying, and the fact that there's no general sale to flog off any remaining tickets is embarrassing. It gives the impression that we can't sell 30,000 tickets.
I tried to get a ticket for a friend a bit last minute on a membership card and there were tickets available, but only via StubHub and so I didn't bother, just because of the principle of the process. I know it was on telly but this is one of the premium games of the season and is a bad sign of our capability to sell out a 60,000 stadium. I suppose we can go down the Spammers route and give away tickets to fill it out.

The penalty shouldn't have even been given

But because of the....

Vertonghen shirt pull

The ref felt obliged IMO? (for me - no pen).

As a club/team/players/supporters we need to fuck everyone off and get on with it.

We are looking laboured and seem to be looking for the answers to move to the next level. My guess this will happen with results/confidence. Poch will stumble onto his best team (yes stumble) and we will move forward.
Our game is energy and scoring goals, we need to get going. CL will spark it for me.

And on Twitter. Cheeky devils

2uh0i3c.gif

It wasn't a penalty despite the 'contact' being just outside the box. It simply was not a foul anyway. He made no effort to tackle, therefore it cannot be a foul. A Foul is misconduct and action he ref deems as unfair. There is no misconduct or anything unfair about it. There wasn't even a challenge.

The ref was fooled by the click heel trick. Firmino just felt slight contact, took a step into the box and clipped his own heels. He didn't know Lamela was nowhere near him, he's expecting him to be all over him.
  • Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct
  • Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences and infringements committed when the ball is in play. (vertonghen Incident)

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
  • needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

Last edited:
First things first for those who watched the game on the box, turn the commentary off. It's subtle and constant bias against us. I am not suggesting for one minute that it is even deliberate, just the view point of EVERY person involved with the commentary "supported" either Liverpool or Woolwich. Here is what I mean:
Constant reference to Spurs finishing the season poorly, must have been mentioned at least 5 times. Constant ref to Spurs not beating Liverpool since 2012. Contrast that with NOT a SINGLE reference to Liverpool only finishing above Spurs once in 7yrs!! Not a SINGLE reference to Liverpool finishing 8th last season, joint worst position in 61yrs!!! Why not say "Liverpool have failed to beat Spurs in three years"? When we scored Tylers first words were "Mane's offside goal was pivotal". When we attacked they spoke of the Liverpool defence. When they attacked they spoke of the Liverpool attack (not our defence). Alli's (the most fouled player in the game) temperament was AGAIN mentioned/highlighted, no reference to Mane's temperament, his was actually praised. Pulling up the Vertonghen shirt pull and saying it should be a penalty, failing to understand the rules as you can't give a penalty when the ball is not in play (the corner hadn't been taken). *Please don't confuse this as a disgruntled rant. They are not doing it deliberately, but if you support (and they do openly support their clubs passionately) what would you say if you were commentating? It's subtle but it is constant throughout the entire 90mins. and it's seeping into your consciousness too. Turn the commentary OFF, or go watch the game in the pub where you can't here the commentators.

The game:
Draw was a fair result. We had the better of the first 10mins, despite the best chance falling to them. Thought next 10mins was even, remainder of the half Liverpool were better. Second half, first 10mins they were better, without creating anything. Remainder of the half we were the better side.

The penalty shouldn't have even been given, Courtinho was offside and he was interfering with play by making a run to draw a defender. I fucking hate pens being conceded for a touch like that, what is the defending player supposed to do? Where is he supposed to go? If Lamela makes zero challenge or zero attempt to do anything how can it even be a foul? But it was given, their only goal they got was not from open play and shouldn't have been given! If that was a penalty why were we not awarded one Lovren against Jansen (holding), it was a stonewall pen.
Whilst I'm winging a bit, Mane, should have been sent off today, 4 clear yellow card fouls made only one given, lucky boy.

Wanyamma is a fantastic player, far far better than I thought he was, he is much more than a "beast" player, some great feet and intricate work in the first half.

Vorm, his save in first 5 mins was brilliant, stayed on his feet, reacted to shot, saved it and then reacted even quicker to gather the ball. Supper tackles off his line too, these moments are where you judge a keeper as they are decisions that are being made, every goalkeeper can pull off reaction saves once in a while, but having a keeper that make good decisions breeds confidence at the back.

Lamela - Very good again

Rose - Very good game, shut out Mane (which many defenders will fail to do this year), so much so he changed his position.

For me the players that are not at the same levels as last year are Kane, Alli and Dier. Although thought Dier was good when asked to play RB. I don't know why this is, loads of talk about Euro's etc but other players who played their Rose, Walker, Toby look OK and on form. Eriksen another disappointing game from him, but like last year he didn't show up until the Bournemouth game. But to have these 4 players (over a quarter of our team) not on form is basically the reason why we are not purring yet.

Started to read some of the comments on here and thought we had lost six nil. We took a point from a team that people are saying has a nailed on top 4 place. We've taken a point away from home from Everton, who I think will be vastly improved under Koeman probably a top 6 team. I think we are OK, very similar to last year. I'd go so far as to say that we are managing games better than the same time last year. Remember the Leicester away game, that was fucking horrible. We are not flowing yet but name me a team that is? Then name me a team that is above us who have played harder oppo than us, Hull??? Last year Poch didn't know his best team at this stage, so not only were we trying to click, each game there were players coming in and out of the team. This year we know the team, we therefore can see where the improvement should come from (Alli, Kane, Eriksen & Dier), with Dembele still to come back in I think things are more than OK right now.

I feel we are in a transition stage from last season to move up a level - we will do it in our own humble way. We are a good side/team, we just need to find our rhythm.

As we all know - the Chavs and others have gone out and spent top money to move up/improve. City,Chavs and Utd sign the best three coaches in Europe. The Chavs and Liverpool have no distractions-lucky for them. They have all been embarrassed, ( includes the TV companies), by LCs achievements last season and they will ALL not allow it to happen again.

We were the only team to run with LC last season and should be proud of that.

This video is entirely after the contact and only shows Firmino kicking his own heel
Look at my post again mate I didn't finish it.
Firmino waited until he go into the box.
I laughed when I watched the game Sunday morning and the commentators said
'the slight contact caused Firmino to the clip his own heels'
It wasn't a foul, it wasn't reckless, it wasn't intentional.
It was outside the box.
Firmino expectd Lamela to be much nearer to him.
ffs, that trick has been done hundreds of times by hundreds of players.
There is no way that 'contact' cause him to bring himself down like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom