Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2uh0i3c.gif

It wasn't a penalty despite the 'contact' being just outside the box. It simply was not a foul anyway. He made no effort to tackle, therefore it cannot be a foul. A Foul is misconduct and action he ref deems as unfair. There is no misconduct or anything unfair about it. There wasn't even a challenge.

The ref was fooled by the click heel trick. Firmino just felt slight contact, took a step into the box and clipped his own heels. He didn't know Lamela was nowhere near him, he's expecting him to be all over him.
  • Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct
  • Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences and infringements committed when the ball is in play. (vertonghen Incident)

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
  • needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

There are so many other aspects of the game that could be discussed and put to a debate but people get stuck with this pointless penalty argument. Yest it was a penalty, in the heat of the moment and the lack of 1000000 camera angles and a replay option any HUMAN being would award a penalty for that.
People should be discussing the overall performance of the game. The fact how Dier did a pretty good job replacing Walker and managed the get a few pretty decent crosses into the box (one that led to the goal). How almost none of our players are capable to dribble past opponents consistently. Wanyama, Walker and Lamela are our top dribblers with a good success percentage. We have a backup keeper that would be first choice for the majority of the PL teams but a subs bench with almost no real threat or real tactical change potential.
But yes, lets keep looking at 8 frames from 20 angles and shout MATCHFIXING.
Posting these absurd slow-mo, zoomed in and cropped clips makes us look like the fools we laugh at from other teams.

There are so many other aspects of the game that could be discussed and put to a debate but people get stuck with this pointless penalty argument. Yest it was a penalty, in the heat of the moment and the lack of 1000000 camera angles and a replay option any HUMAN being would award a penalty for that.
People should be discussing the overall performance of the game. The fact how Dier did a pretty good job replacing Walker and managed the get a few pretty decent crosses into the box (one that led to the goal). How almost none of our players are capable to dribble past opponents consistently. Wanyama, Walker and Lamela are our top dribblers with a good success percentage. We have a backup keeper that would be first choice for the majority of the PL teams but a subs bench with almost no real threat or real tactical change potential.
Posting these absurd slow-mo, zoomed in and cropped clips makes us look like the fools we laugh at from other teams.
I have already watched the game and discussed it.
I didn't think it was a penalty Saturday and took time to look at it again yesterday.
I ain't saying it's match fixing mate.
Just saying that players con refs and it wasn't a penalty.
If everyone had to play a thousand replays to notice the slight contact Lamela made what did Madley see yesterday, from his angle?
Firmino conned him.

I suppose if we wouldn't have scored it would have been the one aspect everyone was talking about.

This is a simple point, it was outside the box - this is a fact, not opinion, so it can be made and move on. I don't blame the referee for getting mistake, but it was one.

Liverpool's offside effort was offside, only just but offside all the same.

What frustrates me is that Sky gloss over (and BBC ignore entirely) the former whilst pouring all over the latter claiming that because it was only just offside the Lino should have allowed it.

Granted, what's more interesting to discuss is how we played, but these points still need to be made when considering context. People get caught up in headlines, and instead of "Liverpool get unwarranted penalty" it's all "Liverpool get harsh offside decision". Instead of "Janssen denied penalty" it's "Liverpool denied penalty" - when again it was clear that the tussle happened entirely before the corner was taken.

That's why people take issue with it, that's why we discuss incidents like is, because the media we follow are so biased towards Liverpool and don't give a fair comment.

This is a simple point, it was outside the box - this is a fact, not opinion, so it can be made and move on. I don't blame the referee for getting mistake, but it was one.

Liverpool's offside effort was offside, only just but offside all the same.

What frustrates me is that Sky gloss over (and BBC ignore entirely) the former whilst pouring all over the latter claiming that because it was only just offside the Lino should have allowed it.

Granted, what's more interesting to discuss is how we played, but these points still need to be made when considering context. People get caught up in headlines, and instead of "Liverpool get unwarranted penalty" it's all "Liverpool get harsh offside decision". Instead of "Janssen denied penalty" it's "Liverpool denied penalty" - when again it was clear that the tussle happened entirely before the corner was taken.

That's why people take issue with it, that's why we discuss incidents like is, because the media we follow are so biased towards Liverpool and don't give a fair comment.
Absolutely. MOTD was all about showing the Vertonghen pull, despite that happening at every corner in every game in all divisions of the land, and the ball not being in play, which means it couldn't be a penalty. They didn't even analyse the penalty...and they didn't even show the Janssen one which was far more of a pen than the one they got given.

Let's see what happens to Aguero.
I noticed pundits were saying it would be a shame as you don't want to see a player like Aguero get banned and there has not been so much of a sky/media video replay fest.
No baying for the blood for him to miss important matches.
It's not like Aguero is it. He's not that type of player.
Augero now could escape the ban because the ref saw it and chose to take no action the media are saying.
The headlines are 'Will Aguero be banned', 'should Aguero be banned' 'slaven may have saved Aguero from ban', 'Why City are hopeful Aguero will escape ban'

Yet last year live on MNF Sky and Carragher said the official saw it and bottled it. Chose to take no action.
"It is shocking. The man he is up against, Costa, how many times has he been seen doing things like this? That's the end of Dembele's season, there is no doubt about that."
On Beck the assistant: "He can't not have seen that,"
"There is no doubt Mark Clattenburg has been lenient and I don't mind officials being lenient in big games. But incidents like that, the linesman is looking straight at it and he froze and has bottled his decision.

So, basically the same as Agureo Mariner has seen it but bottled it but now most are hopeful Mariner will say he saw it and Sergio will not suffer retrospective action.

For the record I don't believe any of this is a conspiracy or conscious attempt to keep us down/Liverpool up, I think it's just an unconscious bias that is inevitable when so much of the media had a Liverpool FC upbringing. That's what should be avoided.

Putting Caragher & Souness in the studio box with Alan Smith on commentary, whose decision was that? How can we ever expect fair & balanced analysis when they're the ones asked for it? Why can't we have Hazard & Jenas as pundits with Duncan Ferguson co-commentating?

Let's see what happens to Aguero.
I noticed pundits were saying it would be a shame as you don't want to see a player like Aguero get banned and there has not been so much of a sky/media video replay fest.
No baying for the blood for him to miss important matches.
It's not like Aguero is it. He's not that type of player.
Augero now could escape the ban because the ref saw it and chose to take no action the media are saying.
The headlines are 'Will Aguero be banned', 'should Aguero be banned' 'slaven may have saved Aguero from ban', 'Why City are hopeful Aguero will escape ban'

Yet last year live on MNF Sky and Carragher said the official saw it and bottled it. Chose to take no action.
"It is shocking. The man he is up against, Costa, how many times has he been seen doing things like this? That's the end of Dembele's season, there is no doubt about that."
On Beck the assistant: "He can't not have seen that,"
"There is no doubt Mark Clattenburg has been lenient and I don't mind officials being lenient in big games. But incidents like that, the linesman is looking straight at it and he froze and has bottled his decision.

So, basically the same as Agureo Mariner has seen it but bottled it but now most are hopeful Mariner will say he saw it and Sergio will not suffer retrospective action.

He is bang on. The ref did bottle it, Dembele should have been sent off. I actually think he should have had at least a ten match ban. He is lucky he was not arrested. In rugby people get banned for 2 years for the shit he did. Very lucky man Dembele.
The Aguero incident is slightly different. He should have been sent off and maybe even have a 2-3 match ban but elbowing will always be there as players need to use their elbows to move. Eye gouging is disgusting and cowardly. Let's not get bitchy about the situation.
Plus he didn't actually touch the other guy ;)

Putting Caragher & Souness in the studio box with Alan Smith on commentary, whose decision was that? How can we ever expect fair & balanced analysis when they're the ones asked for it? Why can't we have Hazard & Jenas as pundits with Duncan Ferguson co-commentating?
I've got it.

Give Fox News the broadcasting rights. Their tag line is Fair and Balanced, after all.

Get off your 'big club' high horse bullshit, we haven't won't the title in 55 years.
Unlike you I feel no need to wrap myself in the deeds of those 6 decades ago. Whilst I can acknowledge our history, I doubt players are thinking let's join spurs because they did the league double 60 years ago.
Our wage structure simply cannot accommodate an establish world class player, sure we are more attractive than a raft of others, but by definition world class players can go anywhere and we have yet to crack that elite inner circle.
We may and I hope we do, but for now, log out of FM and stop being a whiny cunt.

Woolwich haven't won the title in a dozen years but they can still attract World class players? From a negative spend transfer policy you would have thought we could have afforded one fucking World class player. That's not asking too much from Levy now is it?

A draw was a fair result? Lamela was very good? They shouldnt have had a pen? Don't know what game you watched but it doesnt seem to be yesterdays one.

I've watched it twice

I thought we should have won

Lamela was good

They shouldn't have had a pen

Thy shd have finished with 10 men

Klopp is a total cunt

Souness talks out of his arse and doesn't understand the offside rule

Sky are biased against us

As I said just after the final whistle the melting on here is fucking ridiculous

We will annihilate Stoke who will have three pens given against them each after corners and then go on a 12 match unbeaten run

We will qualify for the CL

Onomah will come good but I enjoyed his cameo with one excellent run which showed potential although I agree he needs to bulk up like Lamela

I'm happy with our start!

Klopp is a cunt

Woolwich haven't won the title in a dozen years but they can still attract World class players? From a negative spend transfer policy you would have thought we could have afforded one fucking World class player. That's not asking too much from Levy now is it?

It's not about affording one player, it's about the message it sends to the squad.
Woolwich only recently (post paying off their stadium) started buying the likes of Ozil and Sanchez.
I think in the current TV money climate we will be able to buy and hold onto players which Woolwich may not have, but I don't see us buying a absolute worldie anytime soon.
Just my two cents.

to add to the discussion, i think the whole action for the penalty was stupid from Lamela. His positioning, his body control and esp the way he tracked back were all stupid but due to the fact that he isnt a defender and is sometimes too hungry to make up for his mistakes. An admirable quality but not around the penalty box ...

to add to the discussion, i think the whole action for the penalty was stupid from Lamela. His positioning, his body control and esp the way he tracked back were all stupid but due to the fact that he isnt a defender and is sometimes too hungry to make up for his mistakes. An admirable quality but not around the penalty box ...
Should have just let him go really. Should have let the right back deal with it. If your going to lay the blame solely at Lamela's door.
Dier, Vertonghen & Rose were at fault. One vertonghen and Rose were not in line with the best of the back 4 and played ( i think coutinho onside) The Cb's were too narrow and Toby & therefore Dier could have been further right, Dier was definitely not in position and let coutnihno ghost in behind him.
The ball was meant for coutnihno and we should have been in a line and caught him offside. The pass was telegraphed and they could have all just stepped up.
As it was it one ran Coutinho and Firmino got it. Lamela never challenged him to be fair as Dier was covering. It was just unlucky and coutnihno did the wizard of Oz click you heels 'there's no spot like the penalty spot' trick.

Sky, who fund the Premier League and support Woolwich, are against Tottenham. They know they have to get the corrupt referees to keep Spurs down as last season Spurs came very close to winning it. The media are also hostile, inc. BBC, but all Tottenham supporters must stop making excuses for the clear bias Spurs have had over several seasons. Already, a shockingly bad penalty (at home) and the ref continued to blatantly favour Liverpool while Sky's duo of haters Martin Tyler and gooner Alan Smith ignored the bias, because they are biased.

Sky appointing Smith to do every Tottenham game is disgusting and they know it, unlike BT who are fair and have Hoddle and others in the commentary or studio when they show us.

But I worry when Pochettino never complains about the cheating; he did when he was at a little club (Southampton) but says nothing now. Bad refs like Madley will continue to be like that while the manager never complains, even in his broken English.

Where is his passion!!??

Sky, who fund the Premier League and support Woolwich, are against Tottenham. They know they have to get the corrupt referees to keep Spurs down as last season Spurs came very close to winning it. The media are also hostile, inc. BBC, but all Tottenham supporters must stop making excuses for the clear bias Spurs have had over several seasons. Already, a shockingly bad penalty (at home) and the ref continued to blatantly favour Liverpool while Sky's duo of haters Martin Tyler and gooner Alan Smith ignored the bias, because they are biased.

Sky appointing Smith to do every Tottenham game is disgusting and they know it, unlike BT who are fair and have Hoddle and others in the commentary or studio when they show us.

But I worry when Pochettino never complains about the cheating; he did when he was at a little club (Southampton) but says nothing now. Bad refs like Madley will continue to be like that while the manager never complains, even in his broken English.

Where is his passion!!??

im-not-saying-its-a-conspiracy-its-aliens-thumb.jpg.4aae78307b74ba9954a4835d416bac77.jpg

Where is his passion!!??
shhhh.jpg
People may be listening?

Back
Top Bottom