Tottenham Hotspur v Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am sorry but there are too many people hiding behind too many if's and maybe's.

The simple facts are Spurs are 7th & have totally bollocked up the season thus far. Despite a massive resource on offer.

Europe. Farcical.

League Cup. Favorable ties, scrape job in semi final ( awful on reflection ) and a bitch slap at Wembley.

FA Cup. Leicester Fucking City @ Home

League. Lost to WBA, Newcastle & Stoke AT HOME ! Failed to take more than a point v Palace. Lucky away wins. 1 proper striker, 1 point out of 15 from games v top 5 away.... Progress ? What progress ?

Im not sure what you are trying to achieve by stating facts that are negative towards the club?
Shame on you. Beat up the states and they will tell you anything?

Good post Lee. As you say 'progress, what progress?'

Of course there has been some progress, the emergence of Kane in particular. But let's not forget who first gave Kane a proper chance, yep Sherwood. The man who took us to 6th and got roundly abused for it, often in the most appallingly unfair manner.

Poch has done very well with regard to injuries and many other things. so I'm not saying, and NEVER have said 'Poch out', (I've noticed some blatant lies about what I've said on various threads). It's just that I try to be even-handed in praise and blame, unlike some/many with Sherwood.

Supporting such negativity (above) is shameful. and...using Sherwood to support the negativity is wrong. He took over an established team at the end of a season. You can not use him as an example to compare against anyone? Most coaches taking charge would have achieve a similar finish to the season.

For me we've got such an option in Stambouli, and I don't understand why he is so often ignored.

He is not favoured above the two we have in the mid-end off. We could all waffle on about players who should and shouldn't play, It irrelevant because its in hind sight. The Chaves/City/Scum/Utd have all had very bad days this season, because it happens. Football is a funny old game.

We, as supporters should always look for the positives because thats all you have.Yes we have shown poor form lately and yes we have exposed our soft underbelly- But we are moving forward and have shown some outstanding levels of football against the best.

The way the team is set out is excellent, we just need more players to execute the plan? At the moment the team is playing very well for what we have available. some players will improve we just need to wait and see others will move on. Koch will get it better next year I'm sure.

Don't, whatever you do, listen to 'My Sister' Tindersticks. Promise?
I couldn't help my self. Went to my local shop and they wouldn't sell me more than two packs of paracetamol so i just have to get on with life?
So I have snapped out of the temp depression and am fighting fit and up to contest any negativity on here.

Top 4 finish, Utd and Southampton will drop. Liverpool lose against the Scum and pressure will get them losing games.

COYS.

I couldn't help my self. Went to my local shop and they wouldn't sell me more than two packs of paracetamol so i just have to get on with life?
So I have snapped out of the temp depression and am fighting fit and up to contest any negativity on here.

Top 4 finish, Utd and Southampton will drop. Liverpool lose against the Scum and pressure will get them losing games.

COYS.
That's the spirit Mr S. More power to you.

A United fan who is an ex pro himself said to me before the game - "You'll just stick Dembele on Felaini as always, he's got the strength match him but his feet are quicker so he just walks off with the ball every time."

Yeah I think Dembele should've played as well. Fazio to take him at set pieces and for long balls when he was pushing onto the back line and Dembele to win and retain the ball away from him and Carrick. Was pretty obvious before the game as well as afterwards.

vlad1001 If that's you Chiriches, it's nothing personal, I'm sure you're a nice person, and I apologise for the drunkenness comment.
:adebaehug:

I'm no Chiriches but I may be Vlad though that's another story...
Chiriches has just his second season at Tottenham, played well his first season then three managers later he was put to play alongside Kaboul then exiled to play the odd match as RB - not his natural position on the pitch. I can agree he cannot be stellar under the circumstances but calling him a "walking nightmare" while Dier conceding by his direct actions 3 goals in the Man U game you call "sobre during matches"... well, I prefer a drunken Chiriches..

Chiriches has just his second season at Tottenham, played well his first season then three managers later he was put to play alongside Kaboul then exiled to play the odd match as RB - not his natural position on the pitch. I can agree he cannot be stellar under the circumstances but calling him a "walking nightmare" while Dier conceding by his direct actions 3 goals in the Man U game you call "sobre during matches"... well, I prefer a drunken Chiriches..
Someone said on another thread something about how he can look quality one moment with his reading of the game, but then make a terrible mistake the next; I think this is true. He obviously has something going for him as a footballer to make it this far, but due to his mistakes I wouldn't have him anywhere near the first team. IMO you can't have a defender who tries to dribble the ball out and loses it, or passes the ball around the back four and gives it away. He sometimes does this multiple times in one game and it's a miracle his actions didn't give away more goals.

I see your point that maybe Dier is dodgy in a different way. I see Dier as a (relatively) solid but unspectacular English style centre back, yes he'll make mistakes but they are less overt and therefore IMO less likely to make the rest of the team nervous. In that way I think Chiriches, though not without talent, is a liability in the team, a bit like how Atouba used to be or Luiz (at his worst) was for Chelsea when playing at the back...or how Gomes was in goal for us. Gomes used to make some great saves but he gave away so many goals from silly errors, you can have erratic players like that up front but not in defence. True that Chiriches has been playing out of position but I actually preferred him at right back as he could do less damage there and did OK going forward.

Some people call Vlad's mistakes brainfarts but IMO Vlad's mistakes come because he dares (to do) so he takes chances... and sometimes that backfires...
As opposed to Dier who tries to play the safe thing but when he is really tested... we have seen what happened (still, he is young and maybe he will come good) .
It's a difficult time for Vlad, every transfer period he's put on the transfer list then sidelined or used as a substitute. But he's done his job no matter what role he was told to play.. I'm sad that his best qualities are not put to work and I hope Poch is going to see that Vlad's best role is as "attacking" CB, but I know that it's just me dreaming, his plan A is otherwise and his plan B ... well, waits for the plan A to work better.

Some people call Vlad's mistakes brainfarts but IMO Vlad's mistakes come because he dares (to do) so he takes chances... and sometimes that backfires...
As opposed to Dier who tries to play the safe thing but when he is really tested... we have seen what happened (still, he is young and maybe he will come good) .
It's a difficult time for Vlad, every transfer period he's put on the transfer list then sidelined or used as a substitute. But he's done his job no matter what role he was told to play.. I'm sad that his best qualities are not put to work and I hope Poch is going to see that Vlad's best role is as "attacking" CB, but I know that it's just me dreaming, his plan A is otherwise and his plan B ... well, waits for the plan A to work better.
you his brother or something?

Please watch this then tell me that you stand by what you said.

You can make a youtube compilation out of just about every professional footballer and make them look good. The problem with Chiriches isn't his tackling or marking. It's his concentration - or lack of. He makes plenty of great last ditch tackles and can mark a striker out of game for 90 minutes as we saw at Old Trafford last year. However every single time he starts at CB he gets caught out trying to rush forward, misplaces passes at the edge of the box or dribbles into trouble.

He's a front foot defender, I get that. However when you makes as many mistakes as he does you're just not fit to play at CB in the Premier League. Perhaps in another league where the instant pressure isn't as demanding, but it's obvious to anyone that he gets caught out way too much both on and off the ball.

One of the worst might've been harsh, but he's the one CB I'd rather never started for us. I'd much rather have Kaboul in there for example. He's horrible aswell, but generally doesn't invite pressure with foolish tricks, lose marking and bursts into midfield.

I get that you're a big fan of him and I can certainly understan why. He's a brave player and seems like a decent person, but I would rather not have someone who invites pressure playing at CB.

You can make a youtube compilation out of just about every professional footballer and make them look good. The problem with Chiriches isn't his tackling or marking. It's his concentration - or lack of. He makes plenty of great last ditch tackles and can mark a striker out of game for 90 minutes as we saw at Old Trafford last year. However every single time he starts at CB he gets caught out trying to rush forward, misplaces passes at the edge of the box or dribbles into trouble.

He's a front foot defender, I get that. However when you makes as many mistakes as he does you're just not fit to play at CB in the Premier League. Perhaps in another league where the instant pressure isn't as demanding, but it's obvious to anyone that he gets caught out way too much both on and off the ball.

One of the worst might've been harsh, but he's the one CB I'd rather never started for us. I'd much rather have Kaboul in there for example. He's horrible aswell, but generally doesn't invite pressure with foolish tricks, lose marking and bursts into midfield.

I get that you're a big fan of him and I can certainly understan why. He's a brave player and seems like a decent person, but I would rather not have someone who invites pressure playing at CB.
..................also a CB that can't head the ball ain't a CB.

absolute - total and utter BS.
1st goal Mason abandoned marking Fellaini to tackle the player that fed him, leaving Dier no chance whatsoever of making the gap
2nd Goal Townsend with time lobs out a lazy clearance straight to carrick who probably thought all his birthdays had come at once - nothing, but nothing Dier could have done
3rd goal Bentaleb feeds Rooney and offers him a free run at the defence - yep, Rooney Beat Dier and made him look tame, Dier was probably totally shocked at the pass Bentaleb gave away, but should have done better

All 3 - I think not, unless its your agenda to make him out to be poorer than your man.

absolute - total and utter BS.
1st goal Mason abandoned marking Fellaini to tackle the player that fed him, leaving Dier no chance whatsoever of making the gap
2nd Goal Townsend with time lobs out a lazy clearance straight to carrick who probably thought all his birthdays had come at once - nothing, but nothing Dier could have done
3rd goal Bentaleb feeds Rooney and offers him a free run at the defence - yep, Rooney Beat Dier and made him look tame, Dier was probably totally shocked at the pass Bentaleb gave away, but should have done better

All 3 - I think not, unless its your agenda to make him out to be poorer than your man.
Bit late...

Back
Top Bottom