Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss the latest matches, our players and any transfer news surrounding Spurs. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts. You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

I thought Eriksen and Sissoko - and we as a team - defended that right side poorly, numerous times letting them get past men or get balls I to the box.
To me, it seemed a typical 10 man defensive display,, stay tight, pack the central areas at the (slight expense of wide areas.

Are there any stats on how many crosses came from their right compared to their left ?
It looked fairly even to me on the amount of crosses coming in from either side
Especially when you take into account that Sissoko isn't a natural RB

Register to remove

To me, it seemed a typical 10 man defensive display,, stay tight, pack the central areas at the (slight expense of wide areas.

Are there any stats on how many crosses came from their right compared to their left ?
It looked fairly even to me on the amount of crosses coming in from either side
Especially when you take into account that Sissoko isn't a natural RB
We didn't stay very tight though, we allowed lots of ball into our box, and much more came down our right:

Here's the heat map:

Here's the chalkboard:

We didn't stay very tight though, we allowed lots of ball into our box, and much more came down our right:

Here's the heat map:

Here's the chalkboard:

On crosses, excluding corners there were 3 more from their left, I think. 10 against 7 ? (might of missed 1 or 2 from either side)

On the other hand their were more corners from the left which implies that we defended better on that side.

All that shows to me is that they attacked that side more, not that we were poorer on that side.

On crosses, excluding corners there were 3 more from their left, I think. 10 against 7 ? (might of missed 1 or 2 from either side)

On the other hand their were more corners from the left which implies that we defended better on that side.

All that shows to me is that they attacked that side more, not that we were poorer on that side.
What that shows is that a) we didn't "stay tight" b) we allowed 24 crosses into our box c) 7 came from our actual right side, inside the 18 yard line, in open play, only 2 from the other side, inside that 18 yard line in open play.

I'm not just blaming Sissoko here, but he was fuckinh lax at closing down - as ever - even the pundits picked up on it on my stream, saying he looked bewildered at times, not knowing where to be - but Eriksen's closing down wasn't good at times either, and generally as a team we just did not get "tight" or keep a tight collective shape, or closed and pressed to stop them getting into positions to put balls into the box.

Southampton were just fucking inept in the box- which is pretty much dogged them for the last 2 years, because they don't play bad football and they do create positions to create chances from in games.

Register to remove

chubbs

Self arseholating
Phew - that was a relief. Luckily Hugo was in tip-top goal-saving form. Be in no doubt, we were NOT GOOD yesterday. We gave the ball away throughout the entire game, making life unnecessarily hard for ourselves. Whatever has happened to the mean Spurs of 2 seasons ago?

Having said that, I thought Danny Rose was IMMENSE in DEFENCE, although he doesn't get forward like he used to. Winks was excellent throughout and Harry seems to be regaining the fire in his belly.

The referee was rightly booed off at half time and booed back on again after the break. I offered him my glasses, but foolishly he ignored me.

Some are saying that a 10-man victory is some kind of a turning point in our season. I flippin' hope so!

Anyway, it feels good to get a win again and to be in 3rd, albeit temporarily.

Phew - that was a relief. Luckily Hugo was in tip-top goal-saving form. Be in no doubt, we were NOT GOOD yesterday. We gave the ball away throughout the entire game, making life unnecessarily hard for ourselves. Whatever has happened to the mean Spurs of 2 seasons ago?

Having said that, I thought Danny Rose was IMMENSE in DEFENCE, although he doesn't get forward like he used to. Winks was excellent throughout and Harry seems to be regaining the fire in his belly.

The referee was rightly booed off at half time and booed back on again after the break. I offered him my glasses, but foolishly he ignored me.

Some are saying that a 10-man victory is some kind of a turning point in our season. I flippin' hope so!

Anyway, it feels good to get a win again and to be in 3rd, albeit temporarily.
"Phew" is spot on.

Now ,that I have been resuscitated, I wish to apologise to Hugo for cursing him, his father, mother and grandparents at the 43rd min, only to be calling him my hero not long after. Gutsy 3 points...

Blanchflower

Supporter
Anyone thinking we 'played badly' with 10 men - I suggest you look at historic stats for results where teams have played for more than 60 mins with a man sent off.

Probability of a win drops to pretty much zero.

What that shows is that a) we didn't "stay tight" b) we allowed 24 crosses into our box c) 7 came from our actual right side, inside the 18 yard line, in open play, only 2 from the other side, inside that 18 yard line in open play.

I'm not just blaming Sissoko here, but he was fuckinh lax at closing down - as ever - even the pundits picked up on it on my stream, saying he looked bewildered at times, not knowing where to be - but Eriksen's closing down wasn't good at times either, and generally as a team we just did not get "tight" or keep a tight collective shape, or closed and pressed to stop them getting into positions to put balls into the box.

Southampton were just fucking inept in the box- which is pretty much dogged them for the last 2 years, because they don't play bad football and they do create positions to create chances from in games.
I thought Sissoko did well - don’t remember him being beat and generally held a good position for a non RB. Compare him to Sanchez against Arse and you’ll see how well he did.

Where I disagree with your comments and stats is that we were pretty comfortable in open play.

They had 3 moments in the second half - the header from corner, the free kick and the cross from their right which Ings just missed.

No real danger from our right.

Allowing crosses in from the flanks - especially deep - seemed to be an acceptable situation for us as we dominated in the air. They have a short attack so any cross in we were big favourites.

Saints were pretty poor on the ball, Romeo is pretty limited so no danger there, and also they constantly had 4-5 players behind the ball despite us only having Harry in an advanced position..... they really didn’t commit enough bodies to put us under pressure.

Great effort from the boys - the perfect game to showcase fight and togetherness after the week we had.

:pochohshit:

chubbs

Self arseholating
Anyone thinking we 'played badly' with 10 men - I suggest you look at historic stats for results where teams have played for more than 60 mins with a man sent off.

Probability of a win drops to pretty much zero.
...but don't forget we gifted them the ball for the entire game, not just after Aurier had been given his marching orders. Overall we worked very hard, but our passing left a lot to be desired, making a difficult game even more of a challenge.

chubbs

Self arseholating
I thought Sissoko did well - don’t remember him being beat and generally held a good position for a non RB. Compare him to Sanchez against Arse and you’ll see how well he did.

Where I disagree with your comments and stats is that we were pretty comfortable in open play.

They had 3 moments in the second half - the header from corner, the free kick and the cross from their right which Ings just missed.

No real danger from our right.

Allowing crosses in from the flanks - especially deep - seemed to be an acceptable situation for us as we dominated in the air. They have a short attack so any cross in we were big favourites.

Saints were pretty poor on the ball, Romeo is pretty limited so no danger there, and also they constantly had 4-5 players behind the ball despite us only having Harry in an advanced position..... they really didn’t commit enough bodies to put us under pressure.

Great effort from the boys - the perfect game to showcase fight and togetherness after the week we had.

:pochohshit:
Yes - Sissoko had a good game. He really stepped up to the plate after Aurier's dismissal.

Blanchflower

Supporter
...but don't forget we gifted them the ball for the entire game, not just after Aurier had been given his marching orders. Overall we worked very hard, but our passing left a lot to be desired, making a difficult game even more of a challenge.

Southampton are right up there in the chart of 'winning ball back in opposition half' - no surprise that their main tactical focus worked well against us when it does against everyone else as well.

Last edited:

Register to remove

Top Bottom