Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I stormed out for two neck oils when Hugo did his Strictly cunt dancing routine. Was sulking when Kane scored. Seen the goals now.

Never ever want to see any of that game ever ever ever again.

Well done, took balls to see that out, move on.

I love Lucas, but I’m not sure he can play that right sided position. He ends up treading on Harry’s toes.

Think he might be more suited to a front two.

When played alongside him in a poxy diamond maybe, but we've barely played that front 3 since he arrived.

If it doesn't work (which I doubt, myself); coach them. We're screaming out for it....

Like not getting reds 30 minutes in and Lloris kicking the ball into his own net?

We had a slow first 10 minutes but were starting to look the better side when Ndombele scored. I don’t think there’s much to take away from this besides the result and the resilience the team showed.

If we'd have kept 11 on the pitch we'd have murdered them (but probably learned a hell of a lot less)...

What's this common obsession with a 'wonky' front 3? I just don't get it.....

Lucas / Kane / Son is SUCH a no-brainer to me....
Well it depends on what we want from Kane. If we want Kane to be the primary goal scorer, he needs players with different skill sets . Son and Lucas are much more direct goal scorers then Dele, Lo Celso, Lamela, so it’s a bit redundant. In 2016/17 we had Wanyama-Dembele with Dele, Eriksen and Kane up top. Very complementary skills in the spine with a good balance.

To use an example, Liverpool’s front 3 works because Firmino is there to setup Salah and Mane. He’s clearly the third goal scoring option but creates a ton of assists and chances for the wingers. If we want Kane to be more of a 10, then Son and Lucas make a lot of sense next to him, and I think this may make sense for Kane later in his career, especially if Parrott reaches his potential. But I’m not sure we want to do that now when Kane is an absolute elite goal scorer.

Really impressed with Tanguy today, shout out to Winks, Son, and Kane. I feel after watching todays match Tanguy is really on the cusp of grabbing this league by the balls, it may take until Christmas / New Year, but he seems to be getting up to speed now.

Don't really know what to make of Eriksens performance - the issue is he has always had a sort of languid playing style and has always been a bit of a robot emotionally. These features were reasonably accepted so long as he was playing well and seemed committed to the club, but now that the cat is out of the bag with him wanting out, the fans are going to be getting right on his ass every match. We do actually need him to be playing well at least until January and/or Lo Celso's return, seems clear he won't be signing a new contract, tough situation but I do suspect he is going to be getting it in the neck on a regular basis at home. He had a mixed/poor game today, provided an assist but everything else was pretty bad. The sooner Lo Celso gets back to full fitness the better.

Oh yeah Rose also had a good match.

In Poch I trust.

Last edited:
The extra man gave them an expected advantage.

Would have been surprised if they didn't have the extra chances they made.

From my point of view, we looked far more harmonious than I have seen in a long time.

Was difficult to recover when we broke and our shape fractured, but all in all I'm very pleased with that aspect, after we went a man down.

It actually forced Poch towards simplicity instead of the tactical noise he started with.

Sorry TT, I’m not getting your point. You accept they extra chances because they had an extra man, so where’s the great tactical defensive gain? The expected outcome materialised.

It’s ok to say “we dug in, rode our luck a bit” but I just don’t agree that there was some great tactical masterstroke at play here. I thought Eriksen and Sissoko - and we as a team - defended that right side poorly, numerous times letting them get past men or get balls I to the box.

That they didn’t capitalise had as much to do with their ineptitude and a bit of rub than our great defensive cohesion.

Great, we dug in like any team who goes down to ten men, and got the result. There’s no great tactical take away from that game though - lets not pretend there is, we’ve not learnt anything significant to take forward, against better sides when we have allowed them that much opportunity we’ve come unstuck. We’ve played 4 across the middle before recently. Pretty sure we did it against Arse at one point.

Well it depends on what we want from Kane. If we want Kane to be the primary goal scorer, he needs players with different skill sets . Son and Lucas are much more direct goal scorers then Dele, Lo Celso, Lamela, so it’s a bit redundant. In 2016/17 we had Wanyama-Dembele with Dele, Eriksen and Kane up top. Very complementary skills in the spine with a good balance.

To use an example, Liverpool’s front 3 works because Firmino is there to setup Salah and Mane. He’s clearly the third goal scoring option but creates a ton of assists and chances for the wingers. If we want Kane to be more of a 10, then Son and Lucas make a lot of sense next to him, and I think this may make sense for Kane later in his career, especially if Parrott reaches his potential. But I’m not sure we want to do that now when Kane is an absolute elite goal scorer.

I think if we're aggressive enough it can work like a dream; especially if Ndombele & Lo Celso can provide the bullets either side of a proper DM. With 2 quick players runing beyond, we'd naturally make a little more of Harry's creative ability too... Plus, he'd still be there to hold the ball up without being called upon to lead our press... Win/win.

Would take a little attacking impetus off of our FBs too with what is essentially 5 forward thinking players in the front end.

If facing a parked bus, you could always sub the likes of Dele, Lamela, Parrot & Eriksen in to mix it up a bit or sub in Winks & Sissoko into MF to strengthen up if defending a lead and looking to counter.

Sorry TT, I’m not getting your point. You accept they extra chances because they had an extra man, so where’s the great tactical defensive gain? The expected outcome materialised.

It’s ok to say “we dug in, rode our luck a bit” but I just don’t agree that there was some great tactical masterstroke at play here. I thought Eriksen and Sissoko - and we as a team - defended that right side poorly, numerous times letting them get past men or get balls I to the box.

That they didn’t capitalise had as much to do with their ineptitude and a bit of rub than our great defensive cohesion.

Great, we dug in like any team who goes down to ten men, and got the result. There’s no great tactical take away from that game though - lets not pretend there is, we’ve not learnt anything significant to take forward, against better sides when we have allowed them that much opportunity we’ve come unstuck. We’ve played 4 across the middle before recently. Pretty sure we did it against Arse at one point.

There was no tactics.

We were getting fucking battered and he just took off an AM for and AM and a CM for a CM.

There was no answer for having ten men. He’s played Sissoko RB before, there was nothing he did to deal with them.

The players just dig deep.

Dier/Sissoko next to Ndombele with Dele/Lo Celso/Lamela next to Son/Lucas and Kane up top with Sessegnon /KWP as wingbacks works for me.

Yeah what I hope to see would spread the play like we used to and cover for any defense issues we have with Dier if he can stay fit. A true DM and a RB have to be bought in January though

You had your blood pressure checked recently mate? I say this sincerley because you let what others post wind you up far too much.

Instead of commenting on other posters as people and flinging insults which just devalue your point, comment on the match instead, do you really care what other people think deep down inside? Or are you just happy we have turned a corner? If you have a problem with what bus-conductor bus-conductor said then criticise his points, not him as a person, or you know, do what you want as you always seem to do.

I am thrilled we actually managed to win a game, especially with 10 men and our current form, the commitment on show was excellent, not pretending like it was perfect, far from it, tactically we were very flawed and we need massive improvements going forward still but the most important thing for me is the players are still playing for the manager which was my biggest concern before today.

I think bus-conductor bus-conductor makes some good points about us at the back, we really do need to improve but I also agree with you when you say that the commitment was excellent with 10 men especially with the form we have been in.
Must be the Thai way!

Yeah what I hope to see would spread the play like we used to and cover for any defense issues we have with Dier if he can stay fit. A true DM and a RB have to be bought in January though
Well hopefully we will know by then if Foyth or KWP can cut it, but I think KWP is very good going forward and would do well at wingback.

Back
Top Bottom