Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So 10/10 for Aurier ignoring the earning of being given a warning yellow card and showing his lack of brain power by purposely doing a 2nd yellow card offence in full view of the referee. Asking the ref to make s decision made the red card inevitable

So Redmond didn't get Aurier sent off, Auriers stupidity did
Maybe he had a tenner with Paddy Power on getting sent off during the game!!

Aurier pulled at Redmond's shorts, which is technically a yellow card offence, given as a yellow card in the majority of cases.

Reason why Aurier was sent off was that he did that 3 minutes after a likely red card offence was given as a yellow card.

So 10/10 for Aurier ignoring the earning of being given a warning yellow card and showing his lack of brain power by purposely doing a 2nd yellow card offence in full view of the referee. Asking the ref to make s decision made the red card inevitable

So Redmond didn't get Aurier sent off, Auriers stupidity did

All true - except it was Bertrand....

:roseunsure:

Tell yourself what you want Stevee. Ignore the facts/stats, ignore the fact that we’ve constantly coughed up games for the last few months through sloppy defending to the point where even Poch is saying we need to eradicate it.

If you want to think that we defended our right side well yesterday, knock yourself out.
I'm not ignoring anything.
Only saying that stats can be interpreted in different ways.

I'm not ignoring anything.
Only saying that stats can be interpreted in different ways.

Sometimes they just tell a very simple story though. We let a lot of ball into our box, particularly down the right. I watched it happen, the stats just confirm that.

And it's a weakness of this team generally, the amount of crosses and shots we've allowed in other games. 32 crosses/30 shots v City, 25/26 v Arse, 17/16 v Olympiacos, 20/16 v Leicester.

We have got to tighten up. Individually and collectively we have to start being better defensively.

Agree, but I wouldn't judge yesterday on that . As I said it was a typical 10 man defensive performance, tight in the middle at the expense of wide areas.

There was only 3 more crosses from the right over the left simply because we were attacked more down that side.

The stats you posted, whilst interesting, doesn't show the quality of defending.

On that criteria if a team attacked ONLY down the left, it wouldn't mean that the defenders on the opposite side defended better because they let zero crosses into the box.

IMO it is similar to the Trippier debate, if more attacks came down his side then it stands to reason the opposition would have more chances from there. It doesn't mean Trippier is/was shite very week.

Agree, but I wouldn't judge yesterday on that . As I said it was a typical 10 man defensive performance, tight in the middle at the expense of wide areas.

There was only 3 more crosses from the right over the left simply because we were attacked more down that side.

The stats you posted, whilst interesting, doesn't show the quality of defending.

On that criteria if a team attacked ONLY down the left, it wouldn't mean that the defenders on the opposite side defended better because they let zero crosses into the box.

IMO it is similar to the Trippier debate, if more attacks came down his side then it stands to reason the opposition would have more chances from there. It doesn't mean Trippier is/was shite very week.

They support the notion that we don't defend the flanks great. Southampton don't really have 10's that are going to cut you open through the centre, they have Boufal and Redmond who are wide attacking players. I watched Sissoko stand off way too much and allow players to jink right and cross, and him and Eriksen just weren't diligent enough.

I don't know why he didn't take Eriksen off when he put Dier on and shuffle Winks out right of the CM4.

But this isn't a unique issue, Sissoko, contrary to mythology, does not protect his RB well when playing RM, especially in the CM2, he doesn't read the game and he ambles about. Go and read what Five wrote in the ratings thread for the Leicester game.

They support the notion that we don't defend the flanks great. Southampton don't really have 10's that are going to cut you open through the centre, they have Boufal and Redmond who are wide attacking players. I watched Sissoko stand off way too much and allow players to jink right and cross, and him and Eriksen just weren't diligent enough.

I don't know why he didn't take Eriksen off when he put Dier on and shuffle Winks out right of the CM4.

But this isn't a unique issue, Sissoko, contrary to mythology, does not protect his RB well when playing RM, especially in the CM2, he doesn't read the game and he ambles about. Go and read what Five wrote in the ratings thread for the Leicester game.
i agree with this, although it is understandable as
A) Sissoko isn't aRB
and
B) Eriksen has never played with Sissoko as a RB and rarely on the right with whoever was RB

I was shouting for Moura to replace Eriksen because Eriksen looked knackered and laboured in defense and also to be able to use Moura's pace as an "out"

One thing that did occur to me watching the first half was how suited Son would be to playing that WLF in a proper 433, he was getting out wide to the touchline, then cutting in and drifting into that inside left channel onto his right, nearly set up Ndombele before he did set him for the first goal, but he just looks like a natural for that wide forward role, as opposed to being a wide AM in the 4231.

One thing that did occur to me watching the first half was how suited Son would be to playing that WLF in a proper 433, he was getting out wide to the touchline, then cutting in and drifting into that inside left channel onto his right, nearly set up Ndombele before he did set him for the first goal, but he just looks like a natural for that wide forward role, as opposed to being a wide AM in the 4231.
I would love to see a proper 4-3-3 played for a while.

Who would play the WRF though, I'm not sure as others (and me) have said Moura is a "head down" player and steps on Kane's toe's. Lamela also drifts in a lot.

i agree with this, although it is understandable as
A) Sissoko isn't aRB
and
B) Eriksen has never played with Sissoko as a RB and rarely on the right with whoever was RB

I was shouting for Moura to replace Eriksen because Eriksen looked knackered and laboured in defense and also to be able to use Moura's pace as an "out"

Sissoko isn't a RB, but he doesn't press properly when he's in midfield either, and Trippier suffered enormously from getting poor protection or having a CM who couldn't read the game on his side, especially in the high line, pushed up RB, bumbling forwards, or worse diamond with no wide forwards or AM's, set up Poch had us playing much of last year.

Trippier wasn't perfect, but Poch's tactics and application is always going to expose FB's, as we have now seen constantly this season (just as we did with Walker), Trippier going has seen our right side look even weaker, because it's actually fucking hard to be an attacker a midfielder and a defender - which is what Poch asked him to be - and at least he had a brain and could press as well as play a bit of football.

Poch needs to get to grips with this sharpish, we are starting to play some football again in midfield with the introduction of Ndombele to go along with Winks and Eriksen, and hopefully when Lo Celso's fit he'll be used as an 8 too, not an AM which will mean we could potentially have a midfield capable of playing football for the first time in a fucking long time, but he still needs to get us working cohesively as a group without the ball.

I would love to see a proper 4-3-3 played for a while.

Who would play the WRF though, I'm not sure as others (and me) have said Moura is a "head down" player and steps on Kane's toe's. Lamela also drifts in a lot.

Lamela would fit the bill best of our current lot, it's how he was playing for Roma and he has the attributes, would work hard, would create and he does score goals, season he played as WRF for Roma he scored 17.

Edit

And we've also got Sessegnon (who I keep forgetting about) who could play WRF or WLF

Erm, yes I was there. As I said, they had the ball and the territory, both of which we gave to them - but they did nothing with it.

Open play, Hugo didn’t have a save of note to make in second half.
A save of note in second half ? I take it you were in the toilet or getting a hot dog when Hugo made 3 world class saves then ?

Back
Top Bottom