Tottenham Hotspur v. Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a quick thought that popped into my head. Last two games we have scored 2 goals from 46 shots.

Is this bad luck or is there a flaw in our style? I do recall a few times now where we have dominated games yet I've had that feeling that we were going to need a bit of luck to get a goal.

I know it's a bit apples and pears, but in their last two games Barcelona had 30 shots and scored 12 goals. I make the comparison just as we are a team that can dominate possession and create lots of chances, but just seem to struggle to put them away.

(all stats from BBC)

A lot of our attacking players look off form, tbh, or missed easy chances.

Just a quick thought that popped into my head. Last two games we have scored 2 goals from 46 shots.

Is this bad luck or is there a flaw in our style? I do recall a few times now where we have dominated games yet I've had that feeling that we were going to need a bit of luck to get a goal.

I know it's a bit apples and pears, but in their last two games Barcelona had 30 shots and scored 12 goals. I make the comparison just as we are a team that can dominate possession and create lots of chances, but just seem to struggle to put them away.

(all stats from BBC)
A lot of the games go that way. I think most of the players are just shit at finishing (except Kane, of course).

EDIT: Also, a lot of shots are coming from outside of the box. It's the only thing that's stayed consistent through the Redknapp, AVB, Sherwood, and Pochettino years.

Just got back from London, and I can only say that I hope to go to games more often. It was great, even though it was not a goal festival as I was hoping for against this Sunderland side. And its not as expensive as I thought, but its still a bit sad to see some free seats here and there when I had to pay more then the FV for the tickets.

Anyway, it was a very strong performance, extremely dominant and it was interesting to see Poch mix up things in the starting eleven. But also have to say, Sunderland struggled to create anything offensively.

Lloris - dont know whats up with him, seems to be missing confidence and his distribution was terrible most of the time. He seems to get nervous if the opposition doesnt put pressure on him. It might be better to play Vorm against teams we will dominate and have Lloris in goal for the big games. Just a thought.

Walker - surely had better games, but he did well at the clearance. Failed to find the rythym with Sissoko, but Kyle is 100% Tottenham. Motivates the supporters and puts his head into his hands when playing a poor pass. Beast.

Dier - solid. Didnt have much to do alongside Alderweireld. His versatility is useful to have.

Alderweireld - best defender in the league. So important to our overall domination. Just an incredible player, but we already knew that.

Vertonghen - covered Son very well. He was the one who allowed him so much freedom. Strong in the air.

Wanyama - rotated the ball well, won a few tackles and broke up play. Good game from him.

Dembele - was great to see the Moose back in League. The team was always looking for him to get attacking, but he needs more match fitness. Hope he starts against Gillingham.

Son - absolutely fantastic. Our most direct player. Didnt have to work defensively too much thanks to Jan. Destroyed Denayer on the right side.

Alli - unlucky, didnt create much but Sunderland also didnt allow much space for him.

Sissoko - needs to adjust. Will be good for us, especially on larger pitches. Very strong at holding the ball up.

Kane - goal and injury. Not the best time to get injured, but he did need a rest.

Lamela - did great, his dribble into the box was nice to see.

Janssen - will score for us soon. Yes, he was egoisitic in the counter-attack, but he must show himself and also prove to be as good as Kane. Start against Gillingham.

Alot of positives from the game, from the pre-game training to the post-game. I was a bit disappointed by the singing at the Lane, I hoped there would be more people chanting, it never seemed to get going. Maybe also down to nervosity.

What I didnt like was the fans criticising the players. Some of the stuff was so harsh on specific players... dont unsderstand why people have to scream "he is the next Soldado!" at Janssen for showing a bit of confidence.

PS: Always been told the English people dont like it if tourists speak to them. Well that rumour is bullshit - literally everybody I have talked to was nice to us. :adethumbup:

I saw the Everton game and in my opinion Alderweireld was head and shoulders the best player on the park. Just class.

So much so I can see one of the big Spanish sides fancying him. Good job our strategic partners can't buy players for a few windows.....

I saw the Everton game and in my opinion Alderweireld was head and shoulders the best player on the park. Just class.

So much so I can see one of the big Spanish sides fancying him. Good job our strategic partners can't buy players for a few windows.....

The fact Atletico Madrid sold him is still hilarious to me. He improved immensely at Southampton and adapted to the more physical Premier League well.

The fact Atletico Madrid sold him is still hilarious to me. He improved immensely at Southampton and adapted to the more physical Premier League well.

Don't think his class was in any doubt. He fell out with Simeone, hence getting binned off by Atleti. Lesson is don't fall out with Argentinian managers as there is no way back. See also Pochettino and Bentaleb/Townsend, albeit those two aren't as good as Toby.

Back
Top Bottom