Tottenham Hotspur v. Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a quick thought that popped into my head. Last two games we have scored 2 goals from 46 shots.

Is this bad luck or is there a flaw in our style? I do recall a few times now where we have dominated games yet I've had that feeling that we were going to need a bit of luck to get a goal.

I know it's a bit apples and pears, but in their last two games Barcelona had 30 shots and scored 12 goals. I make the comparison just as we are a team that can dominate possession and create lots of chances, but just seem to struggle to put them away.

(all stats from BBC)

I had a talk with 3 geezers behind me after the Monaco game. My first words were that we should have taken our chances.
One of them replied it was the same old story.
It is a bit of a worry. Do Keepers have worldies with us or is it bad finishing? Why do we always seem to need 25 chances to score a goal?

It's not bad luck because it was happening last season.
We created more chances than anyone but converted very little of them. Whereas other teams, like LCFC for instance, converted more with less.
Don't get me wrong, if we were not creating them it would be more of a worry.
However, if you look at this chances to conversion table you'll see only Everton have had as many shots on goal as we have and look where we are.
Premier League - Conversion rate 16/17 | Transfermarkt

last season we wiped the floor with everyone and had 260 shots on goal, the next nearest to us was Woolwich with 232.
We scored 69 goals the most in the league.
Yet look at our conversion rate. It was the same as Newcastle's who had 100 less shots on goal.

Premier League - Conversion rate 15/16 | Transfermarkt

It's strange too because our players are all pretty good at finding the spot by the post, I don't really understand why we don't score more given how many chances we have.

I had a talk with 3 geezers behind me after the Monaco game. My first words were that we should have taken our chances.
One of them replied it was the same old story.
It is a bit of a worry. Do Keepers have worldies with us or is it bad finishing? Why do we always seem to need 25 chances to score a goal?

It's not bad luck because it was happening last season.
We created more chances than anyone but converted very little of them. Whereas other teams, like LCFC for instance, converted more with less.
Don't get me wrong, if we were not creating them it would be more of a worry.
However, if you look at this chances to conversion table you'll see only Everton have had as many shots on goal as we have and look where we are.
Premier League - Conversion rate 16/17 | Transfermarkt

last season we wiped the floor with everyone and had 260 shots on goal, the next nearest to us was Woolwich with 232.
We scored 69 goals the most in the league.
Yet look at our conversion rate. It was the same as Newcastle's who had 100 less shots on goal.

Premier League - Conversion rate 15/16 | Transfermarkt
I think a lot of those shots on goal from us have come from outside the box though, not so much what you'd call clear goalscoring opportunities. We've played a lot of sides who park the bus like Sunderland yesterday and the approach seems to be take on a shot when you get the chance.

It was good to see us making a few changes yesterday, playing well and getting the result. Shows that the squad depth is better now, we can cover injuries better and noone can rest on their laurels. Poch had a pretty serious look after Monaco I thought, then yesterday it was like - Lamela - mistake led to their goal - dropped. Jan - dodgy defending for their goal - moved to LB. Eriksen - flat performances for a while - dropped. Maybe this extra competition will some of our players up on their toes a bit more.

Off topic a bit, but I just went down to shops and had a bit of pie and mash.
I walked in and guess who was sitting there doing a photo shoot? Neil Ruddock the model.
It was for some oversize clothes company called bad rhino. Must be skint.
My god he's fat.
Anyway, some local Woolwich geezer asked him about Viera incident when he was at Spam and he said that Viera came in and apologised to him after.
He also said 'I'd rather he give me a clump than that'
The owner and his boy are Spurs and there was another Yid in there.

Anyway, I didn't think he warranted any talking too, like them that were in there asking him spurs related footballing questions, I just ate up and fucked off.
On my way out I stood in the doorway and said 'Neil'
He looked around
'Show them your liverpool tattoo' I said, and walked off.

Just a quick thought that popped into my head. Last two games we have scored 2 goals from 46 shots.

Is this bad luck or is there a flaw in our style? I do recall a few times now where we have dominated games yet I've had that feeling that we were going to need a bit of luck to get a goal.

I know it's a bit apples and pears, but in their last two games Barcelona had 30 shots and scored 12 goals. I make the comparison just as we are a team that can dominate possession and create lots of chances, but just seem to struggle to put them away.

(all stats from BBC)
When looking at stats for shots and goals I wouldn't pay any attention to them as they are meaningless. Best stats to pay attention to are Expected Goals figures, as they attempted to weight the type of shot. It does mean being open to understand what they mean but over a season or two they are easily the most reliable stat to apply when looking at a teams attacking output.

This is a good example of XG and it's Spurs related too.
EPL projections and expected goals method: Spurs are good!

Yes I know-whats your point.

I feel we are able to get results when not playing too well-is it not a good sign of a good team?
I agree we are in a much better position than this time last year, some works been done and we will continue to improve! Just looking at the shot on goal ratio tells you that! We will get it right and really hammer someone soon!

Oh no, the stats are out.

Patience (give him a chance)-Its his first game, under a newish way of playing. I saw the same game as you and liked what I saw. There is room for improvement and things have to gel. Twice, when he took responsibility to break from the back, he was ruthlessly taken out-thats how dangerous the opponents will see him. IF he works for us, the way he plays-he will be excellent I have no doubt.

Nothing wrong with stats my friend...especially when they back up my point!

To be honest he got out of a couple of tight spots well and looked to break a couple of times and at least he didn't give it away (that I remember).

If we were playing him instead of Alli or Dembele then yeah I'd understand, he's a strong, ball-carrying, attack-minded midfielder (when he can be arsed) breaking through the middle. That can be fucking devastating. But stuck out on the right??? His crossing was shite (even the one that made the MOTD highlights was miss hit), passing was backwards and didnt look interested.

I do admit I dislike the woolich supporting, viera loving son of a bitch immensely and this may ... may .... be clouding my judgement a bit. I would love him to be the player from the euros but I just saw too much arseholery when he was at the Geordies to think he is any better than that.

Nothing wrong with stats my friend...especially when they back up my point!

To be honest he got out of a couple of tight spots well and looked to break a couple of times and at least he didn't give it away (that I remember).

If we were playing him instead of Alli or Dembele then yeah I'd understand, he's a strong, ball-carrying, attack-minded midfielder (when he can be arsed) breaking through the middle. That can be fucking devastating. But stuck out on the right??? His crossing was shite (even the one that made the MOTD highlights was miss hit), passing was backwards and didnt look interested.

I do admit I dislike the woolich supporting, viera loving son of a bitch immensely and this may ... may .... be clouding my judgement a bit. I would love him to be the player from the euros but I just saw too much arseholery when he was at the Geordies to think he is any better than that.
Dont like stats. Beat em up , they will tell you anything?

The manager for being so petty that he would shift both Jan and Eric out of their usual positions rather than just one of them and play Wimmer?

Also is Nkoudou on the naughty step already?

Nkoudou has had no pre-season I guess. I hope we'll see Wimmer back in action on Wednesday.

It's strange too because our players are all pretty good at finding the spot by the post, I don't really understand why we don't score more given how many chances we have.
I don't think we create good quality chances. How often do you see us create 100% chances? It took a massive mistake from a Sunderland defender for us to score yesterday

I don't think we create good quality chances. How often do you see us create 100% chances? It took a massive mistake from a Sunderland defender for us to score yesterday
That was my first thought after the match ended.... despite all of our possession, territory gained, total shots etc, it was a total clanger from a defender that gave us our goal. Their keeper played well, but didn't need to make any real 'worldies' to keep us out.

I walked in and guess who was sitting there doing a photo shoot? Neil Ruddock the model.
My god he's fat.
Anyway, some local Woolwich geezer asked him about Viera incident when he was at Spam and he said that Viera came in and apologised to him after.

Anyway, I didn't think he warranted any talking too, like them that were in there asking him spurs related footballing questions, I just ate up and fucked off.
He looked around

Cool short story Bro!

I love the beginning, middle and end... I assume you lowered your shades as you left (into the Sunset, obs) humming the theme tune to Pulp Fiction or Tales of the Unexpected... (depending on your age).

Here's hoping he DIDN'T have to lower himself to doing a photo shoot 'cos he was broke...?
I imagine the tiny slice of comfort he got was from being recognised (despite his FATNESS) and talking about the old days with fellow Football fans, of BOTH allegiances...
That is, until your smart quip and exit.

I imagine he is a broken man tonight...

...Neil slumps down onto his threadbare sofa. (it twangs, and breaks)
...with only a Pizza takeaway and a bottle of JD for company, Neil thumbs through an old Spurs matchday Programme... on which his photo could barely fit on the cover... due to his FATNESS....
A gelatinous tear oozes down his fat face... he sticks his tongue out and licks it...
He smiles wryly...

Fades to black.

A Philip Glass version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" can be feintly heard on an old gramophone in the distance...

Run closing titles.
The music changes to "Glory Glory Hallelujah" ... in the Minor key

~ FIN ~

Last edited:
My god he's fat.

He looked around
I was drinking in a pub round the corner from my work at lunch last week and noticed Dom Joly was sat at a table with a few people. I was really tempted to try and get the nokia ringtone and shout 'HELLO?' but I didn't want to be a dick.

Why should I give our 30m record signing a chance?! He's not adjusting to the prem, he's not a youngster. He was disinterested, lazy, always took the easy option and didn't have the ability to break down a tight defence. As one of our attacking mids in a game like that its criminal. Who scored have him down as average to shit so seriously, what did all of you lot see that I didnt?

1XBhlJK.png
Son is the best, MOTM!

That was my first thought after the match ended.... despite all of our possession, territory gained, total shots etc, it was a total clanger from a defender that gave us our goal. Their keeper played well, but didn't need to make any real 'worldies' to keep us out.
Umm, yeah he absolutely did. He blocked several point-blank efforts.

Keeper played well but we were unlucky to not be 2-3 up in the first 15 minutes.

I was drinking in a pub round the corner from my work at lunch last week and noticed Dom Joly was sat at a table with a few people. I was really tempted to try and get the nokia ringtone and shout 'HELLO?' but I didn't want to be a dick.

You should've done....wouldn't it be ironic if no one else has done it (but wanted to) for fear of looking like a dick!
Dom Joly must be DESPERATE for someone to do it by now!

Cool short story Bro!

I love the beginning, middle and end... I assume you lowered your shades as you left (into the Sunset, obs) humming the theme tune to Pulp Fiction or Tales of the Unexpected... (depending on your age).

Here's hoping he DIDN'T have to lower himself to doing a photo shoot 'cos he was broke...?
I imagine the tiny slice of comfort he got was from being recognised (despite his FATNESS) and talking about the old days with fellow Football fans, of BOTH allegiances...
That is, until your smart quip and exit.

I imagine he is a broken man tonight...

...Neil slumps down onto his threadbare sofa. (it twangs, and breaks)
...with only a Pizza takeaway and a bottle of JD for company, Neil thumbs through an old Spurs matchday Programme... on which his photo could barely fit on the cover... due to his FATNESS....
A gelatinous tear oozes down his fat face... he sticks his tongue out and licks it...
He smiles wryly...

Fades to black.

A Philip Glass version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" can be feintly heard on an old gramophone in the distance...

Run closing titles.
The music changes to "Glory Glory Hallelujah" ... in the Minor key

~ FIN ~
He was getting changed out back. It must have been murder for him watching the pies go into the oven.
The owner is a big bloke but even he was shocked seeing Neil in his underpants.

Back
Top Bottom