Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You were spot on again and here I am questioning you. Great call on the back line. I'm thinking you might be ITK...

Is your name Vlad? Andre? Or are you a wizard?

dean-wink-gif.gif

Before we all get carried away with our recent renaissance, it pays to heed the facts
We have won 8 games from 14
7 of them are against bottom 10 clubs
Lost 1 against a bottom 4 side
Against the top 10 we have
  • Won 1 against the team at 10
  • Drawn 3
  • and lost 3
Neither of the last 2 games (against bottom 3 sides) were emphatic or convincing wins, so it would be foolish of us to think we are on the up, as such - until we can start beating the other title aspirants.
Team selection still seems to be an issue, with the variety that many crave actually being the result of enforced changes, rather than selection based choices.
The next 2 league games are going to be a serious test of our teams credibility, and that of our managers job security. Lets all hope that we can not only win, but win well, we need a stable team and leadership and a team infused with the confidence to play to their potential.
Lets just hope that it coincides with a catastrophic loss of form with the nomads and a bright and shiny Christmas will be had by us all.

Against City Dawson was isolated so was exploited (looked poor. He needs to stop lunging in.
Suarez will play , as you say, his unique way - busy ,busy. He only becomes unpredictable if you allow him to. Control the game! Do not allow the ball to come under his control, hit him early. Anticipate his movements, get to the ball early. Keep it tight. Defence needs to keep together. He is not unplayable.

Sorry mate I've got to disagree with you here...
Knowing how to play Suarez and doing it are two different things...
Suarez ATM is unplayable and we are going to have to score 2 plus goals if we are going to draw or win...Suarez will score it's just how many...Dawson will not help this but if jan is still injured he will play regardless

So Hull beat Pool, and managed to stop Suarez scoring, but we can't. Bruce Jnr and Curtis Davies could stop him, but Daws and one other can't.

I don't accept that premise at all. Of course Dawson can help, as he helped last season at the Lane when we beat them and Suarez didn't score.

I accept that Suarez may score and we may not win, but I don't accept either outcome as inevitable.

Sorry mate I've got to disagree with you here...
Knowing how to play Suarez and doing it are two different things...
Suarez ATM is unplayable and we are going to have to score 2 plus goals if we are going to draw or win...Suarez will score it's just how many...Dawson will not help this but if jan is still injured he will play regardless
Suarez is on form theres no doubt about that. Can he be contained ... Yes. I honestly believe we can manage him whether that's Dawson or whoever. They will resort to a quick ball forward looking for Suarez. You will only need to read this and get in there before he has time to think. We may need to get a bit tough with him, don't let him take the pi55

Suarez is on form theres no doubt about that. Can he be contained ... Yes. I honestly believe we can manage him whether that's Dawson or whoever. They will resort to a quick ball forward looking for Suarez. You will only need to read this and get in there before he has time to think. We may need to get a bit tough with him, don't let him take the pi55

Any player can be contained an all but sometimes a player of Suarez ability can take the piss regardless of what you do. A lot like Aguero who just ran riot against us not long ago. Getting rough with Suarez usually means he'll be rolling around like he's been shoot too and thus get you booked.

So Hull beat Pool, and managed to stop Suarez scoring, but we can't. Bruce Jnr and Curtis Davies could stop him, but Daws and one other can't.

I don't accept that premise at all. Of course Dawson can help, as he helped last season at the Lane when we beat them and Suarez didn't score.

I accept that Suarez may score and we may not win, but I don't accept either outcome as inevitable.

Greavsy, your pointing out the obvious here mate, of course it's possible to contain Suarez just unlikely..it would be easy if like hull we put 10 men behind the ball, but much harder to win. Spurs won't employ this tactic and thus make more space for Suarez., the proof of course will b in the pudding, I'm just not overly confident daws will handle him that well..

Greavsy, your pointing out the obvious here mate, of course it's possible to contain Suarez just unlikely..it would be easy if like hull we put 10 men behind the ball, but much harder to win. Spurs won't employ this tactic and thus make more space for Suarez., the proof of course will b in the pudding, I'm just not overly confident daws will handle him that well..
Hi Oz, yes I am stating the obvious. But you're the one who said 'Suarez is unplayable ATM .. He will score, just how many ... Dawson will not help ...' therefore I feel I need to state the obvious to you, that this is not inevitable IMO, despite you claiming it is.

It is not certain Suarez will score, and it is definitely wrong IMO, to say Dawson will not help to contain him.

I repeat he was contained by Hull, and Daws helped to contain him last time he played at the Lane.

As you say the proof will be in the pudding. Even if Verts was fit, I would expect Daws as one of our first choice CBs to play as well.

It's unlikely Jan will be fit though, and I look forward to Daws and Cap/Vlad playing against Suarez. I just hope Rose is back, but I can't see that happening either. However Naughton did well at Sunderland.

Suarez is a fantastic player, the best in the country without a doubt ATM. But he has weaknesses. One obvious one is his temper, I hope some of our players rattle him a bit, and see how he reacts.

Hi Oz, yes I am stating the obvious. But you're the one who said 'Suarez is unplayable ATM .. He will score, just how many ... Dawson will not help ...' therefore I feel I need to state the obvious to you, that this is not inevitable IMO, despite you claiming it is.

It is not certain Suarez will score, and it is definitely wrong IMO, to say Dawson will not help to contain him.

I repeat he was contained by Hull, and Daws helped to contain him last time he played at the Lane.

As you say the proof will be in the pudding. Even if Verts was fit, I would expect Daws as one of our first choice CBs to play as well.

It's unlikely Jan will be fit though, and I look forward to Daws and Cap/Vlad playing against Suarez. I just hope ose is back, but I can't see that happening either. However Naughton did well at sunderland.

Greavsy, his 13 goals in 10 games suggest he is unplayable ATM, though nothings inevitable Suarez scoring is more likely than unlikely..if daws plays that likelihood IMO goes up..unfortunately due to injury he will probably play...I hope my posts are proved wrong by his and our performance but I doubt it...

Greavsy, his 13 goals in 10 games suggest he is unplayable ATM, though nothings inevitable Suarez scoring is more likely than unlikely..if daws plays that likelihood IMO goes up..unfortunately due to injury he will probably play...I hope my posts are proved wrong by his and our performance but I doubt it...
I've no problem with this summary OZ, except the 'unfortunately' bit about Daws. I think it is fortunate he will play, though of course I'd rather not have the injuries, but I'd play Daws anyway ATM. A time may occur soon when a CB pairing emerges that is better than one involving Daws, but it hasn't happened yet IMO, so I'm delighted that we are fortunate enough to have Daws available.

In Pool's last 4 away games, they've won all 4. Three then. Two obviously, what, the mighty Reds and the invncible Suarez have only won one of those four, you're kidding me.

Liverpool have won Zero of their last four away games, presumably they weren't that motivated against Hull, Toon, Woolwich and Everton - oh wait ...

In their last four away games, the unplayable Suarez has scored 10 goals, obviously, at least. What you're telling me he's only scored half that - 6, the player who must score at least once every game

Okay so now you're trolling me, he's only got 3, less than one a game on average - the almighty, invincible Suarez who's gonna reduce our captain to jelly, just like he did to Bruce and Davies at Hull

You'll be telling me next he's only scored once in those last four away games - Get out of here, this guy's on another planet

0.25 goals per game - don't make me laugh.

Seriously, some people know jack about football :)

Any player can be contained an all but sometimes a player of Suarez ability can take the piss regardless of what you do. A lot like Aguero who just ran riot against us not long ago. Getting rough with Suarez usually means he'll be rolling around like he's been shoot too and thus get you booked.
At the moment Suarez is enjoying his football, he's in a good place in his head. We need to put him off his stride. He seems to manifest his own chances, don't let this happen. Get tight on him and frustrate him. Plan B, if this doesn't work, just out score em. 4-3 Spurs win.
WH defending was embarrassing, made him look good. We need to be on our game.

Last edited:
In Pool's last 4 away games, they've won all 4. Three then. Two obviously, what, the mighty Reds and the invncible Suarez have only won one of those four, you're kidding me.

Liverpool have won Zero of their last four away games, presumably they weren't that motivated against Hull, Toon, Woolwich and Everton - oh wait ...

In their last four away games, the unplayable Suarez has scored 10 goals, obviously, at least. What you're telling me he's only scored half that - 6, the player who must score at least once every game

Okay so now you're trolling me, he's only got 3, less than one a game on average - the almighty, invincible Suarez who's gonna reduce our captain to jelly, just like he did to Bruce and Davies at Hull

You'll be telling me next he's only scored once in those last four away games - Get out of here, this guy's on another planet

0.25 goals per game - don't make me laugh.

Seriously, some people know jack about football :)

grevesy usually we see eye to eye, but all your stats mean fuck all..
which big team have we beat this year? which ones have we kept scoreless?
your basing dawsons ability on his performance against teams his style suits who by and large have shit strikers...dawson has made mistakes against good opposition time and time again.
suarez and aguero are the best strikers in the PL...ones already torn him to shreds and the other we will have to wait and see..
I hate suarez but i can admit a players worldclass when they are worldclass...
his top 5 striker in the world and for all your shit talking i would have thought you of all people would recognise this..

your basing dawsons ability on his performance against teams his style suits who by and large have shit strikers...dawson has made mistakes against good opposition time and time again.
suarez and aguero are the best strikers in the PL...ones already torn him to shreds and the other we will have to wait and see..
his top 5 striker in the world and for all your shit talking i would have thought you of all people would recognise this..
Well I guess we've stopped seeing eye to eye. It's a shame to put you on ignore, but I'm afraid I have to. My stats don't mean fuck all, them's the facts, and I'm not talking shit. I'm giving you respect in that I'm explaining my reasons. Normally if people talk to me like that, I just put them straight on ignore. Keep up your top class support of Spurs, which I respect you for. We'll see who's right on Sunday.:thumbup:

I'm looking forward to it even more now the forum stakes have been raised :)

Oh and talking about raised stakes, here are the current odds

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/tottenham-v-liverpool/winner

As you can see, the betting is very close, with us being slight favourites. So clearly some people have taken heed of the meaningless stats I've given on here, as a lot of people are backing us to beat Pool :coys:

Last edited:
Daws error v Fulham was not good.I'm sure he will raise his game against Livpool

Back
Top Bottom