Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Verts is fit by then - he should be nowhere near the starting 11. Suarez would fukcing OWN him.
Dawson has been exposed because of the poor team performances. As the team improves so will he. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong. Anyway we are at home and Liverpool do not perform as they do at their place. Where has all the positive vibes gone after the last two matches. I was hammered for being cautious and questioning the team structure, now everyone seems to expect an onslaught from suarez and co.
Don't make sense to me? He can be played and controlled, his LUCK will run out.

Well I guess we've stopped seeing eye to eye. It's a shame to put you on ignore, but I'm afraid I have to. My stats don't mean fuck all, them's the facts, and I'm not talking shit. I'm giving you respect in that I'm explaining my reasons. Normally if people talk to me like that, I just put them straight on ignore. Keep up your top class support of Spurs, which I respect you for. We'll see who's right on Sunday.:thumbup:

I'm looking forward to it even more now the forum stakes have been raised :)

Oh and talking about raised stakes, here are the current odds

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/tottenham-v-liverpool/winner

As you can see, the betting is very close, with us being slight favourites. So clearly some people have taken heed of the meaningless stats I've given on here, as a lot of people are backing us to beat Pool :coys:

put me on ignore i could care less...

calling me a troll and saying I know nothing about football shows u up to being a hypocritical old cunt...

suarez has more talent than dawson in his left nut...sick off the dawson fanboys on here sucking daws of cause his the captain and a so called tottenham legend...dawson is killing us and when we get a proper LB ill be glad to see the back of him

Just to state where I stand on Dawson - he is a very good defender who certainly has his place in the squad. He has many strengths as well as weaknesses, like any defender. Against slower, more physical attackers, he is still more than capable, but top class strikers do give him the run around more often than not. But who doesn't struggle against Aguero, Suarez, Rooney - they're top players for a reason!
I don't think he particularly suits AVB's high line, as he tends to drop 5 yards deeper than the other defenders, which is in part anticipation (and you'd be surprised how many chances he cuts out doing this) and I think also to make up for his lack of pace, though the emphasis on his failings in this area (speed) is ridiculous. If anyone thinks the key to success is two quick centre backs, they're wrong. Plain and simple. I know he has other faults, but that seems to be the trait he is picked out for most. Mertesacker couldn't be slower if his face was anchored to the centre spot, but they look pretty solid at the back.
His ball playing skills could be better, but he has never been great on the ball, and he has not always had such criticism. I don't think he is worse than he has been for the last few years, and he's been as consistent/inconcistent as anyone this season.
Conclusion - if all are fit, he's probably my 4th choice. But he's a bloody good 4th choice, and very capable when needed to step in. I can't think of any other team that has 4 central defenders that I'd swap for ours.
One thing he cannot be accused of, is not giving 100%. I have never seen him look disinterested or unpassionate, which cannot be said for many of our players.
He sets an example, and a few of our players (old and new) could do themselves a favour by following that example.

Oh, and his Hollywood passes NEED to stop!
Daws error v Fulham was not good.I'm sure he will raise his game against Livpool
It wasn't good, but it wasn't the only error in the game either. I saw plenty of players make errors, but Dawson is being used as a scapegoat lately. Lloris has been FAR worse overall in the last 4 league games.

suarez has more talent than dawson in his left nut...sick off the dawson fanboys on here sucking daws of cause his the captain and a so called tottenham legend...dawson is killing us and when we get a proper LB ill be glad to see the back of him
But UNTIL we have a fit left back, we're lucky to have someone of Dawson's ability and experience to step in. As I've said above, not many teams have the same depth we do.
I agree that he isn't always a great choice - for instance I will worry if he is named next week against Suarez - but I think in his current form, Suarez is capable of making any of our defenders look shit. Rose, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Vlad - none of them will single-handedly be able to stop him if he is on top of his game.
What we require at the back is balance and organisation. Dawson is capable of fitting into that, providing we get the line-up and tactics right.

He makes mistakes, but he does a lot right as well. I feel he doesn't get credit when it's due.

put me on ignore i could care less...

calling me a troll and saying I know nothing about football shows u up to being a hypocritical old cunt...

Dawsons more Spurs than you'll ever be, dingo boy

Dawsons more Spurs than you'll ever be, dingo boy

sammy if the pre-requisite for being spurs was having to have played as a professional for them, the list of who is would be confined to an elite few..
since i was born in london and grew up in tottenham, with a father, and grandfather (im also assuming his father) who went for spurs i would suggest my pedigree can remain unchallenge regardless of where my family decided to move to...
we've been over this sammy..

sammy if the pre-requisite for being spurs was having to have played as a professional for them, the list of who is would be confined to an elite few..
since i was born in london and grew up in tottenham, with a father, and grandfather (im also assuming his father) who went for spurs i would suggest my pedigree can remain unchallenge regardless of where my family decided to move to...
we've been over this sammy..

I live abroad too, I couldnt give a fuck

I can't believe his has turned into a 'Who's Spursier-than-who' competition...
you both know it's @ Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante so there's no point embarrassing yourselves for 2nd place!!

:vdvshh:

(i'm joking, I guess using your stipulations, then @ Blanchflower Blanchflower is the most Spursy of 'em all, 'cos he was related to one of 'em!) :harrysmile:

@ sammyspurs sammyspurs Didn't your mother ever tell you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

Jumping into the thread just to wind someone up does nobody any favours, and is completely the opposite of what the forum dictates we do - discuss and debate!

We're all Spurs, albeit of differing opinions. Why do you insist on turning every topic into an argument?

@ sammyspurs sammyspurs Didn't your mother ever tell you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

Jumping into the thread just to wind someone up does nobody any favours, and is completely the opposite of what the forum dictates we do - discuss and debate!

We're all Spurs, albeit of differing opinions. Why do you insist on turning every topic into an argument?

Another twat who will defend anyone as long as its not me...Oz has been winding me up for weeks, and has already been abusive to me today in another thread...after engaging me out of the blue.

Now kindly fuck off, and dont worry about my mother

...I prefer it when we lose, then at least there's good reason for EVERYONE to be angry at EVERYONE else!!

Samuel, don't let Oz get to you... (is dingo boy racist? I dunno, but if you were provoked, then you certainly bit back.)
...and Oz Hotpur... don't wind Sammy up.

There, done. Lock the thread... who's up for the next game??
:sandroscream:

Show me a 'good' error!! :harrysmile:
:)

Obviously errors aren't good by definition, though in hindsight they sometimes work out that way.

When Hugo messed up v City, I turned the TV off, because beforehand I thought City would win, and I couldn't take what was coming. Not that I thought it would be 6-0, but I couldn't see anything but defeat.

However when he messed up v Sunderland, while I was massively unhappy with the error, which was worse than the City one, still I calmly carried on watching, because I had belief we could turn it around. Going behind did lead to us playing some of our best stuff of the season.

Obviously errors aren't good by definition, though in hindsight they sometimes work out that way.

When Hugo messed up v City, I turned the TV off, because beforehand I thought City would win, and I couldn't take what was coming. Not that I thought it would be 6-0, but I couldn't see anything but defeat.

However when he messed up v Sunderland, while I was massively unhappy with the error, which was worse than the City one, still I calmly carried on watching, because I had belief we could turn it around. Going behind did lead to us playing some of our best stuff of the season.
its a shallow boast when its against the worst team in the league though...........

Dawson has been exposed because of the poor team performances. As the team improves so will he. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong. Anyway we are at home and Liverpool do not perform as they do at their place. Where has all the positive vibes gone after the last two matches. I was hammered for being cautious and questioning the team structure, now everyone seems to expect an onslaught from suarez and co.
Don't make sense to me? He can be played and controlled, his LUCK will run out.
I really do despair at the people who cannot differentiate between the situations where the guy was left trying to mark two people, or given no time to make up ground on an opponent who scored, and a defender who drops a huge bollock and allows a goal to be scored. (Walkers gift to Rooney, Lloris' gift to Johnson.) Dawson got sold down the river on more than one occasion and because he didn't close the gap and pull off a King v Robben (http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/ledley-king-tackle-on-arjen-robben/ - I still get a semi watching that!) standard tackle - he becomes a liability.
Sad

Sorry to make a point of this…against City you switch off but Sunderland you keep watching. Isn't that just satisfying ones self (only watching when you know we can win) than support through thick and thin (and stress).
"Good supporters must first become good followers"
I liken this to leaving before the final whistle which is sacrilege. I always believe we can win no matter what the score or who we are playing.

Sorry to make a point of this…against City you switch off but Sunderland you keep watching. Isn't that just satisfying ones self (only watching when you know we can win) than support through thick and thin (and stress).
"Good supporters must first become good followers"
I liken this to leaving before the final whistle which is sacrilege. I always believe we can win no matter what the score or who we are playing.
Fair comments Mr S. But I don't think it's the same, because at the stadium your support counts, or can do, if like me you loudly back the team.

Me turning my telly off has no effect on the team whatsoever.

I've been supporting Spurs for over 50 years, so I'm quite happy with my supporter status. I just can't bear to see us lose. I turned off the game v Toon when they scored as well, but not against Fulham.

I think part of the reason I kept watching v Sunderland and Fulham other than a feeling we could get back into the games, is that I've given up on 4th place so am more relaxed about the situation. IF we beat Pool, I might have to re-evalute that assessment, and then comes the stress, and maybe the 'premature off button' situation again.

I remember years ago, Spurs going behind had me regularly turning off the TV, lying grief-stricken on the bathroom floor, stamping round the house, all sorts of stuff, then I started watching more or less all our games to the end, because we started to show a lot of 'bouncebackability'. Now that fighting spirit seems to be with us again.

Even if Pool score first, I shall continue watching on Sunday.

Fair comments Mr S. But I don't think it's the same, because at the stadium your support counts, or can do, if like me you loudly back the team.

Me turning my telly off has no effect on the team whatsoever.

I've been supporting Spurs for over 50 years, so I'm quite happy with my supporter status. I just can't bear to see us lose. I turned off the game v Toon when they scored as well, but not against Fulham.

I think part of the reason I kept watching v Sunderland and Fulham other than a feeling we could get back into the games, is that I've given up on 4th place so am more relaxed about the situation. IF we beat Pool, I might have to re-evalute that assessment, and then comes the stress, and maybe the 'premature off button' situation again.

I remember years ago, Spurs going behind had me regularly turning off the TV, lying grief-stricken on the bathroom floor, stamping round the house, all sorts of stuff, then I started watching more or less all our games to the end, because we started to show a lot of 'bouncebackability'. Now that fighting spirit seems to be with us again.

Even if Pool score first, I shall continue watching on Sunday.
Fair enough. I apologise if I questioned your faithful support. Anyway won't need to switch any thing off when we play pool.

Back
Top Bottom