Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham; Sunday 18th October; 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kill the game off? You could say that against Newcastle but at 3-0 82 mins the game is already dead. Do we really need to score 4-5 to win games now?
No but we need to control the game, that’s how we kill it off. Allowing an average side like West Ham to dictate the tempo of a game is never the correct strategy. As proven by, you know, what happened.

Conversely Newcastle we did everything right. We totally controlled the game and didn’t give them a sniff of getting an equaliser. We were undone by corrupt officiating in that.

Guys we need to come together and stop being so fucking thickle, I purposely didn't post straight away because my emotions were running high, after some time to reflect, it was a very decent performance again just a few things still lacking defensively and mentality wise

The football is so much better now and we should be greatful because many did not see that happening, letting a 3-0 lead slip in the last 10 is not acceptable, however losing our heads and slating the team is going overboard - I'm not a fan of winks but I've seen people go in on him hard for a 15min display where his really done nothing wrong. Give it time, if we keep playing like this and improve a bit defensively we should still be in the running come christmas
They're not just little things still lacking defensively and mentality wise though, they're huge long standing problems. Defensively it hasn't been good for a few years now since Jan and Toby moved passed their prime. The mentality problems and brittle temperament have been there for nearly 60 years.

We've had a horrible habit for a few years now of conceding sucker punch late goals to teams that we should have long since buried. We did it in our very last home game before today to Newcastle and it is simply inexcusable that it happened again today.

How the hell we fcked it out ??? I won't say we aren't killing the game cause we lead by fckin 3 goals already , Mourinho's Inter and Chelsea team scored 1 goal and you can say they are already killing the game. There are still lot work we have to do before we can be a genuine title challenger

Trying not to overreact here, but I feel like certainly a 0-0 (and maybe even a 0-1 loss) would've been better than that. At least we would've just moved on and called a bad day, on the other hand this will leave mental scars for all our players. This was a historic collapse, not just typical Spursy.

Ultimately there is nothing good that can come from today. You can't even learn from something like that, it's beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Trying not to overreact here, but I feel like certainly a 0-0 (and maybe even a 0-1 loss) would've been better than that. At least we would've just moved on and called a bad day, on the other hand this will leave mental scars for all our players. This was a historic collapse, not just typical Spursy.

No chance would a 0-1 loss been better.

0-0 would have been less frustrating. We'd have kept a clean sheet and it would have been likely that Fabianski had a blinder. Throwing away any lead is fucking annoying though, especially as we are the first team to do so with so little left to play in the leagues history and it's the first time we've done it in the league since Man Utd beat us 5-3 many moons ago.

And to fucking West Ham too.

Positives to take from that game were that when we do attack we are devastating. We actually don't do too badly when it comes to limiting our opponents to clear goal scoring chances. No one got injured and we still have a fully fit Lo Celso and Gareth Bale to truly come.

No chance would a 0-1 loss been better.

0-0 would have been less frustrating. We'd have kept a clean sheet and it would have been likely that Fabianski had a blinder. Throwing away any lead is fucking annoying though, especially as we are the first team to do so with so little left to play in the leagues history and it's the first time we've done it in the league since Man Utd beat us 5-3 many moons ago.

And to fucking West Ham too.

Positives to take from that game were that when we do attack we are devastating. We actually don't do too badly when it comes to limiting our opponents to clear goal scoring chances. No one got injured and we still have a fully fit Lo Celso and Gareth Bale to truly come.

In my opinion a team can only handle so many "mental setbacks" before it catches up with them and destroys the season. Last season we had like five in the first three months (blowing two goal leads twice, Brighton, Bayern), and we saw how it turned out. I would say this season we've already had two (Newcastle and today). We really need to get through Christmas without any more crazy shite happening to us. Newcastle and today weren't just points dropped, they were traumatizing experiences to go through as a player.

In my opinion a team can only handle so many "mental setbacks" before it catches up with them and destroys the season. Last season we had like five in the first three months, and we saw how it turned out. I would say this season we've already had two (Newcastle and today). We really need to get through Christmas without any more crazy shite happening to us. Newcastle and today weren't just points dropped, they were traumatizing experiences to go through as a player.

We followed up that Newcastle trauma by scoring 13 goals in our next 2 games, including a 1-6 hammering of Man Utd at Old Trafford.

It's how you react. We have a Europa League game in the week and then Burnley away. Win both and relatively comfortably and we'll all be buzzing again with Brighton and West Brom coming up.

We followed up that Newcastle trauma by scoring 13 goals in our next 2 games, including a 1-6 hammering of Man Utd at Old Trafford.

It's how you react. We have a Europa League game in the week and then Burnley away. Win both and relatively comfortably and we'll all be buzzing again with Brighton and West Brom coming up.
Right, if we can get through until the next break winning just about every game, we'll be fine.

I didn't see the match, listened to it in one ear while at my daughter's match today, was absolutely buzzing when we went up 3 and it sounded like we could have been up a few more. Need to go back and watch the highlights at the least, possibly the full match. Was Davinson's og as bad as it sounded? How good was Bale's chance?

94th minute shot of the week goal? all coming from a free-kick wrongly given - it's very hard to legislate against that. Absolutely gutted to drop two points but if the players take the last ten minutes as a lesson and keep playing like they did for the first 70 minutes we'll be there or there about come next May.

Unlike last season when we played headless football and deservedly dropped points this season the Newcastle goal was a travesty in the 94th minute and West Ham scored their goal of the season in the 94th minute ... annoying as feck but not the same mental collapse as under Poch.

I would like to see Mourinho use the squad more, he wanted more players and he got them, why wasn't Bale on at 45 minutes? why not bring Davies on for Son/Kane after 60 minute and go 5-3-2 with a 3-0 lead to protect? ... this waiting until after 70 minutes is risky it doesn't give players coming on time to get up to speed, and if it goes badly there's very little time to change things again ... that said lightning has already struck twice with ridiculous late equalisers let's hope that's it for this season.

Didn't get a chance to watch the second half as I had to leave, but when I saw the scoreline I said "not surprised at all."

Why? Because I thought WH was plenty good in the first half and were only down by 3 goals because of utter brilliance. We were 3 for 3 on our shots and all came from a marvelous display by Kane. Without him, we wouldn't have had much from that game as I thought our midfield was just okay and way too easy to carve open.

We are just not good enough in the middle of the park IMO. We sorely needed a true beast in the middle of the park. If it was prime Wanyama in there, we would not be as open as we are, but Sissoko is all we have at this point. I am fine with PEH and Ndombele in that 10 role, but I don't think Lo Celso in the 3 in the midfield solves that issue. We needed a destroyer to let PEH roam and pressure and for Ndombele to thrive.

Didn't help to have Sanchez ruffled from the start of the game. When it comes to physical players like Antonio, he crumbles. He tries to make it a wrestling matchup when he should just rely on his superior speed and agility to win battles with stronger players. Once he lost the plot in the first couple of sequences, I knew he was in for a long night.

He has all the tools to be good, not great, but he continually gets into his head and it has proven to be at the detriment of the team and himself.

I didn't see the match, listened to it in one ear while at my daughter's match today, was absolutely buzzing when we went up 3 and it sounded like we could have been up a few more. Need to go back and watch the highlights at the least, possibly the full match. Was Davinson's og as bad as it sounded? How good was Bale's chance?

You sure you want to watch it :mourweird: If there had been another 3-5 minutes more to play, I'm certain we would have conceded again and lost 4-3.

Davinson's header was a right bullet, unfortunately, but the defensive breakdown by Lucas and Reguilon before that, which enabled the cross, was even worse in my opinion. Bale showed some nifty footwork that led to the chance and if he was a bit more match fit/sharp, he'd have put it away.

absolutely shocking defending by Sanchez on that all important second west ham goal. What was he thinking ? Two cent head and why Jose relies on him is David Luiz level shambles.

He rarely wins free kicks, more often than not when he moves the ball forward he ends up losing it, rarely makes a pass, is not good at receiving passes and isn’t effective at making runs to open up space or keep the defenders honest.

At least with Son or Bergwijn on the pitch the defense has to respect his ability to run into open space, with Moura coming on there was offensive threat coming from that position.

Moura offers zero but running around and he doesn’t even do that effectively.
I disagree with you in a lot of things, but Moura is a liability, probably one of our worst players that offers close to nothing most of the time.

I have to ask: Is this the worse Mourinho's defense? I have every confidence in his defense setup not to concede more than 2 goals so not sure how WH can grab 3! OK, the last goal was a worldie but that was from a stupid mistake from Winks thinking he is N'D for a second there. Even peak Barca could not get 3 goals past Inter.
I know that football is a team game but I can pin this draw down to Sanchez and Wink. Sorry to post this but it should not be a draw and we only blame ourselves.
I think so. None in our back 4 are great pure defenders.
Kill the game off? You could say that against Newcastle but at 3-0 82 mins the game is already dead. Do we really need to score 4-5 to win games now?
Agree. We also had chances to score more. Conceding 3 goals in last 15 minutes is down to our defenders. None of them is the type that can put opposition attackers in the pocket. There is only so much tactic, coaching, motivating can do. The rest depends on execution.

Really shocking realization that we're so weak in aerial duel. Dier is our best defender in that regard. Not that he doesn't make mistake. He can impose himself in our box, and can contest for headers.

Last edited:
I think we had two or three shots on goal in the second half. JM got it completely wrong by sitting back for the entire 2nd half. Everyone knows that West Ham look for corners and to "win" free kicks around the box, so why didn't we keep the pressure on? I'm still fuming!!

Back
Top Bottom