Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's the point in the FA cup?

I remember one year Man U couldn't even be bothered attending because they had a commercial opportunity elsewhere. The FA were so toothless they didn't even do anything about that. The lack of consequence for Man U's absence that year meant the death of the FA Cup. It's no more important than the League Cup, or the fucken Kirin Cup
I hate you

I understand you don't want to see Jose or 1-nil to the gooners football, but without that 1 superstar (messi or Ronaldo type) I can't see how we can ever win the big ones, and we need to win the big one to keep and attract the top players

Its always the way with Spurs.

Suggest we can win the CL and get laughed at......get knocked out and get criticised for playing our principles.
The bar is always raised, by our own fans too.
I dont get it.....we cant win big games unless we sign Messi, or put 11 men behind the ball?

We just lost our first game in 18, where we have taken 7pts from Utd, Liverpool away and Woolwich. We drew with Juve away, we have drawn in Madrid and played them off the park home, beaten Dortmund home and away.

We did it our way, and will continue to grow and learn. Why has there always got to be a Spanish Inquisition to a defeat. We lost, its football, and one team has to lose.

You dont change your entire philosophy to someone elses cowardly one because of it, you improve your own.

Juve changed their setup and scored their 2 goals almost right away, now we are behind in the tie, they have gone to a back 4, what did Poch change ? nothing why ?
playing against a defending back 3 is different than playing a back 4,
if it was Jose/Pep would have changed the way their team played, they would have thought it though before the game (if they do that we do this etc)
that is why I say Poch is now a top manager, he the best manager we have had in a long time, he works on a shoestring budget, but there are things that he needs to learn
As the ball didn't go out of play once between their two goals at what point exactly should Poch made a change?

The after halftime assault experience or the rolling on the floor cluctching my crotch (looking at you Chiellini) experience. We lost a game of football, happens, if the officials had any bottle Juve would have had a penalty and Spurs would have played against 9 men.

I don’t believe we were tired just frustrated as you Dele’s face indicated in the 2nd half him Kane and Son were kicked from pillar to post with little action taken, Alli goes for a ball and is penalised despite his opponents being the same height as his.

The subs impacted but only due to us switching off, and even after the goals all the last ditch stuff was from Juve. Kane effort hit the inside of the post ran along the line but didn’t go in, that’s just bad luck no technical masterclass.

We came up short where we always do when we play a team that’s more or less camped around their box hoping for a break, Burnley, Swansea and now Juventus.

Kane's effort was offside first of all and that was the last of many mistakes of that joker of a referee. Never mentioned any technical masterclass , I think technically Spurs were the better team, at least in midfield and attack. Defense has lots of room for improvement because it is not on par with the rest of the team tbh.
If what you say is true, and I do not believe it is, the fact that they got frustrated because of an opposition team that fouled them when in difficulty that would be a sign of inexperience by definition.
Again IMHO there was no reason when 3-2 up to keep exposing the defense by committing so many men forward and raising the tempo of the game. Spurs were in full control and did not need another goal.

We would have had a very hard time beating, most likely, 2 out of Barca, Bayern and City. It's nice to dream, but experience at this level, as we learned last night, is paramount. City are just getting to that stage, give us a couple of years, we'll be the hipsters' tip.

Look at PSG v Barca last season, and against Real this one. Champions League is just a completely different level of football. Every team at this stage is a monster.

Except for Liverpool.

Haven't the heart to read through this whole thread, but just to say, was proud of the team last night, and shell-shocked and heart-broken to go out after such a fine display. I couldn't see the Juve goals which were up the other end, but they looked good.
I thought Chiellini did a good job controlling and neutralising Kane the whole second half. Just seemed like the usual tricks and flicks that give us a mighty advantage over lesser teams were cancelled out by dirty but solid defending. Ref could have dished out more cards for bad fouls, Sonny was being kicked off the park.

Been a good and thoroughly enjoyable campaign, roll on next year. Love playing these games.

Kane's effort was offside first of all and that was the last of many mistakes of that joker of a referee. Never mentioned any technical masterclass , I think technically Spurs were the better team, at least in midfield and attack. Defense has lots of room for improvement because it is not on par with the rest of the team tbh.
If what you say is true, and I do not believe it is, the fact that they got frustrated because of an opposition team that fouled them when in difficulty that would be a sign of inexperience by definition.
Again IMHO there was no reason when 3-2 up to keep exposing the defense by committing so many men forward and raising the tempo of the game. Spurs were in full control and did not need another goal.
Its called football, not chess
Each team has a goal and the other team is supposed to try to put the ball in it
Italian football has always been about not letting the opposition score in their goal, by any method - rather than to try to beat the other team by outscoring them.

We had a player who said this - and its what our club lives for

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

If what you say is true, and I do not believe that, the fact that they got frustrated because of an opposition team that fouled them when in difficulty that would be a sign of inexperience by definition.
Again IMHO there was no reason when 3-2 up to keep exposing the defense by committing so many men forward and raising the tempo of the game. Spurs was in full control and did not need another goal.
The frustration was because of that joker referee that’s why I highlighted Alli’s yellow card had we at all reacted the punishment would have been harsh, so our option was to play football while the systematic assault went by largely unpunished.

If Kane was offside he may well have been Chiellini handled the ball twice in one motion under the view of the lino. Juve had a glorious few minutes largely down to us but if the officials had any balls there’d be no way Juve would finish the game with 11. I’m not talking about niggly fouls, blatant kicking and stamping that went unchecked. Enjoy the victory

Liverpool are a European giant whether we like it or not. They've won this fucker 5 times. I'd have fancied them though, awful at the back. I suspect if they were to draw Juve it would go very similar to what's just happened to us.
They haven't faced a big team so far. They will go out when they draw Juve or Real.

It's still hard to believe we actually lost last night, part of me thinks I dreamt their goals and that I should be awaiting the draw for the next round.

That's how much we've progressed recently. That defeat to a genuine top class opponent comes as a shock to me.

As is usual on the big occasion we threw it away with 3 minutes of madness, losing us the game and a chance to progress.
Until we learn to handle the big occasions like big clubs do (which we are not) then this will continue happening. Hopefully this is another nail in Pochettino’s coffin and we ship him out at the end of this season.
I am this morning (and I was last night at Wembley) so far beyond angry and disappointed that this has happened yet again on the big occasion when the team should have stepped up and shown their strength and failed miserably to do so.
We had the game under control in the first half, but that 3 minutes of stupidity lost us the match. As for being proud, no just very, very disappointed that the rest of football is laughing at Spurs’ delusion that we have a squad that has got what it takes.
At the end of the day we were simply beaten by the better team on the night.

One thing we are yet to learn but need to sharpish is how to close out a game. You may hate him but Mourinho would have shut up shop very effectively at 1-0, just like Allegri did at at 1-2.

When people talk about our naivety/inexperience, that's what they mean

Do you want to watch Mourinho football every week or do you want to be entertained ? Would you swap poch for Mourinho if Utd came calling ? You can't have it all ways mate.

Liverpool are a European giant whether we like it or not. They've won this fucker 5 times. I'd have fancied them though, awful at the back. I suspect if they were to draw Juve it would go very similar to what's just happened to us.
Except they’re actually shit at the back and from what we did to them at Wembley their attack can get easily stifled. Not sure why I felt compelled to comment on Liverpool, I should go to work instead of sulking under my duvet.

Oky, well emotions are cooled a bit by now.
We had a really-really good CL group stage. Fenomenal really, for that I am really proud of our lads!! Beating Real twice is something to remember.

But our games against Juventus - let's not lie to ourselves - were unprofessional. 2 legged tie lasts 180 minutes, and it baffles me how we were switched off for 15 minutes of that. That cost us 4 goals and at the same time from remaining 165 minutes we really pressed them well for like 100. But during that 100 minutes we were nowhere near as clinical as they were within their 15 minutes.

What worries me most is that this seems to be repeating pattern. Same thing happened last year vs Chelsea in FA Cup. In play-offs this "beatiful game" and "massive press" and "enjoying yourself" does not matter. Result matters. Unfortunately it went against us yesterday.

Hope the players are not too down for too long. We have EPL top 4 finish to fight for, let's give this one a good challenge and next year... well move to new stadium and see what that holds. I hope this is the last time when we drop out in this fashion.

You could have wasted 90 mins of your life by watching it.
Speak for yourself mate. Win or lose, every 90 minutes of CL football against one of the best-performing teams in world football is to be cherished. I'm crushed we lost - who amongst us isn't - but we've enjoyed a remarkable campaign the highs of which, on reflection, massively outweighs this low.

Back
Top Bottom