Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely not, I agree with you but I beg you to listen to Pochettino's motivation. One thing is to say: Agnelli was wrong. One thing is to say: we lost because of the referee in a match where you did not have any episodes against. Pochettino is a great coach but he acted like Sarri when he loses and says the problem is to play before or after Juventus (search online).
You are missing the point.
Poch was ASKED about it in an interview.
He said he didn’t think it was proper for your chairman to rub shoulders in the tunnel with the ref before a match.
He didn’t bring it up. It was a question put to him by a journalist. He is completely justified in voicing his opinion. If you have an issue with him having an opinion, then there is really nothing else to add

You are missing the point.
Poch was ASKED about it in an interview.
He said he didn’t think it was proper for your chairman to rub shoulders in the tunnel with the ref before a match.
He didn’t bring it up. It was a question put to him by a journalist. He is completely justified in voicing his opinion. If you have an issue with him having an opinion, then there is really nothing else to add
I agree opinion:

he did not say: I do not find it correct that Agnelli speaks with the referee (opinion).

he said that if the Spurs want to pass the turn they MUST like Agnelli (sarcastic)

To be sarcastic is like try try to find an alibi.
he also said that on Douglas Costa maybe it was penalty, it depends. If he had been consistent he would have admitted "solar" penalty.
He doesn’t affect its value but please analyze everything

So, i thought to myself “ahh we were beaten by the better team blah blah. We were done over by a very experienced juventus side so fair play. Im still proud of the team” but im still hurting from it. How is that even possible?

Honestly that loss has had a long lasting effect on me and it shouldnt. And i cant pick out why haha.

As is usual on the big occasion we threw it away with 3 minutes of madness, losing us the game and a chance to progress.
Until we learn to handle the big occasions like big clubs do (which we are not) then this will continue happening. Hopefully this is another nail in Pochettino’s coffin and we ship him out at the end of this season.
I am this morning (and I was last night at Wembley) so far beyond angry and disappointed that this has happened yet again on the big occasion when the team should have stepped up and shown their strength and failed miserably to do so.
We had the game under control in the first half, but that 3 minutes of stupidity lost us the match. As for being proud, no just very, very disappointed that the rest of football is laughing at Spurs’ delusion that we have a squad that has got what it takes.
At the end of the day we were simply beaten by the better team on the night.
I'm guessing you're 13 and only started to watch football recently.

Speak for yourself mate. Win or lose, every 90 minutes of CL football against one of the best-performing teams in world football is to be cherished. I'm crushed we lost - who amongst us isn't - but we've enjoyed a remarkable campaign the highs of which, on reflection, massively outweighs this low.
Oh thank fuck, a glass half full post.
Not another suicide note or a "we're all doomed" monologue

I agree opinion:

he did not say: I do not find it correct that Agnelli speaks with the referee (opinion).

he said that if the Spurs want to pass the turn they MUST like Agnelli (sarcastic)

To be sarcastic is like try try to find an alibi.
he also said that on Douglas Costa maybe it was penalty, it depends. If he had been consistent he would have admitted "solar" penalty.
He doesn’t affect its value but please analyze everything
I have analysed what he said in answer to a direct question on an issue of propriety. I find no fault with what he said. He’s not going to say that he thinks it’s great that the opposing teams chairman was laughing & joking in the tunnel with the ref before the match. I also agree with him on the penalty. Some are given, some aren’t. He didn’t say “no it wasn’t” or “I didn’t see it” (c) Arsene Wenger

For Vertonghen's foul it would have, not the shirt pull and not the Barzagli stamp as these were not "clear & obvious errors". Barzagli would be retrospectively banned by now had that been a PL game, but it wasn't, so he isn't.
VAR would have alerted the ref he missed Barzagli’s stamp

I don’t think in Agnelli’s pressure to referee.
Andrea Agnelli’s very clear person different from Mourinho ( many times Mourinho’s game is nervous, provocation, pressure, grimace).

Why do you dirty a great game between top clubs?
Maybe, just maybe...
It might be due to Juve's history of taking short cuts to achieve what they want.
You see, as a nation we pride ourselves on doing things the right way, Maradona was proud that he cheated to score against England, Nobody at your club saw that fixing matches was a problem. Your players think it's ok to clean their boots on our players.
So we see no reason why senior officials will want to do this.
You have history

Depends what is being said, if it's against the rules then no.
The ref wasn't good but that isn't what put us out, obviously he missed the stamp on Sonny, but he also prior to that missed the penalty for them (how the 5th official didn't give that I don't know).

Just think of how you might have felt if the Spurs chairman was seen talking to the match officials before the game...regardless of whether it made a difference to what happened on the pitch. Would you be happy with that scenario? And how might you feel if, following that pre match conversation, Spurs had won the tie?
It is wrong & having been asked the question in an interview, Poch was absolutely justified in giving his opinion on it. . None of us understand why you don’t see that. Maybe it’s ok in Italy for club chairmen to rub shoulders with match officials?

It's preposterous to suggest any juve official would ever seek to influence a referee.....

I read that it happened during the half time due to the penalty , but if it is indeed like you say I would strongly encourage Andrea Agnelli to refrain from doing that ever again in the future given the results of his pressure :D
I'll tell you what is very odd.

No Spurs fan has brought this up. You have read no doubt all the posts from people on hear, there thoughts on the game, their disappointments, how they feel, some angry, some upset, most proud and the odd one ranting that we are shit and bottlers. But at no point after the game did a single Spurs fan say a word about it.

It only gets bought up by a Juventus fan, followed by another Juve fan and then another, all specifically upset with what Poch has said, which as you can see he was responding to a direct question from a journalist on his thoughts following an article written in a French newspaper. Poch answered the question. But at no point have Juve fans stopped to ask why their owners/presidents are talking to a match official before and during the game. In fact you are all defensive about it, acting like Lance Armstrong when he was asked if he takes drugs.

I suspect you are very, very worried if there are repercussion from this. I suspect that given your match fixing past that you are thinking, ah fuck not again. So, just like Lance Armstrong you go on the attack to deflect any possible guilt. You haven't heard one Spurs fan moan about the unsportsmanlike behaviour of Allegri for not shaking Poch's hand at the end of the game in Turin, yet you lot are crying about him being unsportsmanlike like by answering a direct question from a journalist who spotted your owners behaving in an inappropriate way. When I've asked every single one of you Juve fans on this forum what are your thoughts on your owners actions, not one of you (including you) have answered the question. Unlike Poch when asked a question you've all responded like bitches, not one of you giving an opinion on it, either ignoring the question or still upset with the answer you are all ashamed to hear. Like I said odd.

So, i thought to myself “ahh we were beaten by the better team blah blah. We were done over by a very experienced juventus side so fair play. Im still proud of the team” but im still hurting from it. How is that even possible?

Honestly that loss has had a long lasting effect on me and it shouldnt. And i cant pick out why haha.
But it’s normal.
2 years we lost from Bayern Munchen( Pep)
2-2 in Turin , better Bayern and return in Germany with a great performance Juventus we were 0-2. Pogba and Cuadrado with “cost to cost “of Morata.
At 90+1 Müller 2-2 ( before Lewa) and collapse.
In those moments you think about bad luck (ok is important) but management is more important. Guardiola, always very field, looked like a general and his team followed him in action.
Pochettino ( repeat, a great coach) he was paralyzed after the changes of Allegri and scored of Higuain-Dybala.
How many direct matches wins every Premier?

Some fellow Spurs fans are saying the ref didn't lose us the game. Fair enough. We made mistakes for the Juve goals and we were unlucky not to score more. In that sense the ref was not to blame.

The referee did, however, fail to send Chiellini and Barzagli off. I think those two should have been off by the end of the first half or 60 minutes. That would have definitely limited Juve's ability to compete. When I say compete, I mean produce their negative, dirty, anti-football.

I don't know if the ref was influenced, but if any club is going to do it then Juve have the know-how.

I'll tell you what is very odd.

No Spurs fan has brought this up. You have read no doubt all the posts from people on hear, there thoughts on the game, their disappointments, how they feel, some angry, some upset, most proud and the odd one ranting that we are shit and bottlers. But at no point after the game did a single Spurs fan say a word about it.

It only gets bought up by a Juventus fan, followed by another Juve fan and then another, all specifically upset with what Poch has said, which as you can see he was responding to a direct question from a journalist on his thoughts following an article written in a French newspaper. Poch answered the question. But at no point have Juve fans stopped to ask why their owners/presidents are talking to a match official before and during the game. In fact you are all defensive about it, acting like Lance Armstrong when he was asked if he takes drugs.

I suspect you are very, very worried if there are repercussion from this. I suspect that given your match fixing past that you are thinking, ah fuck not again. So, just like Lance Armstrong you go on the attack to deflect any possible guilt. You haven't heard one Spurs fan moan about the unsportsmanlike behaviour of Allegri for not shaking Poch's hand at the end of the game in Turin, yet you lot are crying about him being unsportsmanlike like by answering a direct question from a journalist who spotted your owners behaving in an inappropriate way. When I've asked every single one of you Juve fans on this forum what are your thoughts on your owners actions, not one of you (including you) have answered the question. Unlike Poch when asked a question you've all responded like bitches, not one of you giving an opinion on it, either ignoring the question or still upset with the answer you are all ashamed to hear. Like I said odd.

1) Pochettino answers sarcastically about Agnelli’s question.
The Sun says:
“Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino admits Spurs must learn ‘massive lesson’ from Juventus about dark arts”.

2) If Kane scored 2-2 at 90 in off side ( the ball dance in the line...) I think that two macro errors are just too much for a team.
I do not say that the Spurs have conditioned the referee, I think the referee is a sucker and should go to referee in minor leagues.

I hope that Agnelli will not cross more referees so as to arouse stupid suspicions

Some fellow Spurs fans are saying the ref didn't lose us the game. Fair enough. We made mistakes for the Juve goals and we were unlucky not to score more. In that sense the ref was not to blame.

The referee did, however, fail to send Chiellini and Barzagli off. I think those two should have been off by the end of the first half or 60 minutes. That would have definitely limited Juve's ability to compete. When I say compete, I mean produce their negative, dirty, anti-football.

I don't know if the ref was influenced, but if any club is going to do it then Juve have the know-how.

It does not seem to me that the Spurs played lightly. You are very technical (Eriksen and Son exceptional talents) but when it comes to making a mistake you do not back down.

PS if he gave the penalty on Douglas Costa he also warned the defender.

1) Pochettino answers sarcastically about Agnelli’s question.
The Sun says:
“Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino admits Spurs must learn ‘massive lesson’ from Juventus about dark arts”.

2) If Kane scored 2-2 at 90 in off side ( the ball dance in the line...) I think that two macro errors are just too much for a team.
I do not say that the Spurs have conditioned the referee, I think the referee is a sucker and should go to referee in minor leagues.

I hope that Agnelli will not cross more referees so as to arouse stupid suspicions
So let me see, these are the options available to him when answering the question:
1. Refuse to answer it - Why would he do that given Juve actions are inappropriate, he doesn't owe you anything.
2. Answer directly - "Yes, I think it's a treble thing for an owner to be caught doing. Highly unsportsmanlike at best and bordering on illegal in the extreme.
3. Sarcastically - Making a point but by keeping it lighthearted the worlds media might not take it as seriously as they should. Also admitting that it's a weakness of Spurs that they didn't do the same, shows their own naivety game management were every tiny margin on and off the field should be found.
4. Or lie - And say he thinks this is how all owners should behave.

Given the options available you appear to be upset with the one that puts your club in the best possible light. Odd.

So let me see, these are the options available to him when answering the question:
1. Refuse to answer it - Why would he do that given Juve actions are inappropriate, he doesn't owe you anything.
2. Answer directly - "Yes, I think it's a treble thing for an owner to be caught doing. Highly unsportsmanlike at best and bordering on illegal in the extreme.
3. Sarcastically - Making a point but by keeping it lighthearted the worlds media might not take it as seriously as they should. Also admitting that it's a weakness of Spurs that they didn't do the same, shows their own naivety game management were every tiny margin on and off the field should be found.
4. Or lie - And say he thinks this is how all owners should behave.

Given the options available you appear to be upset with the one that puts your club in the best possible light. Odd.

5)He could simply say that he did not think it was appropriate for Agnelli to be there without making sarcasm.

It's ridiculous to talk about "black arts" after a match like that.

Back
Top Bottom