Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Imagine what would be being talked about had Agnelli just enjoyed his Chianti with his Pappa al pomodoro?

They’ll talked about the mafia, pizza and mandolino...

I would have understood controversy if there had been episodes against the Spurs but in this case everything is very sterile.

Spurs’s story in Europe in the last years ( CL and EL).

2010-11 - Champions League quarter-final exit to Real Madrid

2011-12 - Europa League group stage exit

2012-13 - Europa League quarter-final exit to Basel

2013-14 - Europa League last 16 exit to Benfica

2014-15 - Europa League last 32 exit to Fiorentina

2015-16 - Europa League last 16 exit to Borussia Dortmund

2016-17 - Champions League group stage exit; Europa League last 32 exit to Gent

2017-18 - Champions League last 16 exit to Juventus

You’re a beatiful team and you can grow until “top seats”.
Kane, Son, Eriksen, Dembélé , Dele Alli are top players.
But it’s necessary self-criticism.

An example: Antonio Conte has been fundamental for the Juventus rebirth. A real hammer.
In the international field, however, it was lacking. When we lost it was the fault of time, accidents, the short bench etc.
Allegri instead is a fox. Study your opponents until you discover every weak spot. Brings security to the players and convinces them to follow him.
Against the Spurs were missing before Matuidi- Cuadrado and after Mandzukic- Cuadrado and Bernardeschi with Higuain stopped from the match with Torino and Dybala from just 85%

I'll tell you what is very odd.

No Spurs fan has brought this up. You have read no doubt all the posts from people on hear, there thoughts on the game, their disappointments, how they feel, some angry, some upset, most proud and the odd one ranting that we are shit and bottlers. But at no point after the game did a single Spurs fan say a word about it.

It only gets bought up by a Juventus fan, followed by another Juve fan and then another, all specifically upset with what Poch has said, which as you can see he was responding to a direct question from a journalist on his thoughts following an article written in a French newspaper. Poch answered the question. But at no point have Juve fans stopped to ask why their owners/presidents are talking to a match official before and during the game. In fact you are all defensive about it, acting like Lance Armstrong when he was asked if he takes drugs.

I suspect you are very, very worried if there are repercussion from this. I suspect that given your match fixing past that you are thinking, ah fuck not again. So, just like Lance Armstrong you go on the attack to deflect any possible guilt. You haven't heard one Spurs fan moan about the unsportsmanlike behaviour of Allegri for not shaking Poch's hand at the end of the game in Turin, yet you lot are crying about him being unsportsmanlike like by answering a direct question from a journalist who spotted your owners behaving in an inappropriate way. When I've asked every single one of you Juve fans on this forum what are your thoughts on your owners actions, not one of you (including you) have answered the question. Unlike Poch when asked a question you've all responded like bitches, not one of you giving an opinion on it, either ignoring the question or still upset with the answer you are all ashamed to hear. Like I said odd.

I will just shortly repeat myself. It's brought up by Juventus fans because they read italian newspapers where you can read only short extracts from Pochettino's interview with no any reference to that he was questioned by the journalist and just had to reply. And no mention of previous article in French newspaper about which many Juve fans still don't know. So it reads like Pochettino just came to journalists and said: "Hey, we actually out of CL only because Juve hierarchy was in tunnel and was putting a pressure on referees". This is the angle from which italian (and not only italian) mass media prefer to show the situation. I tried to write on one Juve forum that listening to the FULL interview changes your understanding of Pochettino's words, but pre-conditioned by italian journalists fans don't even want to hear anything like this. unfortunately.

I saw poor referee decisions during the match, but they were poor for both sides. From Juve side we see more missing penalty (and following sent off of Verthongen) and Kane's header from offside, from your end you see Barzagli and Chiellini not receiving red cards. But I don't see the referee whistling only one way, so therefore I don't care much if Juve hierarchy or Spurs hierarchy is talking with officials in tunnel, though I'd prefer this doesn't happen.
OK, I admit, if Juve would be out that night and I heard about someone from Tottenham talking to the referee I would be suspicious and I hence understand your point of view. If Kane would not hit the post, but scored from the offside and it became decisive I would be even mad of Spurs putting pressure on referee.
Btw, I'm not thinking, ah fuck not again. I don't believe it will come again (haha, poor believer you will say :D). I don't think our president really put some pressure on the referee, but I would like not to see such episodes in future mostly because of how other people see it. To avoid any doubtful thoughts... And to not hear that Juve is master of playing off the pitch, that hurts.

As for Allegri... :) Yes, I also don't like his habit to go straightly and quickly to dressing rooms. And he does it even when Juve wins. It's strange, not good, but we have to live with it (

I don't know whether I answered like a bitch again, but I think you received at least one opinion, right? :)

They’ll talked about the mafia, pizza and mandolino...

I would have understood controversy if there had been episodes against the Spurs but in this case everything is very sterile.

Spurs’s story in Europe in the last years ( CL and EL).

2010-11 - Champions League quarter-final exit to Real Madrid

2011-12 - Europa League group stage exit

2012-13 - Europa League quarter-final exit to Basel

2013-14 - Europa League last 16 exit to Benfica

2014-15 - Europa League last 32 exit to Fiorentina

2015-16 - Europa League last 16 exit to Borussia Dortmund

2016-17 - Champions League group stage exit; Europa League last 32 exit to Gent

2017-18 - Champions League last 16 exit to Juventus

You’re a beatiful team and you can grow until “top seats”.
Kane, Son, Eriksen, Dembélé , Dele Alli are top players.
But it’s necessary self-criticism.

An example: Antonio Conte has been fundamental for the Juventus rebirth. A real hammer.
In the international field, however, it was lacking. When we lost it was the fault of time, accidents, the short bench etc.
Allegri instead is a fox. Study your opponents until you discover every weak spot. Brings security to the players and convinces them to follow him.
Against the Spurs were missing before Matuidi- Cuadrado and after Mandzukic- Cuadrado and Bernardeschi with Higuain stopped from the match with Torino and Dybala from just 85%
What does this have to do with Angelli remaining seated at he dinner table enjoying Tottenham Hotspurs hospitality?

I will just shortly repeat myself. It's brought up by Juventus fans because they read italian newspapers where you can read only short extracts from Pochettino's interview with no any reference to that he was questioned by the journalist and just had to reply. And no mention of previous article in French newspaper about which many Juve fans still don't know. So it reads like Pochettino just came to journalists and said: "Hey, we actually out of CL only because Juve hierarchy was in tunnel and was putting a pressure on referees". This is the angle from which italian (and not only italian) mass media prefer to show the situation. I tried to write on one Juve forum that listening to the FULL interview changes your understanding of Pochettino's words, but pre-conditioned by italian journalists fans don't even want to hear anything like this. unfortunately.

I saw poor referee decisions during the match, but they were poor for both sides. From Juve side we see more missing penalty (and following sent off of Verthongen) and Kane's header from offside, from your end you see Barzagli and Chiellini not receiving red cards. But I don't see the referee whistling only one way, so therefore I don't care much if Juve hierarchy or Spurs hierarchy is talking with officials in tunnel, though I'd prefer this doesn't happen.
OK, I admit, if Juve would be out that night and I heard about someone from Tottenham talking to the referee I would be suspicious and I hence understand your point of view. If Kane would not hit the post, but scored from the offside and it became decisive I would be even mad of Spurs putting pressure on referee.
Btw, I'm not thinking, ah fuck not again. I don't believe it will come again (haha, poor believer you will say :D). I don't think our president really put some pressure on the referee, but I would like not to see such episodes in future mostly because of how other people see it. To avoid any doubtful thoughts... And to not hear that Juve is master of playing off the pitch, that hurts.

As for Allegri... :) Yes, I also don't like his habit to go straightly and quickly to dressing rooms. And he does it even when Juve wins. It's strange, not good, but we have to live with it (

I don't know whether I answered like a bitch again, but I think you received at least one opinion, right? :)
Mate perfect answer and I agree with every word.

I think the ref was inconsistent with his bookings (both sides), although your you got very physical (which I have no problem with) early in 2nd half which did go unpunished with many of the fouls worse than the yellow cards hand out in the 1st half and all these fouls were against us by many of your players already on yellows. 100% you should have had a pen, 100% we should have had a pen and Kane was offside but we would have seen that as justice because Higuaine 1st goal in Turin was also offside. I don't blame the ref for not seeing the stamp, it was done deliberately when he know the ref couldn't see it. Over all the ref did NOT influence the game in favour of either team, he just could have been a lot better. Over both games both teams had decision go for or against depending on who you support, this is football.

The English media did EXACTLY the same thing with Chellini's post match comments, they all went with this;

Not one media outlet reported on his whole statement and missed what he said at the begging of the same interview: "Tottenham proved to be a great team. I think they are missing very little in becoming one of the best teams in Europe. A few years ago we were in the same place’.

The fact that the press all omitted his other comments has lead to a torrent of rival fans posting stuff like this as a consequence:
I'll be honest thats not a problem for me, but we have some immature and overly emotional fans who take this stuff at face value and start crying, which having to listen to them is worse than having to listen to the rival fans.

There is one very big difference, have you heard a single Spurs fan bitching about Chellini's comments given how they have been reported? Other than a quip about him losing in CL finals too, I think you will find the answer is no. He's still highly respected. Maybe our fans are not so knee-jerk as Juve's???

Jump to 3:00 for his take on Spurs following Juve defeat if you don't want to listen to the whole vid. I like that he is challenging the narrative around Juve and Spurs and I agree with it, as I've been banging on about it with our Juve friend in previous posts. Given his closeness to Poch re his book, I also like that he consistently talks about Levy, Poch and keeping players, everything he says is about the project being built rather than the one being broken up and sold off. I know that he is closer to Poch and his coaching staff than any Journalist there is, so unlike another I take what he has to say over and above any journalist (regarding Spurs).

I should see him over the next few months.

He’s always been clear that MP wants to stay at Spurs for quite a while.
Hopefully nothing changes that feeling of belonging he has with our club and fanbase.

He also has a huge amount of respect for the way he approaches not just football but life, and talking to him about Pochettino makes you realise how lucky Spurs are.

And also how grateful Pochettino is to be given this opportunity to build something at a footballing level by Daniel Levy.

I think the ref was inconsistent with his bookings (both sides), although your you got very physical (which I have no problem with) early in 2nd half which did go unpunished with many of the fouls worse than the yellow cards hand out in the 1st half and all these fouls were against us by many of your players already on yellows. 100% you should have had a pen, 100% we should have had a pen and Kane was offside but we would have seen that as justice because Higuaine 1st goal in Turin was also offside. I don't blame the ref for not seeing the stamp, it was done deliberately when he know the ref couldn't see it. Over all the ref did NOT influence the game in favour of either team, he just could have been a lot better. Over both games both teams had decision go for or against depending on who you support, this is football.

The English media did EXACTLY the same thing with Chellini's post match comments, they all went with this;

Not one media outlet reported on his whole statement and missed what he said at the begging of the same interview: "Tottenham proved to be a great team. I think they are missing very little in becoming one of the best teams in Europe. A few years ago we were in the same place’.

The fact that the press all omitted his other comments has lead to a torrent of rival fans posting stuff like this as a consequence:
I'll be honest thats not a problem for me, but we have some immature and overly emotional fans who take this stuff at face value and start crying, which having to listen to them is worse than having to listen to the rival fans.

There is one very big difference, have you heard a single Spurs fan bitching about Chellini's comments given how they have been reported? Other than a quip about him losing in CL finals too, I think you will find the answer is no. He's still highly respected. Maybe our fans are not so knee-jerk as Juve's???

"Tottenham prove to be a great team. I think they are missing very little in becoming one of the best teams in Europe. A few years ago we were in the same place.”

This is true!
The great team are built with great players, experience and spirit.
The Spurs has all.

An exemple ( indipendent) from Juventus and Tottenham

I remember a very low point in our recent history ( Fulham!!!).
we have grown year after year

Fighting Fulham destroy Juventus

FULHAM: Schwarzer; Kelly (26’ st Dempsey), Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Duff, Baird, Etuhu, Davies; Gera (40’ st Riise); Zamora. A disposizione: Zuberbhuler, Dikcagoi, Riise, Smalling, Nevland, Marsh-Brown. All. Hodgson.

JUVENTUS: Chimenti; Salihamidzic, Zebina, Cannavaro, Grosso (40’ st Del Piero); Camoranesi (7’ st De Ceglie), Felipe Melo, Sissoko; Candreva (28’ pt Grygera), Diego; Trezeguet. A disposizione: Pinsoglio, Poulsen, Marrone, Iaquinta. All. Zaccheroni.

ARBITRO: Kuipers (Olanda).

ESPULSI: 27’ pt Cannavaro, 45’ st Zebina.

AMMONITI: 12’ pt Camoranesi, 45’ st Konchesky, 47’ st Felipe Melo.

RETI: 2’ pt Trezeguet, 9’ pt Zamora, 39’ pt e 3’ st rig. Gera, 38’ st Dempsey.

I'm guessing you're 13 and only started to watch football recently.
No i’m Just not deluding myself that we have anything less than a lot of hard work to achieve anything. We have come a long way under Daniel Levy, however much more hard work is to be done before we can achieve what we all want to see from this squad, Wednesday’s game was not anywhere near that for me, but I guess you haven’t watched Spurs for very long.

No i’m Just not deluding myself that we have anything less than a lot of hard work to achieve anything. We have come a long way under Daniel Levy, however much more hard work is to be done before we can achieve what we all want to see from this squad, Wednesday’s game was not anywhere near that for me, but I guess you haven’t watched Spurs for very long.
Just since 1967.
You are confusing you being pissed off and hurting (we all are,) with an actual requirement to make wholesale changes in the team set up.
What we need are better full backs and Toby on board.
But we didn't lose through a lack of effort, application or teamwork.

It does not seem to me that the Spurs played lightly. You are very technical (Eriksen and Son exceptional talents) but when it comes to making a mistake you do not back down.

PS if he gave the penalty on Douglas Costa he also warned the defender.
Chiellini's and Barzagli's fouls warranted more than they got.
I'm comfortable being critical of our team, anyone on here will tell you that, but in this game we met a dirty club. It was a sad day for football.

One thing this highlighted for me was we say Toby, Jan and Moose are coming to the end as they are nearing 30.

Then I see how their defense performed. And remember how good Pirlo was well into his thirties.

We do play a higher line, yes. And I’m not equating Pirlo and Moose exactly. But these guys experience could be critical in the next 3-4 years. Am I the only one that can see Toby and Hugo screaming with passion at one another in a major match after a great Toby tackle?

I'm comfortable being critical of our team, anyone on here will tell you that, but in this game we met a dirty club. It was a sad day for football.
A sad day for football?
This is football: uncertainty until the end.
Can you know the bad of football?

Juventus of Lippi lost 3 final of CL versus:

-Borussia Dtm-Juventus 3-1 Borussia full of Juventus’s refuse Paulo Sousa, Julio Cesar ecc. Riedle ( Lazio’s refuse ) and Ricken ( young star never exploded). Sammer golden ballon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Real Madrid- Juventus 1-0 with Mijatovic offside. In Juventus team Zidane, Inzaghi , Davids, Del Piero, Deschamps

-Milan-Juventus after penalty with Del Piero, Davids, Thuram, Camoranesi, Trezeguet without Nedved. After elimination Super Deportivo, Barcellona and Real Madrid.

This is football

But have you see the sense of belonging to the team between Buffon - Chiellini - Barzagli? I want cloning!
Juventus renewed the contract a Barzagli for
to do training at Rugani and Caldara ( from Atalanta, a very good defender).
The exit of Bonucci was shock.
Bonucci said “ I or Allegri “ and at July the defense has been revolutionized.
Since Autumn Benatia played very well .
In the next year play: 2 beetwen Chiellini-Caldara- Rugani- Benatia

In center field we suffered against Spurs: we hope in Emre Can (0€) from Liverpool with Matuidi, Pjanic, Khedira, Marchisio, ecc.

Lietchsteiner and Asamoah are contract expiry but every time are profits.

I predict like every year Turn- Over

Well man, definitely your fans are not so knee-jerks as Juve's :D and it's just a matter of mentality. I'm neither Italian nor British, but work in the international background for years and all the time see these cultural differences.
Probably my experience with dealing with different nations from all over the world without any prejudice led me to your forum because I couldn't believe that Pochettino was trying to find out-pitch excuses .
I hope any possible Italian here will not be offended, but I know many of them and always surprised how impulsive they are. Even after 30-40 y.o. they still able to act as infants.:) and I think it will answer you last question )

I work with many nations as I said, but not much with UK unfortunately, so it's always a pleasure to read native speakers... so thank you for adding a "knee-jerk" to my vocabulary;)

Fact is we weren’t outclassed.
Fact is we are disappointed becuase we were the better team for all but about 25 mins over two ties.
This is Spurs who have had just 2 season of consistent CL football.
We are disappointed we didn’t beat Juventus
They are relieved they beat us.
We lost one game in 6 against Real, Dortmund and Juve.
We should be proud.
Woolwich always fail.
They have had decades of CL and still can’t win it.
Invariably getting whacked by a decent team, the first Juve, Real or BD , they come up against.

It’s no shame.
Make no mistake Juve weren’t sure they’d win.
That’s all talk.
They were scared they were going out and they are a bit fortunate we switched off.
Davies Tripper and Sanchez.
That’s our defence. Not exactly experienced as the Juve back line in CL.
Vertonghen is our most experienced and he’s had nowhere near the amount of CL experience as Sandro.

We have to keep going and become a consistent CL club before anyone talk about underachieving.
Let’s make sure we qualify this year and put it right in 18/19. In our own gaff.

Fact is we weren’t outclassed.
Fact is we are disappointed becuase we were the better team for all but about 25 mins over two ties.
This is Spurs who have had just 2 season of consistent CL football.
We are disappointed we didn’t beat Juventus
They are relieved they beat us.
We lost one game in 6 against Real, Dortmund and Juve.
We should be proud.
Woolwich always fail.
They have had decades of CL and still can’t win it.
Invariably getting whacked by a decent team, the first Juve, Real or BD , they come up against.

It’s no shame.
Make no mistake Juve weren’t sure they’d win.
That’s all talk.
They were scared they were going out and they are a bit fortunate we switched off.
Davies Tripper and Sanchez.
That’s our defence. Not exactly experienced as the Juve back line in CL.
Vertonghen is our most experienced and he’s had nowhere near the amount of CL experience as Sandro.

We have to keep going and become a consistent CL club before anyone talk about underachieving.
Let’s make sure we qualify this year and put it right in 18/19. In our own gaff.
We were scared because the Spurs played a top level football.

Allegri after the first game said that the qualification would be difficult. Being finalists of the previous year is not enough as a guarantee to keep going. He has beautifully managed a team with injuries and players recovering from injuries. It was clear: he said he saw the Spurs with humility.

Well man, definitely your fans are not so knee-jerks as Juve's :D and it's just a matter of mentality. I'm neither Italian nor British, but work in the international background for years and all the time see these cultural differences.
Probably my experience with dealing with different nations from all over the world without any prejudice led me to your forum because I couldn't believe that Pochettino was trying to find out-pitch excuses .
I hope any possible Italian here will not be offended, but I know many of them and always surprised how impulsive they are. Even after 30-40 y.o. they still able to act as infants.:) and I think it will answer you last question )

I work with many nations as I said, but not much with UK unfortunately, so it's always a pleasure to read native speakers... so thank you for adding a "knee-jerk" to my vocabulary;)

Where are you from? I like your comments.
You're right on many Italian supporters.
I’m italian ( from Umbria) and live in Genoa.

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom