Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea. 4.30 Sunday 19th September. EPL

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chelsea were in debt because they had rebuilt three quarters of the stadium.
Ken Bates knew exactly what him and the club were doing with their long-term plan - They were so broke they didn't even have a training ground or own the stadium. So, they had to get money in to invest in the team and attracted big name players long before RA arrived. Rebuild the slum stadium. Win trophies and make them ripe for a big takeover.
For sure it was a gamble, but it was one they had to take and it paid off. A case of speculating to accumilate.

Not at all like City, who were mid table shite, broke and had their stadium and everything handed on a plate to them having done zilch to deserve it.
Ok, not sure I agree as most I've seen was they were up shit creak prior to RA take over. but the point stands that they didn't overtake us prior to spending cash they were spending when they started winning pre RA.

Ok, not sure I agree as most I've seen was they were up shit creak prior to RA take over. but the point stands that they didn't overtake us prior to spending cash they were spending when they started winning pre RA.

So it's not ok for them to spend money and win, but it was always ok for us to spend more than them in the 3 decades before. Our wins when we spent more were more valid than theirs, right?

So my thoughts on yesterday……

9) We’re a long way behind Chelsea, that much is clear. Sadly that isn’t the measure for us at this moment in time. What we need to do is continue to setup and play as we did in the first half yesterday, and we’ll beat the Palaces of this world and start to accumulate points. It feels like it’s going to be a tough season, I’m ok with that it we can see reasons for optimism. They’re not there yet. Next weekend will be a real litmus test for just how much we need to worry right now.

Some good points, but sadly on this one I don't see it being so simple. Chelsea were open and allowed us to play the way we did in the first half, lesser teams will play more compact and harder to break through. This the the problem that has beset us since 2018, breaking down a packed defence.

Matt1882
So it's not ok for them to spend money and win, but it was always ok for us to spend more than them in the 3 decades before. Our wins when we spent more were more valid than theirs, right?
They surpassed us BEFORE abramovic.
They were playing with the likes of Ruud Gullit, Vilali, Zola, JFH while we had the likes of Chris Armstrong, Gary Doherty and plebs like Christian Gross in charge.
That all took place before they started buying success.
This statements incorrect, get over your bias and anger and stop replying to me unless you think they were not spending big pre RA

"That all took place before they started buying success"

Do you even understand what point you're trying to make?

You just don't accept Chelsea are beyond us and have been for a long time. You try to find reasons for it, but there isn't any other than they had ambition when we didn't.

I don't know, I'm not all that bothered about Sunday games.
I got home at 9pm last night and that was basically the end of my weekend. That's what I personally hate about Sunday games
...at least you get to enjoy Saturdays with a Sunday game....
had yesterday been SaTURDay, then Sunday would've been ruined into the bargain!

I don't mind the Sunday games that much, as Saturday becomes a kind of 'Christmas Eve' where you can watch all the other games/results come in (except the Arse one, obviously) without having the pressure of worrying about your own game first!

Last Saturday at Palace was WAY worse, as it then managed to screw up the ENTIRE weekend... at least last night we would have got home, moaned a bit, go to bed. End of weekend!

Do you even understand what point you're trying to make?

You just don't accept Chelsea are beyond us and have been for a long time. You try to find reasons for it, but there isn't any other than they had ambition when we didn't.
I've said they are beyond us, I have said they got there while spending loads of money while you said

"That all took place before they started buying success"

You are wrong and for whatever reason keep on trying to make me say something I hadn't. Let go of your bias and anger.

point to note Chelsea spent a load of money to overtake us short term and were going bankrupt just before Abramovich turned up and prevented them defaulting on a £75m loan, they literally won the lottery. They would be Leeds today if it wasn’t for him. Otherwise yes agree.
But how was it like winning the lottery if the debt they knew they would build up was all factored into the long-term plan which Ken Bates spoke to the press about in 1995?

Leeds had no plan beyond chucking money at staying in the CL.
As I've said, the Chelsea plan was a step by step process over a number of years to completely rebuild the club both on and off the pitch and set them up for a takeover.
Bringing in Hoddle started the ball rolling as it was his name and respect for his talent that was able to attract the likes of Rudd Gulllit, onto Vialli, Desailly, Zola, Gallas and co.

From the desperate state they were in 1995, no club in England had made more progress on and off the pitch than Chelsea did between1995-2003. That was not down to luck!

Yes it was down to luck, if we spent £1bn on players hoping to reach the top then at the top collapsed into debt like Leeds you wouldn’t call it prudent.

Abramovich was originally going to buy us not Chelsea before deciding he didn’t like the area and Chelsea would have gone into receivership and we would have been minted. That’s fate, Leeds did the same as Chelsea, one collapse, one got a lucky buy out.
I don't think it was the area that was the issue. More that they were already a CL club and had that guaranteed CL income stream plus a stronger base of players to build from. The year he bought the chavs we finished 10th so it would have needed a much larger investment in players to turn that around.

I think even with increased fitness levels, hoping that we can constantly maintain 100% max effort for 90 mins is asking too much.

We need to able to play well under different circumstances not only when we are going out much harder than the other teams.
I think the tactical changes from Tuchel had as much if not more to do with the issues in the 2nd half than fatigue did. The injuries also limited his ability to respond.

Obviously Romero/Lo Celso/Ndombele/Kane/others are not 100% fit and that played a large part in why the last 30 minutes were bad, but if we were a little bit sharper we probably convert one of the two big chances from the first half.

Forgot this by FT, but:

Can't recall who, but one of our players and one of the chavs gave each other a 'low 5' yesterday after some form of challenge/altercation..... IN A FUCKING LONDON DERBY.......... AGAINST THOSE CUNTS.

...Bunch of 'sporting', chummy bollocks during what aught to be a war.

Not. Fucking. On .

I think the tactical changes from Tuchel had as much if not more to do with the issues in the 2nd half than fatigue did. The injuries also limited his ability to respond.

Obviously Romero/Lo Celso/Ndombele/Kane/others are not 100% fit and that played a large part in why the last 30 minutes were bad, but if we were a little bit sharper we probably convert one of the two big chances from the first half.

What big chances?

We played better than we had but still created nothing and were the 2nd best team in that half.

Sky Sports pundit and former Manchester United defender Gary Neville was confused as to why some Tottenham fans booed their own team after the final whistle in their 3-0 London derby defeat to Chelsea in the Premier League.

Despite a great start to the game and a bright first-half performance for Spurs, opposition manager Thomas Tuchel turned the tide of the game at half-time and that caused multiple problems for Nuno Espirito Santo's side as they were steamrolled in the second half.

Goals from Thiago Silva, N'Golo Kante and Antonio Rudiger continued a poor run for Spurs - having lost to Crystal Palace in the league and drawing away in the Europa Conference Leagueagainst Rennes on Thursday.

Nine points from a possible 15 available in the league doesn't make for bad reading for a side that finished in 7th place last time out in the league.

However, it seems that expectations amongst the fanbase were raised significantly after the first three games and therefore the surprising scenes after the final whistle occurred.

Neville was the first to point this out post-match on his own podcast when he said: "I was surprised by the boos.

"Nine points out of 12 is a good start to the season and I thought they would have accepted that their team had done well in the first half and Nuno had them on the front foot.

"But they were playing against a top side in the second so that was my first immediate thought."

Hate Neville but he has played zero part in our shit show of a summer

That is all on us

Oh come on.... I know you hate the owners, but absolving Kane (inc. the Neville interview dropping a bomb during our run in!) & City of any blame is just not an honest & balanced take.

Back
Top Bottom