Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea. 4.30 Sunday 19th September. EPL

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is interesting to look at. This worked until the pace became too much and we started huffing and puffing. So there is a blue print here to build on. But improving the fitness levels and getting players like Kane and Tanguy to be able to press more consistently will be key.

Well he's clearly struggling for motivation right now. But he's also had plenty of other seasons where he was far from great and didn't score for 4, 5 or 6 games to begin with. I don't think we'll ever see the player he was previously in a Spurs shirt again. But I don't believe for a moment that he wouldn't still score goals given the service. He (and Son) are getting next to none currently.
That's probably a fair assessment.

I keep hearing about how good the first half was but did Kepa really get tested ? It sort of reminded me of a FA cup game where the underdogs do really well but in the end the better team comes out on top.

We need to face up to the fact that Chelseas squad at this point in time is a country mile ahead in depth and quality. Just ask yourself how many of Spurs starting 11 would be close to starting in Chelsea’s starting 11? I can think of one and that Son
It reminded me of that too.... 'Plucky little Tottingham' get drawn against the big boys...

but even with that there was no chance of an upset... at least the genuine 'smaller' clubs get to have that opportunity!

We really are caught between 2 stools (both of the shit kind) ...we're a big club, playing poorly, yet if we were a 'smaller club' able to raise its' game occasionally against the big boys (like Southampton do occasionally) we could go into these games with a no fear/nothing to lose attitude... ...we did it against City on day 1, so why not repeat the trick?

We have a big club 'mentality' (and stature, which equally big and smaller clubs LOVE to beat) with a mid-table/smaller club ability, which means we rarely do the same to clubs above us.... the two don't seem to mix!

Confused of Essex.

1) Possibly an excuse but maybe he is up to his “maximum speed “
2) He was making schoolboy errors . Far from sure he is a PL player. Some top players just can’t deal with the different demands of the PL
3) That was the managers decision.
4) So was Kante
5) So was Kepa.
6) An issue but only going to impact more as the season goes on

I keep hearing about how good the first half was but did Kepa really get tested ? It sort of reminded me of a FA cup game where the underdogs do really well but in the end the better team comes out on top.

We need to face up to the fact that Chelseas squad at this point in time is a country mile ahead in depth and quality. Just ask yourself how many of Spurs starting 11 would be close to starting in Chelsea’s starting 11? I can think of one and that Son
Exactly my thoughts.

It reminded me of that too.... 'Plucky little Tottingham' get drawn against the big boys...

but even with that there was no chance of an upset... at least the genuine 'smaller' clubs get to have that opportunity!

We really are caught between 2 stools (both of the shit kind) ...we're a big club, playing poorly, yet if we were a 'smaller club' able to raise its' game occasionally against the big boys (like Southampton do occasionally) we could go into these games with a no fear/nothing to lose attitude... ...we did it against City on day 1, so why not repeat the trick?

We have a big club 'mentality' (and stature, which equally big and smaller clubs LOVE to beat) with a mid-table/smaller club ability, which means we rarely do the same to clubs above us.... the two don't seem to mix!

Confused of Essex.
Not sure we can be considered a big club our mentality and or the way we operate are on a smaller level and we don't win anything to be relevant.
This is why our invitation to the ESL was a joke hopefully now with the team getting worse we would not be invited again that will teach levy.

I dunno I think he describes Chelsea quite well. After all they are the southern branch of the edl

It's pathetic hearing it. Football is what it is. The world of football is dripping with money so it hardly matters.
United, Liverpool and Leicester aren't owned by bent barrons, 2 of them have won league titles in very recent memory and one is doing everything it can to get back to winning titles.

It's actually embarrassing listening to 50+ year old Spurs fans who think it's still the early 80s and that Spurs matter and they Chelsea are a little yoyo club.

They surpassed us BEFORE abramovic.
They were playing with the likes of Ruud Gullit, Vilali, Zola, JFH while we had the likes of Chris Armstrong, Gary Doherty and plebs like Christian Gross in charge.
That all took place before they started buying success.

And let's be totally clear here, they have thrown about as much money at players as we have on a stadium. We now have a mountain of debt that will outlast ENIC as they have no desire to have it paid off as long as it can raise constant all year round revenue.

That's why Chelsea are now 10 years ahead of us. They've realised 10-20k extra seats and some posh boxes aren't gonna make anywhere near as much of an impact as winning the champions league and netting £150m in the process.

Was desperate to post after the game yesterday but felt it was best to take a breath.

GLC
Massive signing but for whatever reason he doesn't seem focused, he's not tough enough defensively and not tricky or controlled enough in attack. I know he's had injuries and multiple managers doesn't help but i've seen enough now – it's a real shame.

TANGUY
Flashes of his ability can be seen in every game but I found myself watching him, thinking back to Dembele and realising how unsuited to this league he is. I felt he really tried yesterday, and he actually put some good challenges in but he looks woefully unfit.

SERGIO
Such high hopes, more potential bombing forward than defending but way off Rose at his peak, he wasn't called back by RM and there's a reason for that. I actually feel Davies is a more rounded player.

DIER
Last season lots were calling for his head and wanted him gone, now there is less of that rhetoric which shows how far we have declined. The fact lots were hoping he would be fit for this game speaks volumes.

GIL
Is he a prospect or the finished article? If he has been bought as a prospect can we really expect him to come on and change a game of this magnitude? If we are expecting that then he would have cost more than £20m. We can't buy cheap and expect these players to suddenly boss the most competitive league in the world, certainly not surrounded by dross. He looks keen but I question his positioning, he looks incredibly easy to mark out of the game.

I could continue on the rest of the team but everyone has good and bad games and I just wanted to make my point on these four as they optimise where we are now:
  1. We seem neither a team in transition, or in the process of rebuilding – rudderless. I get the impression most of the fanbase and players are confused and don't buy into it.
  2. Giving a third or fourth choice manager a two year contract speaks volumes, what must everyone involved be thinking? Doesn't instil confidence and that's massive in football.
I've been following Spurs for 40 years. I'm very used to the ups and downs but I'm a realist, and knew this would be the case as we couldn't match the big boys with their resources. So the occasional cup run and decent season was ok. But yesterday, watching those teams line up in what is arguably the best stadium in the World, stupid expensive tickets, an exceptionally marketable product I felt sick. Sick knowing we have 'all the gear but no idea'. It's embarrassing.

It's taken fucking years to get my season ticket, over ten years and it's a massive amount of money to find. Also the time it takes away from a young family is huge, so when the players fail to show up, and the board take the piss out of the fans it sickens me. I'm left questioning is it worth the commitment?

I work in sports marketing and this product is a train wreck. If I worked with Spurs we would be dragging them across the table and giving them a very big dose of the truth. PR spin doesn't sort this.

My 8 year old daughter sat briefly with me to watch the game and at 0-0 she said "we're not very good are we?".

When an 8 year old can see it beggars belief

It's pathetic hearing it. Football is what it is. The world of football is dripping with money so it hardly matters.
United, Liverpool and Leicester aren't owned by bent barrons, 2 of them have won league titles in very recent memory and one is doing everything it can to get back to winning titles.

It's actually embarrassing listening to 50+ year old Spurs fans who think it's still the early 80s and that Spurs matter and they Chelsea are a little yoyo club.

They were playing with the likes of Ruud Gullit, Vilali, Zola, JFH while we had the likes of Chris Armstrong, Gary Doherty and plebs like Christian Gross in charge.

And let's be totally clear here, they have thrown about as much money at players as we have on a stadium. We now have a mountain of debt that will outlast ENIC as they have no desire to have it paid off as long as it can raise constant all year round revenue.

That's why Chelsea are now 10 years ahead of us. They've realised 10-20k extra seats and some posh boxes aren't gonna make anywhere near as much of an impact as winning the champions league and netting £150m in the process.
Very good post.

Also explains why the desperation to hang onto Son as for what he gives us in the overseas market as much as what he does on the pitch.

If Son had refused to sign the new contract, Levy would have been well and truly fucked.

They were buying success when they took over us, difference was pre Russian they were about to go bust because of it.

Was desperate to post after the game yesterday but felt it was best to take a breath.

GLC
Massive signing but for whatever reason he doesn't seem focused, he's not tough enough defensively and not tricky or controlled enough in attack. I know he's had injuries and multiple managers doesn't help but i've seen enough now – it's a real shame.

TANGUY
Flashes of his ability can be seen in every game but I found myself watching him, thinking back to Dembele and realising how unsuited to this league he is. I felt he really tried yesterday, and he actually put some good challenges in but he looks woefully unfit.

SERGIO
Such high hopes, more potential bombing forward than defending but way off Rose at his peak, he wasn't called back by RM and there's a reason for that. I actually feel Davies is a more rounded player.

DIER
Last season lots were calling for his head and wanted him gone, now there is less of that rhetoric which shows how far we have declined. The fact lots were hoping he would be fit for this game speaks volumes.

GIL
Is he a prospect or the finished article? If he has been bought as a prospect can we really expect him to come on and change a game of this magnitude? If we are expecting that then he would have cost more than £20m. We can't buy cheap and expect these players to suddenly boss the most competitive league in the world, certainly not surrounded by dross. He looks keen but I question his positioning, he looks incredibly easy to mark out of the game.

I could continue on the rest of the team but everyone has good and bad games and I just wanted to make my point on these four as they optimise where we are now:
  1. We seem neither a team in transition, or in the process of rebuilding – rudderless. I get the impression most of the fanbase and players are confused and don't buy into it.
  2. Giving a third or fourth choice manager a two year contract speaks volumes, what must everyone involved be thinking? Doesn't instil confidence and that's massive in football.
I've been following Spurs for 40 years. I'm very used to the ups and downs but I'm a realist, and knew this would be the case as we couldn't match the big boys with their resources. So the occasional cup run and decent season was ok. But yesterday, watching those teams line up in what is arguably the best stadium in the World, stupid expensive tickets, an exceptionally marketable product I felt sick. Sick knowing we have 'all the gear but no idea'. It's embarrassing.

It's taken fucking years to get my season ticket, over ten years and it's a massive amount of money to find. Also the time it takes away from a young family is huge, so when the players fail to show up, and the board take the piss out of the fans it sickens me. I'm left questioning is it worth the commitment?

I work in sports marketing and this product is a train wreck. If I worked with Spurs we would be dragging them across the table and giving them a very big dose of the truth. PR spin doesn't sort this.

My 8 year old daughter sat briefly with me to watch the game and at 0-0 she said "we're not very good are we?".

When an 8 year old can see it beggars belief
Surely now ENIC must see it's a wreck that many fans are disconnected from the club, team is second rate and without CL football I highly doubt large sponsorship will come knocking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom