Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea [CAPITAL ONE CUP FINAL]

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Q. What has to happen before you can loose a Cup Final ?
A. You have to get into the Final. ! Yo, it's that easy. That was a great little run in the minor domestic competition - Well done Tottenham Hotspur - Well done Us. A Wembley Final is a Wembley Final

I have resisted the urge to put anything on after yesterday but I think we acquitted ourselves well but I think we just got worn down in the match, their goal was fortunate but once we hit the second half there wasn't a lot of possession and despite the last 10-20 minutes where we were pushing hard against their parked bus we just didn't quite have enough.

I hate losing but I did sort of have the thought that they'd be out for revenge after the New Year's Day beating we handed them. we weren't destroyed by them we were stifled really, Chelsea are decent side and we gave them a good game and it just wasn't enough sadly.

We now have a league to focus on and it's not impossible for us to start consolodating a top 6 position and if we can shake that result off, maybe better. I thought Kane was working very hard but isolated and we all sensed our lack of depth up front when Soldado came on, we just don't have enough options to ask serious questions of top teams.

This is genuinely a team in transition and that means either you say this is going to better over the next couple of windows or conversely this is all Levy's fault for not investing in January on a striker. Someone else said on the podcast that they view this season as a 'free pass' where Pochettino can start getting things right and build a nucleus for the future and with the youth in the team you can see that argument, if we look at that view he has got us further quicker than expected, so now it's hard to feel that disappointed that we've gotten ahead of the curve but then beaten by a well established better resourced club, it just happens that the club are followed by a bunch of classless racists backed by crooked oil barron and that makes it feel worse than it should.

We should be proud of where we have got and reasonably optimistic about the future, now who wants a hug???

Had time to think about it this morning without Whiskey in the brain. Very proud of our team, we came to play football and Chavs came to park the bus and hit the long ball to Costa, One team played football and one did not and the one that did not play won unfortuantly.

Amazed that as cynical as Mourinho is even he went beyond his normal self and treated us like we were Barcelona and put 3-4 men on Kane as though Kane was Messi. My only criticism was our wide players who were the only given any space did not play well, Chadli and in particular Townsend were our worst players yesterday.

I guess in that respect Mourinho got it right by allowing our weaker players such as Townsend space and our stronger players such as Kane no space. This is a big learning curve for our young team and they will have learned just how cynical some teams can be, my conclusion is that we must keep the better parts of this squad together at all costs and get some better wide players.
You can see why we are linked with half the wingers in Europe...

Does anyone else feel that if we do miss out on the top 4 it would be better to miss out on the Europa League also?
I ask this because the EL has disrupted our season this time around and it's not the first time.

Does anyone else feel that if we do miss out on the top 4 it would be better to miss out on the Europa League also?
I ask this because the EL has disrupted our season this time around and it's not the first time.

I do. I know alot of people will say its better to be in another european competion than nothing. Fair enough. But IMO it just takes it out the team to play an extra 100 odd games.

I for one, would love to see how we get on in out quest for top 4 without playing every Thursday and Sunday. But, alas, I think it is obvious we are going to finish 5th, 6th or 7th so EL it is.

Agreed, I would love to miss the EL next year and go all out for the Prem, F.A and League Cup. Even if we get the EL I would rather we played the B team and youth players and not a single first 11 player gets used. We ain't winning it there are too many games, it's a waste of time.

I think it's too tempting to say that, I think we have a duty to go for Europa League because if we aspire to make Champions League we need a squad which can manage the volume of games.

There is a problem with EL, there are too many fixtures and it's not seen with any prestige, which means everyone sees it as a burden not something to really fight for, the fact that the winner gets a place in the Champions League is the clue, it's the competition no one really wants to be in. The first thing they should do is stop the CL drop outs going in to it.

I do. I know alot of people will say its better to be in another european competion than nothing. Fair enough. But IMO it just takes it out the team to play an extra 100 odd games.

I for one, would love to see how we get on in out quest for top 4 without playing every Thursday and Sunday. But, alas, I think it is obvious we are going to finish 5th, 6th or 7th so EL it is.

As a club we need then to make the strong deicison not to play any of the first 11 in any of the games, it will mean almost certain knock out in the group stages but it allow us to do better in domestic competitions.

I think it's too tempting to say that, I think we have a duty to go for Europa League because if we aspire to make Champions League we need a squad which can manage the volume of games.

There is a problem with EL, there are too many fixtures and it's not seen with any prestige, which means everyone sees it as a burden not something to really fight for, the fact that the winner gets a place in the Champions League is the clue, it's the competition no one really wants to be in. The first thing they should do is stop the CL drop outs going in to it.

For the EL to have any hope they need to stop the CL drop outs and also cut the overall games in half, then it might have a point, as such it's a burden.

well - we just qualified for it again, as Chelski won't be taking the league cup winners slot.
Yay!

well - we just qualified for it again, as Chelski won't be taking the league cup winners slot.
Yay!

I think in the case of the league cup, it means that the EL qualifiers go down from 5th to 5th & 6th positions. The FA Cup has the runner up in Europa League if the winner is already in an EL or CL position though I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

I think in the case of the league cup, it means that the EL qualifiers go down from 5th to 5th & 6th positions. The FA Cup has the runner up in Europa League if the winner is already in an EL or CL position though I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
Not sure - I hope you are right
I hope we make a CL slot - but failing that can somehow dodge the EL. I'm with Tomo on the "use the U21s" theory, if we get stuck with it again. Its tolerable up to Christmas, after that no-one wants to shit the domestic chances of CL qualification to commit to it.

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. We're nothing."
Bill Nicholson

Plus, European away days.

People moaning about EL mid-week games disrupting our season but they want us to qualify for the CL so we can play mid-week games again

:avbfacepalm:

I do. I would hope that we'd play a lot of youth team players in Europe, until we get to the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom