Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea [CAPITAL ONE CUP FINAL]

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only just pulled my head out my arse. Fell into a ticket about 2 hours before kick off and had some catching up to do which lead to being absolutely cunted by the time I got my train back at half ten.

Fuck the result, had a great day out. Atmosphere was superb outside the ground and in; even on the way out the singing carried on. Seriously wondered who they sold most of their tickets too because the Chelsea fans where invisible all day.

To be honest (and I don’t give a fuck if it makes us look “small time”) it was clear that it was a bigger occasion for us than them. And so it should be, it’s a Cup Final at “Wemberley”. Some student twat on my train back was moaning because it was only the league cup they’d won. Probably the same sort of cunt who cries at Christmas because daddy bought him the wrong colour sports car.

Oh and that “Everywhere we go” song needs to die a painful death. Fucking generic wank. Where were “My Eyes Have Seen the Glory” or “Grand Old Team”. How this is our most sung song now is a mystery to me, i hope it trends out as quickly as it has in.

Apologies to everyone here for the quick on-topic post..
what was the alternative?
Best 11 for the lot and watch us get steamrollered at Wembley because they were all knackered?
The cup final was always going to be the one that everything was geared towards.
Well it was never going to be easy and it's of course simple with hindsight, but I think at least the WH game was must-win for us, and the home leg v Fiorentina. I never really fancied our chances against the Chavs anyway so for me I would rather have progressed in Europe and the League even if it meant damaging our (already slim) chance of doing them in the Final.

I get why we did what we did, but at the end of it all we're winless in 5 games and have put ourselves out of 2 trophies and a Champions League place, which was/is the worst case scenario.

Easy big man.... sorry big men - thats my home town!!! and its fucking DOG shite

Don't you still have the charred remains of Dreamland, apparently re-opening soon. Been to Margate not nice then again it's better than my home town of Barking, at least you have the seaside, we just have Dagenham to look at. My girlfriend's dad's family is from Margate so made one or two trips to it, hopefully no more to come although Broadstairs was ok.

http://www.dreamland.co.uk/

Sorry, he's probably banned now and this is late, but I really don't get this response. Their one and only goal is to wind you up about the result, how can engaging them do you any favours?
To be honest i dont know but since he was a Woolwich fan and mostly posting gay Woolwich photos i was thinking about when we beat them this session meaning that i saw not sitting there thinking about chelsea lifting the trophy :)

Don't you still have the charred remains of Dreamland, apparently re-opening soon. Been to Margate not nice then again it's better than my home town of Barking, at least you have the seaside, we just have Dagenham to look at. My girlfriend's dad's family is from Margate so made one or two trips to it, hopefully no more to come although Broadstairs was ok.

http://www.dreamland.co.uk/

Woah me and Park Lane James aren't the only ones from Thanet?

Anyway now I've had time to reflect in a sober state, I don't think we can fault the teams performance too much they worked hard, dominated possession we just couldn't get beyond their defence once we had gone 1-0 down. Defensively we are lacking big time. Once we went 2-0 down we should have brought on Soldado as he was creating spaces that Kane, Eriksen, Chadli, Townsend, Dembele and Lamela all failed to do.

We are a work in progress, lets hope our heads drop and we push on now for a top 4 finish

COYS!!!

EL is boring for too long then all of a sudden we are out.

Couldnt care less is we make or or not. Id be equally happy to win the FA Cup next season and just concentrate on the PL. It royally fucked us last month to be honest, and the League Cup was my top priority anyway out of those games.

Last edited:
Woah me and Park Lane James aren't the only ones from Thanet?

Anyway now I've had time to reflect in a sober state, I don't think we can fault the teams performance too much they worked hard, dominated possession we just couldn't get beyond their defence once we had gone 1-0 down. Defensively we are lacking big time. Once we went 2-0 down we should have brought on Soldado as he was creating spaces that Kane, Eriksen, Chadli, Townsend, Dembele and Lamela all failed to do.

We are a work in progress, lets hope our heads drop and we push on now for a top 4 finish

COYS!!!
Me also - mothers family from Broadstairs. Lived there on and off over the years. Almost old enough to be a resident now (I think the min age is still set at 60 ;))

This is the first chance I've had to get on-line since the final, so apologies for not reading all the posts. Yes the result was disappointing but fantastic support throughout the game. We didn't have much luck, and that's all I want to say really. Hang on there was one thing - say Gary Mabutt on the ramp up to the turnstiles, he got totally mobbed but what a lovely guy, he was so patient with people taking selfies.

I had 100% forgotten that Dembele hadn’t played in this final.
27 years old should be at his peak and Bentaleb and Mason picked in front of him.
Although Eriksen as an AM played instead of him, he had just turned 23.

So think at the time Poch still trying to figure out how to get the best out of him in his first season as spurs manager.

Then Poch turned him from a player who had done ok at Fulham to the man nearly every member of the Spurs squad between 2016-2020 when asked says he’s the best player they ever played with. Trippier being the latest.

Makes you think.

Well it made me think!!

27 years old should be at his peak and Bentaleb and Mason picked in front of him.

So think at the time Poch still trying to figure out how to get the best out of him in his first season as spurs manager.

Then Poch turned him from a player who had done ok at Fulham to the man nearly every member of the Spurs squad between 2016-2020 when asked says he’s the best player they ever played with. Trippier being the latest.

Makes you think.

Well it made me think!!

It was ridiculous that Townsend started over Lamela too.

Remember walking out at Wembley after the game to get the train and Chelsea fans was already at the station before us.

If only we had won this one, it might have sparked a winning mentality. What made it worse, we had well and truly thumped them on NYD.

This game was a sign of things to come under Pochettino really wasn't it?

A lot of promise, but nothing when it matters.

Just a few years later, we met Chelsea in the semi final of the FA Cup after we had beat them in the league a few months prior, pretty easily too..... only to lose 4-2.

The following year? We met Man Utd in the semi final of the FA Cup months after we had beaten them in the league quite comfortable, at Wembley too..... lost 2-1.

Like you say, before this cup final, we decimated Chelsea 5-3 in the league. We didn't get near them in this final.

Makes you think.

Well it made me think!!
I don’t think Poch turned him into anything, he just fell out with Bentaleb and played Dembele

I don’t think Poch turned him into anything, he just fell out with Bentaleb and played Dembele
That pair of Mason and Bentaleb could easily be our weakest midfield 2 among those seasons.
Poch eventually turned Dembele to a real Beast in 15/16. I remembered Poch played him at right midfield may be in the first match against MANU. Then somehow he started playing Dembele in the CAM position while Alli was playing in the CM of the double pivot.

Back
Top Bottom