Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool | Sunday 19 Dec | 16:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were both weakened to a similar degree (except we had many players whom were still potentially recovering from covid; whereas theirs weren't even in the squad); so when you consider the percieved strength of the respective clubs right now I think any plaudits are thoroughly justified,.

Won't disagree, but they were missing what is probably their best midfield three. Always said that Liverpool are a poorer side without Henderson. He more than anyone gets them going.

Won't disagree, but they were missing what is probably their best midfield three.

.....And we were forced to field 3 misfits in MF that most wanted sold in Jan.

+ Sanchez who many also want gone.
+ Sess who most had given up on 2/3 weeks ago.
+ A bunch of them had Covid 10 days ago.
+ We'd barely trained.

Always said that Liverpool are a poorer side without Henderson. He more than anyone gets them going.

Sorry mate; not having it. Stop with the excuses for them. We had it worse.

Mane, Jota, Salah, Firminho, TAA, Robertson, Milner, Keita, Matip, Alison, their fancy new CB who cost a fair few bob....

The only caveat against their XI was Milner (who's still a top pro and a good player) and a 19yr old who's played just as much as (maybe more than) Sessengon this season.

Last edited:
Ndombele wasn't outstanding by any stretch but showed exactly what he's capable of when played in his ideal position, setting up the first goal with a great through ball in that inside right channel. That's exactly the type of move we saw a lot of Lyon.

He did virtually nothing else though.

Alli fucked away some great situations/chances but at least got into those positions - which I think is easier to do and more dangerous when ghosting in from the deeper L8 position than when you have Moura trying to head down dribble his way through 8 people with the ball as a WF. You could equally have Lo Celso in the Alli position, Skipp/Hojberg in the Winks position and it could still function. Winks possibly had one of the better games he's had in a Spurs shirt, certainly with the ball at least. Some of his passing was really incisive.

Assist aside; Ndombele was the worst of the 3. I'm not against 352... I advocate for a 3 man MF...... But your proposal takes away all that whats good about today's MF. Comes back to what I was saying before; Skipp isn't Kante and even if he was, Kante still has hard working players around him..... Ndombele & Gio just ghost about and have the odd moment here and there.

I challenged you before (but you seemed to decline); name me one EPL MF that is set up with 1 x DM + 2 x luxury players as #8 and is relatively successful....?

Which neither of TN nor GLC can be relied upon to do. They'll often have Gundoghan as one of the #8s instead too though.

Pep has got all 3 of his MF tracking and covering lots of ground.... All his players work like crazy.

Again; can't be trusted to though.... Especially not consistently.

.....Only with the right mentality, but unfortunately..... (Yeh, you know the rest. :( )

Agreed on that part, but once again the willingness to put a shift in IS there as a pre-requisite (Pep ain't picking you otherwise).

I know it was the dream when we signed them but 3 years later it's all too obvious that a MF of:

Ndombele / DM / Gio

.......Is just hanging the DM (and possibly the WB and or CBs too!) out to dry.

I think TN and GLC could press, if they were motivated. Pressing mostly comes from hard work on the training ground and a coach who the players buy in to. Most players don't arrive at clubs pressing machines, they're coached that way. It may be that neither of the aforementioned pair really fancy it under Conte (or at all) but it's well within their ability as athletes.

So hey, maybe further down the line we'll all be shocked and they'll both be pressing like mad and Conte's favourites .. I do doubt it, though.

I think TN and GLC could press, if they were motivated. Pressing mostly comes from hard work on the training ground and a coach who the players buy in to. Most players don't arrive at clubs pressing machines, they're coached that way. It may be that neither of the aforementioned pair really fancy it under Conte (or at all) but it's well within their ability as athletes.

So hey, maybe further down the line we'll all be shocked and they'll both be pressing like mad and Conte's favourites .. I do doubt it, though.
GLC can't press?

What?

GLC can't press?

What?

I didn't say he can't press. There is a difference between just running around like a headless chicken and effective pressing as part of a unit which requires good coaching, though.

The issue for Lo Celso there is that he spends far too much time on the treatment table or with Argentina.

Maybe I haven't followed this thread closely enough to realise if this is a sarcastic comment - but for me we were missing half of our outfield 'best xi'.

One of our biggest complaints as a Spurs community has been our lack of investment in real squad depth. We had to pluck half the starting outfield players from that 'depth' and out played a Liverpool side missing 3-4 of theirs? They have a far better starting xi and overall squad investment than us.
Ye dont have to follow it too closely to realise who not to engage with

Maybe I haven't followed this thread closely enough to realise if this is a sarcastic comment - but for me we were missing half of our outfield 'best xi'.

One of our biggest complaints as a Spurs community has been our lack of investment in real squad depth. We had to pluck half the starting outfield players from that 'depth' and out played a Liverpool side missing 3-4 of theirs? They have a far better starting xi and overall squad investment than us.
I mean... you're right in that we were missing players but...

They were missing Thiago, Henderson, VVD, Fabhino...

We were missing PEH, Regi, Skipp, Lucas...

I get that but I think people are misinterpreting my point.

My point is that this game doesn't change the fact that we still need massive investment to be real contenders in the league. We are literally one Heung Min Son injury away from being a mid table team.

I would have agreed with you pre Conte, but since his arrival I believe we are turning in to a proper team rather than any old 9-10 players hoping Son & Kane will sort out the goals.

Although I agree we need investment in the squad, to be properly competitive we also need that team ethic.

We have seen goals from Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Son, Lucas & Kane in Conte's 5 league games - but importantly have been seeing legitimate goal threats from all over the team, including CBs.

So to be real contenders in terms of challenging the 80+ point mark (title challenge if the top teams are below par) yes we need serious investment - but to challenge for top 4.. we are probably only 2-3 players short with the right manager as the bar isn't really that high. Often teams are crawling over the line to 3rd or 4th place. The media like to suggest the quality required for top 4 is as significant as the reward of Champions League football - but that isn't true.

Klopp "Spurs won the ball deep in their own half they just kicked it as far as possible"

Match statistic - Spurs long balls played 57 - Liverpool long balls played 64

Guess the 'professional' football journalists missed that, too busy sucking Klopp cock.
There’s something in the water up there

a28d503b374cdd84b295180ff603fd7f.jpg
Kanes was a leg breaker. Robertsons was a tackle. And whats the 3rd pic? To show robertson was ok to neary break royals leg

This is part of a poorly thought backlash to the pen that Fulham conceded to us - I think.

The fact is, that he handled it and retained possession due to the handball, whether it was an accident is immaterial, he profited from the handball, so it should be given as a foul and a free kick.

Similarly, the foul on Winks in their penalty area was just as much of a foul as the Jota incident. Jota played for the foul, anywhere else on the pitch and he would have fought for the ball. Not sure why that was glossed over by jenas and Shearer, whilst they eviscerated Kane
You are sure. Agenda.

Back
Top Bottom