Tottenham Hotspur vs. RCD Espanyol 10.8.13, 17:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good turnout from 1882 to be fair, better than I thought, Lane basically full and generally in good spirits as you expect. Need CB and LB badly, even if Kaboul did come on. Good to see him and Sandro back, massive receptions.

Personal favourite: fuck off StubHub, you're not welcome here!

Good turnout from 1882 to be fair, better than I thought, Lane basically full and generally in good spirits as you expect. Need CB and LB badly, even if Kaboul did come on. Good to see him and Sandro back, massive receptions.

This game surprisingly after last week actually relieved my concerns at CB and LB. Think Capoue was a good pickup for potential CB cover in lieu of Dawson and Kaboul's situations being better than was generally perceived. Rose did quite well in linkup with Chadli, was happy to see it. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Coentrao, especially at the price we could get him for, but I'd much rather we spent those funds on that CAM we have a severe need for.

I also feel like the way AVB has us playing relies heavily on playing at a high tempo like we did in the early part of this game. When the pace slows down we start to struggle for ideas and no one really exhibits enough creativity or trickery to make the difference.

Strangely Walker of all people was the exception today, he was trying all kinds of shit and pulling a decent amount of it off too. If he had scored on that one run through the middle...

:avbshock:

While I completely agree with you on the first part, I disagree on Capuoe being the final piece despite how valuable of an acquisition I think he is. I would be content with him sliding into the middle to push Dembele forward to CAM, but I'd be elated to see Eriksen or Pjanic brought in or Holtby to succeed.

I meant a new creative attacking central player would be the final piece of the puzzle I just didn't articulate myself well. Not sure who tbh but I'd be interested in seeing Holtby get a run there, see if he's up to the challenge. It was only one friendly though so we'll have to see how the first few competative games pan out.

I don't think Holtby is the answer for an AMC (whatevs, you know what I mean by using that acronym). He's stated himself his preferred position is running things from further back in central midfield.

All the more reason we need to keep Bale if we stick to 4-2-3-1 otherwise we need to switch to 4-3-3 in which we have more depth. I think it says a lot that having played 4-2-3-1 Sigurdsson played 90 minutes and Chadli wasn't substituted with a like for like.

For me the biggest problem I saw today is that we still have a glaring hole at CAM. I like Siggy, but feel he's more dangerous on the wing. We need that sub six footer with excellent touch and vision. We're strong in the back and in CDM and now strong in the attack, but there's just not someone there who can link it all up. If Holtby can do the job when he returns, that's great. But Siggy cannot do it and if we're to have a far smoother fight for top four or even have a shot at the title, this must change.
We need that creator. With that addition I feel we could go toe to toe with anyone in Europe.

Yeah... I really liked the general look and set up of our team ...
The new signings looked immense. :avblol:
The only problem was the glaring point that Cahspur stated.

I was, quite frankly, dissapointed with Siggy ... The main problem was his lack of incentive and eagerness to shoot. Although his linkup with Soldado was alright ... he didn't seem to want to pull the trigger when he got into great spaces. And he didn't have that CAM creativity to make up for that problem.

But the reason we have this problem is because of Gareth Bale. If he played today we wouldn't have any such problem. Even if he played on the wing alongside with Siggy in the middle ... the problem would still be reduced because Bale would have balanced the front 4 and would have made up with his shooting ability.

I really want Holtby to have a go in the position that Siggy played.
If Bales stays ... then great ... problem solved.
But if he goes, we need to fix this problem with either a suitable CAM or have an inverted winger to balance Chadli/Siggy on the LW ... such as ... Lamela.

Singh I agree with you for the most part, but I feel Bale is a patch over the CAM problem, not a solution. I saw somewhere that AVB does not rate Eriksen while Baldini does. If true it's the first stance I've ever thought AVB was batshit over. Eriksen has world class touch, vision, and has the balls to shoot if he has a good look on goal. This combination with Bale's threat from cutting in and his ability to shoot would be disastrous for opponent defenses. Eriksen tore City to shreds in the Champions League last fall, and I'd love to see him do so for us.

Singh I agree with you for the most part, but I feel Bale is a patch over the CAM problem, not a solution. I saw somewhere that AVB does not rate Eriksen while Baldini does. If true it's the first stance I've ever thought AVB was batshit over. Eriksen has world class touch, vision, and has the balls to shoot if he has a good look on goal. This combination with Bale's threat from cutting in and his ability to shoot would be disastrous for opponent defenses. Eriksen tore City to shreds in the Champions League last fall, and I'd love to see him do so for us.
Oh yeah ... Eriksen would definitely be the perfect fit for that CAM position.
He's the ideal CAM player ... creativity and goals.
I really hope Jan could put a good word out.

But unfortunately, if Bale stays I doubt we would get him. Well, at least not until next summer or the January window. This is becuase we already have spend near 50 million GBP.
If Bale goes, there is a chance.

That's why I think Bale holds the key to almost every problem in our team right now.

Personal favourite: fuck off StubHub, you're not welcome here!
Yeah, it didn't appear the stewards were too happy with our singing about Stubhub. The tika tape was great, just got home and realised I traveled the whole way with newspaper in my hair.

Note: bring easy to put on shoes, it took me 5 minutes to get my shoes back on after the obligatory 'shoes off if you love Tottenham.'.

If the rumors are true that we actually put in a bid for Pjanic, I'm hoping that it was because he is first choice between AVB and Baldini for the position. I'm hoping they wanted to give it a shot and see how Roma would react. Now the supposed bid of 17.5 mil for Pjanic was the close to the number being touted about in January for Eriksen. I'd like to think hypothetically that AVB agreed to go after Eriksen with that allotment under the condition it was shot towards Pjanic first. Would love for this to be correct.

I'll start by saying I missed the first 15 minutes. everyone is saying how well Paulinho did, I can't say the same. I, personally, didn't see him do much at all. I can't say he played well, nor played badly, just didn't see him do much anything. I thought Dembele played fantastic. I thought walker, chaldi, Dawson, and soldado all played very well. I thought siggy had a very nice game. I think siggy is our man in the CAM role. He has the potential to be great and having Bale on one side and Lennon or Chaldi or Townsend on the other is only going to give more space and time to Siggy. When he does get open space he has a rocket of a shot and he showed it last season. Everyone critizing Siggy for not pulling the trigger is speaking of one instance in this one game. He showed the second half of last season that he will pull the trigger, and he can hit from long distances.

probably a little biased... I have a mancrush on Siggy.

^ Could not disagree with you more about Siggy. He's not awful, but he's also not enough. Would like to see him rotate both in the league and cups with Chadli out on the left wing, because as of right now and especially with the loss of Dempsey it's not a deep position. I thought it was clearly where Siggy performed at his best last year.

Siggy does not fit well with the road spurs have been going down over the last few seasons which is fast counter attacking football, players with good physical strength also. He lacks in those 2 areas. but he is technically good but that's not enough. Just like Huddlestone.

Back
Top Bottom