Tottenham Hotspur vs. RCD Espanyol 10.8.13, 17:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me the biggest problem I saw today is that we still have a glaring hole at CAM. I like Siggy, but feel he's more dangerous on the wing. We need that sub six footer with excellent touch and vision. We're strong in the back and in CDM and now strong in the attack, but there's just not someone there who can link it all up. If Holtby can do the job when he returns, that's great. But Siggy cannot do it

Absolutely spot on

I was at the match in Paxton Lower. Had to try and keep the singing going as most people don't bother.

Stand up if you hate Woolwich ... on my own I 'spose... I tried !

Good to see the new boys.

• Soldado looks like a beast and has a great first touch. Always looking for space.
  • It was hard to get an idea of Chadli's potential. Got hold of the ball a few times although it come to nothing in most cases.
  • Paulhinio had some good touches on the ball. Kept looking for the wings which was nice. Rose kept steaming up and down the left which was also nice to see.
I agree with the centre attacking mid. comment. Would be nice to see Lewis take over that role with what we've got. I don't think Paulhinio will fill that role as he offers else where on the pitch.

Great with Sandro and Younes coming back. Looking a bit stronger at the back if we can keep them fit. If we lose one to injury we might have a problem as we did last year. I only see Dawson, Kaboul and Vertonghen at C.B. Fryers looked fresh at the back mind you.

It was a positive game, although the second half dragged.

As with most friendlies the kids, mums and dads came out and everyone always expects a 3/4 - 0 match, otherwise its boring.

I would rather see some competition than a walk over, especially with a week to go.

COYS

I think Siggy hasn't quite fit in with the way we played under AVB yet. But it's just been pre-season so we have to wait and see what actually happens over the first few games of the season to assess whether he now fits or not. One major factor is going to be whether Bale stays or not, because so much of how we play is built around him. If he were to go then the shape of the team could change and Siggy could suddenly click more. We'll have to see.

I was at the match in Paxton Lower. Had to try and keep the singing going as most people don't bother.

Stand up if you hate Woolwich ... on my own I 'spose... I tried !

Good to see the new boys.

• Soldado looks like a beast and has a great first touch. Always looking for space.
  • It was hard to get an idea of Chadli's potential. Got hold of the ball a few times although it come to nothing in most cases.
  • Paulhinio had some good touches on the ball. Kept looking for the wings which was nice. Rose kept steaming up and down the left which was also nice to see.
I agree with the centre attacking mid. comment. Would be nice to see Lewis take over that role with what we've got. I don't think Paulhinio will fill that role as he offers else where on the pitch.

Great with Sandro and Younes coming back. Looking a bit stronger at the back if we can keep them fit. If we lose one to injury we might have a problem as we did last year. I only see Dawson, Kaboul and Vertonghen at C.B. Fryers looked fresh at the back mind you.

It was a positive game, although the second half dragged.

As with most friendlies the kids, mums and dads came out and everyone always expects a 3/4 - 0 match, otherwise its boring.

I would rather see some competition than a walk over, especially with a week to go.

COYS

I know this sounds ridiculous having only seen him play a few times but I'm not really sure what Chadli is going to bring the team, he's almost like Siggy all over again, good technique and got some tricks but doesn't have the pace to beat a man and isn't really the type of player I think we are really missing in the Mata/Cazorla mould.
That's probably being very harsh but I am just not seeing much there to suggest he will be a big player for us.

I know this sounds ridiculous having only seen him play a few times but I'm not really sure what Chadli is going to bring the team, he's almost like Siggy all over again, good technique and got some tricks but doesn't have the pace to beat a man and isn't really the type of player I think we are really missing in the Mata/Cazorla mould.
That's probably being very harsh but I am just not seeing much there to suggest he will be a big player for us.
He's faster than Dembele according to belgians and with nearly the same strength and they have similar dribbling abilities... hmm not able to go past a man...

He's faster than Dembele according to belgians and with nearly the same strength and they have similar dribbling abilities... hmm not able to go past a man...
He definitely has similar dribbling ability/style to Dembele but seemed to struggle to beat his man and drive play on, there were quite a few occasions where he lost possession easily where as Dembele seems to have the strength of 10 men meaning he hardly ever gets tackled. I dunno I'm just not really sure I see him as a wide player as he was today.

Although I think Willian is too expensive unless Bale goes, could he be that CAM that is missing or is he more of a winger? I love Sigurdsson and think he still has an important role in our squad, but I agree with what @ cahspur cahspur said about needing that smaller, more instinctive player in that role.

Last edited:
He definitely has similar dribbling ability/style to Dembele but seemed to struggle to beat his man and drive play on, there were quite a few occasions where he lost possession easily where as Dembele seems to have the strength of 10 men meaning he hardly ever gets tackled. I dunno I'm just not really sure I see him as a wide player as he was today.

Just watch some videos of him on YouTube, he definitely can beat his man!

Overall, a successful exercise. Great performance, especially for the first 40 mins. Generally played with a nice tempo and good atmosphere.

Soldado got a goal for his confidence. Paulinho impressed. Chadli and Siggy showed some skills. Lennon, Walker, and Rose seem to be at full pace. Dembele looks ready, etc, etc... the only obvious issue is the defence from set pieces, but that can be worked upon and Dawson, Kaboul and Sandro are now back to help out.

Other positives include not losing 5-0 and not winning 5-0. Also worth mentioning Townsend looked sharp for his 3rd consecutive sub appearance. Hopefully Bale, Holtby, and maybe even Ade were watching and seeing how they could fit in. They could all do the CAM position well depending on the situation.

We have planty of pace in the team and for about 80% of our league games it means nothing as we are camped in the opposition half trying to work the ball through 11 men. #tekkers

Dembele has been in England for years Chadli hasn't even played one match yet. Hows about you give him abit to settle before you write him off yeh

IF Bale stays I think i'd rather him play RW rather than in a CAM role, purely because when he does play there we tend to base our style of play around him and I think Soldado woudn't benefit from this system, much prefer him on that wing where he can slide balls across the six yard box..

I still think Holtby's the answer to our lack of creativity, from what I saw of the u21 tournament he has great vision, I just think he maybe overtried last season and that side of his game suffered as a result..

IF Bale stays I think i'd rather him play RW rather than in a CAM role, purely because when he does play there we tend to base our style of play around him and I think Soldado woudn't benefit from this system, much prefer him on that wing where he can slide balls across the six yard box..

I still think Holtby's the answer to our lack of creativity, from what I saw of the u21 tournament he has great vision, I just think he maybe overtried last season and that side of his game suffered as a result..
Yeah ... it sure is worth the try
However, the sad thing is that because of the injury that Holtby picked up ... it meant lack of preseason training and preseason matches.
I really hope not ... but this will surely affect his performance at the start.
I just really wanted to see what he could have done after a full preseason behind him, but unfortunately that is not the case anymore.

Thought it was a cracking first half, at one point I was thinking who the fuck needs Bale.The early attempts at zonal marking show that it needs a bit more work, although it seemed more secure with Kaboul. Got a bit teary when he came on to a fantastic reception, Sandro too. Nice to find out that it is physically possible for us to get a penalty and have a player who can actually convert it.

Only got to see some of the game yesterday, two birthday parties. Got it recorded so will be looking at it today. Good to see Soldado getting a goal and by what I have read the others did ok. Good to read Sandro got back into a Spurs shirt.

Dembele has been in England for years Chadli hasn't even played one match yet. Hows about you give him abit to settle before you write him off yeh
That's a fair point and I did say I was probably being harsh.
Just looking at the way he plays I'm not sure I see him as a winger.

Back
Top Bottom