Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Want to win.
Not bothered if we lose.
Exactly this mentality!

Weirdly, everyone is bemoaning the fact it's a competition we either don't want to win, or won't win, well you know what? surely that takes some pressure off a win-at-all-costs outlook, and we can loosen the shackles and actually enjoy the game. It's still another European night under the lights, (albeit not the highest profile game) but one we can still celebrate if we win, rather than worrying about the doom and gloom implications if we don't!

I'm viewing it as a slightly more competitive pre-season game/or final game of the season, when there isn't really anything TOO drastic to play for!!

Get through, great, go out, no major damage caused.

Vitesse at home was a great laugh (especially as it was Conte's first game) loved the feeling of the pressure of having to win being off for once!

If we lose, which we might, I want Conte to come out and say;

"We had a meeting about where our priorities lay, and we decided that domestic was more important than European this year. We wanted to be able to focus more on training and improving, which is more difficult when we have to keep travelling abroad and changing the team to meet the demands"

I've no issue with us going out, but we can't have a scenario where we're being mocked for it.

"We had a meeting about where our priorities lay, and we decided that domestic was more important than European this year. We wanted to be able to focus more on training and improving, which is more difficult when we have to keep travelling abroad and changing the team to meet the demands"

I've no issue with us going out, but we can't have a scenario where we're being mocked for it.
If Conte makes the right team selections it will be obvious that we want out.

With Nuno I wanted to win this because top 4 was impossible. With Conte I say get out of this pointless competition and go for fourth.

Could result in them playing a weaker starting eleven though, which could be useful.

Not sure how I feel about this game now, considering we're starting to do ok in the league.

Think it's one I want to win, but I'll quickly get over it if we don't win or progress from the group.
I desperately want us not to qualify

Conte will want to win this, it's all about building a winning mentality.

Absolutely no way someone like him will throw the match or play a team who is perceived as a weakened team especially after Mura.

Absolutely no way someone like him will throw the match or play a team who is perceived as a weakened team especially after Mura.
Let’s hope Vitessee give Mura a smack down then 👍

Lo Celso has been out injured - no idea if he's back.

TBH I'd be tempted to play Harvey White in place of Ndombele who doesn't put much effort in, plus White can play as a DM or CM depending on how Conte wants to set the team up .
What’s wrong with Lo Celso now?

Come back Coco all is forgiven

That’s not the way Conte works, you could see how upset he was after Mura. He wants to win every game. I’m sure he’d rather have a trophy to compete for than more time on the training ground.

As a club we have got to stop being OK with losing. I think we are going to go out because some of our key players won’t be able to play 4 matches in 10 days, and without them we can’t win. We are going to have to take all the deserved ridicule that will come from failing to qualify from this group and make sure it never happens again.

See below

That useless prick is out for 4 months already.
That’s not the way Conte works, you could see how upset he was after Mura. He wants to win every game. I’m sure he’d rather have a trophy to compete for than more time on the training ground.

As a club we have got to stop being OK with losing. I think we are going to go out because some of our key players won’t be able to play 4 matches in 10 days, and without them we can’t win. We are going to have to take all the deserved ridicule that will come from failing to qualify from this group and make sure it never happens again.

First thing my Chelsea mate, who has a bit of a man crush on Conte still, said after Mura, was "Conte will hate that, he can't stand losing games"

Imagine that. Some one who doesn't think losing is acceptable.
Can we go out with a draw? Keep him happy that way lol

See below

That useless prick is out for 4 months already.

First thing my Chelsea mate, who has a bit of a man crush on Conte still, said after Mura, was "Conte will hate that, he can't stand losing games"

Imagine that. Some one who doesn't think losing is acceptable.
Can we go out with a draw? Keep him happy that way lol
We can go out with a win

I just want to see the kids play if we go for rotation.

Something like this I would be ok with

Lloris
Doherty Tanganga Dier Rodon Davies
Skipp White
Bergwijn Ndombele Son

Play tango up front, the hell away from any defending.

No Skipp, Lloris, Dier, Hojbjerg, Son, Reggie, Lucas, Emerson or Davies. Anyone else healthy can play would be my preference but due to lack of depth we probably have to play a few of them.

Gil and Sess are out.

Gollini
Sanchez Dier Rodon
Tanganga Winks Ndombele Doc
Dele, Scarlett Bergwijn

It is important to win a trophy and not just let a winnable opportunity pass. Massive rotation always leads to disaster even when we were a top 4 club under Poch. The times we struggled in cup competitions. Having said that our strongest team on Thursday is not putting out the same 11 that has played the last 2 matches fully. So it is a compromise of say 6/8 of the first 11 and the remainder from the subs named yesterday. As it is difficult to know which players can manage another match it is difficult to name a team. However as we need goals we need to play our best attackers.

If Lo Celso follows previous patterns he's injured until just before the next Argentinian call up - you asked what's wrong with him 'pining for Argentina' might be the correct response !

Coco is off injured - expected to be out for 4 months. Maybe they'd like to keep each other company in a sick bay somewhere

Anybody want to apply for a free ticket in the South Stand Lower, for this high profile, must-win game? Sadly, Mme F can't make it, so I've got a spare. The seat is one in from the end of a row. The only catch is you'll need to make yourself look like you're over 60, as it's a Senior ticket. A hat down over the face, wrinkles and a miserable scowl should do the trick.

I'll only release it to someone I recognise as a regular forum contributor. Left wing snowflake wokey tossers preferred. DM me if you're interested.

Applications close at 8pm on Tuesday. Please state your age.

Back
Top Bottom