Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sooooo......

Can we go through? is it GD or Head to head? I'd have thought even if we win, Vitesse will too and they'd beat us on H to H right?

Anyway tough game away at Brighton on Sun so even though this is potentially a must win, we'll have to rotate a bit

Assuming Emerson and Gil are still ill, and Reggie won't be risked.......

Lloris

Doherty Sanchez Rodon Davies Sessegnon

Winks Hojbjerg

Lo Celso Bergwijn Son

It's GD ;)

(EDIT: Just to be clear, in games between us and Vitesse, we got same number of points and scored same number of goals - number of goals scored away from home in particular is irrelevant. Next it goes to goal difference (as long as we're on equal points in total obviously! :) ))

Glad that's out of the way nice and early. Watch the question get asked 10 times in the next 10 pages anyway though.

:contehandshead:

Last edited:
I can't believe we have yet another home game - 3 in 8 days - when we go for weeks without any :contescrewface:

Anyway, I expect quite a number of the 'second' string will play, and I'm not sure they're up to getting us through. There's a small part of me that thinks that we could do without the extra games that will entail, especially if we get through to the semis of the League Cup and get to the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Last edited:
I'd rather play some kids than give certain players another chance in this one if we are going to rotate. Think winks will play and bergwijn. I'd like to rest son but I think I'd rather start him up top and drop kane.
Gollini
Lav sanchez Rodon Davies sess
Winks white
Lucas Son bergwijn

The Mura game was the death blow for us, unfortunately for reasons of fatigue we are going to have to rest some players against Rennes. With Reguilon now injured and Sessegnon banned we have a big problem on the left side. Hojbjerg has a knock too so he can't be risked either. We cannot afford to play Gollini either, we need our captain in goal. Kane and Son have to play too.

Rennes are a strong team and our only hope is that they play a shadow side and don't give a shit about the match. If they come here wanting to win then we are in trouble.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier Rodon
Doherty Skipp Winks Davies
Bergwijn Kane Son

I think that's the best we can do while resting the players we need to. 4 changes from today is pushing it but any more and we won't be able to win. Players like Ndombele and Dele can't compete at this level.

Last edited:
Stade Rennais are 2nd in Ligue 1. Behind only PSG. Top of the form table. over the past 5 games Our 2nd string will not be good enough.

I'm not sure our first string will be either to be honest. Can't decide whether we should pie this off or go for it at the risk of knackering players for next weekend. I think I'd fall on the side of needing to treat the next game as the most important. So play the best 1st XI we can muster, then worry about Brighton after that.

This lot just win 5-0 away from home. Not an easy game at all. But surely we have to rest some players for Brighton.

:contehandshead:
they've also beaten PSG this season.

as we saw in the home leg they're a very good side.

Our GD is 2 better than Vitesse but they're at home to Mura so could potentially rack up a score.....

I dunno I suppose it's better to be in it than out but it's a trek.

This is a nightmare, if you want to go through. Not only do we have a tough game, but Vitesse has an easy one. Assuming we both win, it’s goal differential, and ours is 3, theirs is 1. We basically have to win, and hope that Vitesse doesn’t hammer Mura 5-0 or something like that.

they've also beaten PSG this season.

as we saw in the home leg they're a very good side.

Our GD is 2 better than Vitesse but they're at home to Mura so could potentially rack up a score.....

I dunno I suppose it's better to be in it than out but it's a trek.
I’d never normally say this but I’d happily accept an exit now to give AC more time with the players, basically to benefit the league campaign. He’s turned Davies into a classy Italian defender in 2 weeks. Think what he could do with the rest!

I’d never normally say this but I’d happily accept an exit now to give AC more time with the players, basically to benefit the league campaign. He’s turned Davies into a classy Italian defender in 2 weeks. Think what he could do with the rest!

After the Rennes game next ECL game might be in Feb, so not sure Conte gets more time with squad until after Transfer Window, whether we win or lose

More likely Conte will want to win to keep morale up

Interesting to see if Royal, Gil are still out, I assume Lo Celso and Romero will be and after today, Reguilon rested.

So this match will stretch the squad - would probably bring in 2 or 3 of the u23's to make up the numbers given we get a 10 man bench. Likely to be White and Markanday joining Scarlett in the squad ?

As of now:

No Romero (injured)
No Emerson (ill - return tbc)
No Gil (ill - return tbc)
No Sessengon (banned)
No Reggie (minor injury today... Let him heal!)
PEH picked up a knock today too.

+ A need for rotation thanks to xmas rush + LC

All of a sudden this seems a bit of an ask.... Unless Rennes send the proverbial kids considering they've already won the group.

Reluctant to play Dier, Davies, Reg, Skipp & PEH as we're fucked without them for the time being.

Hugo
Doherty
/ Japh / Rodon / Sanchez / Berg
GLC
/ Winks / Ndombele
Son
(Lucas**) / Kane (Dele**)
(**Sub on for 2nd half.)

Last edited:
Btw....
7JaagS.png

+2 GD advantage.