Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs weren't the first team to do the double. Preston North End were the first, Aston Villa were the second and Spurs were the third.
Yes, but in modern football it was us. Preston and Villa did it when there were only 12 professional clubs with the former in 1880s, and still mainly just the north of England for the latter in the 1890s.

The 13 would have included Sess and Lo Celso and Romero. Assuming they don't have covid they'd have missed the game through injury and suspension.
Squad of 25. Romero, GLC injured. Royal and Gil ill. Sessegnon suspended. Leaves 20.
Further edit: Uefa's rules state that if clubs have 13 fit players on their A list, including a goalkeeper, they must play.
So my original post means that a further 8 of the 20 needs to be unfit to be within the rules.
But IMO the rule is not designed to deal with this unique situation.

Last edited:
Yes, but in modern football it was us. Preston and Villa did it when there were only 12 professional clubs with the former in 1880s, and still mainly just the north of England for the latter in the 1890s.
'Modern football', what's that? When did it start?

Aston Villa done the double in 1897, when there was 16 teams in the First Division, four years before Spurs won their first FA Cup.

My original reply was to the statement that Spurs were the 'First team to do the double'., which is wrong. There was no mention of 'modern football', what ever that is.

Aston Villa done the double in 1897, when there was 16 teams in the First Division, four years before Spurs won their first FA Cup.

My original reply was to the statement that Spurs were the 'First team to do the double'., which is wrong. There was no mention of 'modern football', what ever that is.
For me, modern football I'd say post war, 1950 onwards; about when England thought they would contest a world cup. A bit before English teams participated in Europe. A long time after you could draw Royal Engineers in the cup; more than few years before the second Boer War
Yes, the original statement was inaccurate. As was every commentator who said that spurs were the first to do the double. Most knew what they meant.

For me, Preston, Villa, It's not comparing like with like with our achievement, with all the professional clubs around.
So, I draw my line.

Spurs were the first team to do the double - post war.
Most people use that as the indictor for what defines modern football.

Before then it was a bit random and a bit of a shit show. Rules would change regularly, there were less teams etc.

Encore une fois
lights rave GIF by Insomniac Events

Sander Van Doorn Yes GIF by Ultra Music Festival

Meanwhile, at The Guardian, David Hytner is probably working on a piece on how we dare to give expired food to the poor or something like that.

(this food is obviously not expired but don't let that get in the way of a good Guardian narrative).

Back
Top Bottom