Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that’s incorrect. The national coefficient only decides how many cl spots and a coefficient multiplier. If the new rule was in place the last 2 years we wold be in the CL under the coefficient. We are also very close to Woolwich in terms of points so any points this year are a bonus as they have no European games.
It’s technically called UEFA club coefficient.

Rule change was incorporated last summer that the 2 clubs with highest coefficient that would not qualify through league position or winning Europa/cl would qualify by coefficient.

Under these rules, we would have qualified for CL this year but the change doesn’t begin until 2023 or 2024 or something.

This is huge in England where top 4 is crazy competitive.

The UEFA coefficients are mainly a country thing rather than club.
Yes, the better a club does, or the further it goes in Europe, the higher the country's coefficient rating, but it a 'team' effort' (all the clubs combined).

England are overall leaders of UEFA's Association club coefficients, and are also leading the Season country coefficients for 2021/22.

With 4 teams already qualified for this seasons Champions League Round of 16, I doubt very much Spurs being kicked out of the Conference League will make much difference.
Incorrect. Your point about coefficient is correct, but there is also club coefficient which is used to determine pot 1,2,3,4 in CL. Club coefficient is the total points awarded to a team in the last 5 seasons. I believe it’s 2 points for each win and 1 for each draw as well as various bonus points for progressing each round.

There are upcoming rule changes that 2 teams will qualify for CL by having the highest coefficient of all unqualified teams.

I had tickets for this and haven't heard anything from spurs, has anyone else?

I know it's all up in the air at the moment but wondering if anyone else has heard anything directly.

Been saying this for the entire competition. Uefa coefficient will be our easiest path to the CL in the future.

Most people on the board aren’t unaware of the upcoming changes or perhaps have no reading comprehension.
No. Spurs easiest path to the CL in future will be to finish in the top 4.
In any given season there will bound to be a Man Utd or a Juventus etc. who have failed to have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, and have a higher UEFA coefficient than Spurs.

Coefficients is HUGE!

When it comes into force in the future our fans will be asking why we didn't do more in this competition to earn extra points.

If Conte is such a messiah as everyone keeps saying and this competition is so tin pot as I'm led to believe, why can't we get top 4 and win this competition? Why do we have to choose one or the other? The world is so disparate and extreme that its impossible to have more than one thing now?

Any big club with pedigree would just go let's try win the trophy and get top 4, but not us with 'its beneath us' attitude. We are so privileged with our recent success we shouldn't want to try to win anything. Such a fucking loser mentality this club has.

I know it's all up in the air at the moment but wondering if anyone else has heard anything directly.
I had tickets too as part of the 3 match bundle. I imagine Spurs are waiting to see what happens with UEFA.

If we go through then perhaps the ticket can be rolled over to the next ECL home game, or a refund option?

I bought 4 tickets and haven't heard anything.
I don't expect to until UEFA have announced their decision about the game.

No. Spurs easiest path to the CL in future will be to finish in the top 4.
In any given season there will bound to be a Man Utd or a Juventus etc. who have failed to have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, and have a higher UEFA coefficient than Spurs.
We and Roma would have qualified this year.

Spurs in 13= position with 83 points.

ManU in 9= position on 104 points

Woolwich in 15= position on 80 points.

Wham and Leicester in 7th and 77th position, well behind us

So any coefficient points we can get this year to increase the gap on Woolwich who are not in europe would be good - and to get into europe again also a good plan

Last edited:
The deal is about UEFA coefficient too. We are now in 13th place of all European clubs. Ahead of us are Sevilla, Roma. Behind us Ajax, Borussia, Woolwich, Porto, Leipzig. If we wanna have a good chance to qualify to Champions league by coefficient in the future, we must progress further in Conference League. And, as you know, the coefficient will be very important, just vital from 2023/24 season.

Wonder what people at the club thinks about this.
Go out now and we will be suffering for coefficient points for several years. 1 bad year makes a lot of difference especially when the CL final points stop counting.

I wasn't commenting about this year.
My comment was about the future and the best way to qualify for the CL.
For any English team that’s not one of the 4 richest clubs (Manchester clubs, Chelsea, and Liverpool), it will absolutely be coefficient.

Any English team that can reliably qualify for Europa/ECL (us, Woolwich, maybe Leicester or west ham), will be taking Europe very seriously and aiming to get CL qualification through Europe.

We are lucky Woolwich failed to qualify this past year or they’d be well ahead of us. We will also be losing our 2 strongest years in the next 2 years and have to make up for that.

It's a laughing stock competition mocked by the media and other fans . It holds no prestige and probably won't be around in 5 years .
Many just don't give a fuck either way
No we don’t, but let’s agree that we don’t now and then spend three days doing nothing before announcing that we do. Or something.

Last edited:
The deal is about UEFA coefficient too. We are now in 13th place of all European clubs. Ahead of us are Sevilla, Roma. Behind us Ajax, Borussia, Woolwich, Porto, Leipzig. If we wanna have a good chance to qualify to Champions league by coefficient in the future, we must progress further in Conference League. And, as you know, the coefficient will be very important, just vital from 2023/24 season.

Wonder what people at the club thinks about this.

How about just be good enough to qualify for the CL automatically?
We’re supposed to be striving to be an elite club, not sure going far in the Europa Conference so we can finish 7th and still squeak in is a thing

We just got beat by Mura, I’m not sure the CL is on our agenda just yet

How about just be good enough to qualify for the CL automatically?
We’re supposed to be striving to be an elite club, not sure going far in the Europa Conference so we can finish 7th and still squeak in is a thing

We just got beat by Mura, I’m not sure the CL is on our agenda just yet

It may have passed you by, but ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea are currently well ahead of us in terms of squad quality so it will be extremely difficult fopr a few years to get in the top 3 on a regular basis.

That leaves 4th place for us to fight with alongside ManU (whose revenues are far greater than ours, meaning they can oit bid us on any player, Leicester, Woolwich and other clubs.

So in the future we may not get 4th place regularly.

But we may well be one of 2 teams in europe with the best co-efficient points not automatically qualifying for CL,

So its important to stay ahead of Wolwich in the coefficient points race to have another way to qualify for CL.

It may have passed you by, but ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea are currently well ahead of us in terms of squad quality so it will be extremely difficult fopr a few years to get in the top 3 on a regular basis.

That leaves 4th place for us to fight with alongside ManU (whose revenues are far greater than ours, meaning they can oit bid us on any player, Leicester, Woolwich and other clubs.

So in the future we may not get 4th place regularly.

But we may well be one of 2 teams in europe with the best co-efficient points not automatically qualifying for CL,

So its important to stay ahead of Wolwich in the coefficient points race to have another way to qualify for CL.
So what your saying is, forget finishing above Chelsea in the PL, but hope to beat Bayern and Real Madrid in the CL after squeezing in via an EL Conference run and 7th place finish

:tanguythumb:

Back
Top Bottom