Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United | Sunday 2 May | 19.15 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Glad to read so many genuine Spurs fans sticky up for Lo Celso over what happened to him.

The club should make a formal complaint and Mason should speak out as he suffered a career ending head incident.

U.S. Spurs fan Cody Mac said on WeAreTottenhamTV the player could have taken his eye out with that stamp.

OK, bypass the FA entirely and file criminal charges for assault.
I think Lo Celso would have to do that but why not?

Kicking someone in the head like that on any High Street would quite rightly end up with you getting knicked!

The more I watch it the worse it looks
Quite deliberate imv

I thought the only instance that the authorities would not deal with an incident retrospectively, was if the referee had administered a punishment on the field of play (yellow or red card) and that untouched incidents were open to retrospective action?

I hadn't realised that VAR was now considered to nullify that process.
I thought that VAR couldn’t get involved in yellows
Only straight reds which that one clearly was

I think Lo Celso would have to do that but why not?

Kicking someone in the head like that on any High Street would quite rightly end up with you getting knicked!

The more I watch it the worse it looks
Quite deliberate imv
I've never understood how deliberate assault seems to be legal if it happens in professional sport.

If I headbutt someone in a pub I'll be arrested. Zidane does it and he gets a red card and a series of internet memes.

Seriously? Who are you kidding , we played like a bunch of cowards! It’s a fucking final, have a go! I would rather get spanked 4-2 trying to win then play the whole game camped in our own half scared shitless of the opposition!

In that case Mourinhos time at Spurs must have been absolute torture for you.

No, because VAR looked at it.
You sure? They override reds VAR has already looked at

"While increased use of VAR may reduce the number of on-field incidents typically subjected to retrospective action, it will nevertheless remain available should The FA believe that there may be a case to answer."

Last edited:
I've never understood how deliberate assault seems to be legal if it happens in professional sport.

If I headbutt someone in a pub I'll be arrested. Zidane does it and he gets a red card and a series of internet memes.
TBF I’ve never seen anyone other than Warwick Davis headbutt someone in the chest before!

On the ball incidents are actually a bit complicated and not satisfactorily determined by the courts in this country. The legal notion is that the players give implied consent to the rough and tumble of the particular sport, that there will be physical contact and that there is the risk of serious injury. The courts will consider the playing culture of the sport to determine whether any action is unlawful (there are various factors that will be applied as seen in Cey). For example, professional fouls would almost always not be an offence against the person because it is part of the sporting culture (Probably applies to shoving as well). Sometimes tackles will be reckless or late, the players consent to that.

If something is clearly off the ball it technically would be unlawful in much the same way it is for the people standing on the sidelines. For example, slapping someone would technically be a common assault/battery. Probably rightly, we never see that sort of thing go any further than the sporting authorities. Even punching/headbutting etc doesn't seem to go any further as you say. I presume that the police/CPS don't think it is in the public interest.

The police didn't even think the below warranted an arrest, so there we are. I would love to hear the police justify why a player can consent to being punched whilst on the floor.

Last edited:
You sure? They override reds VAR has already looked at

"While increased use of VAR may reduce the number of on-field incidents typically subjected to retrospective action, it will nevertheless remain available should The FA believe that there may be a case to answer."
Ah, maybe I'm wrong then.
:mourthumb:

Did Mourinho manage to beat any relegation teams by 4 nil?

The last time Mou faced a bottom of the table team he drew 2 all against Newcastle.
And same Mourinho beat United 5-1, but this has nothing to do with Mourinho.

It's simply disingenuous to use beating a relegated team as evidence of the quality in the squad while ignoring that same group of players were very poor against City just a few days earlier.

There are a lot of dead weight in the squad and beating a relegated team doesn't change that

And same Mourinho beat United 5-1, but this has nothing to do with Mourinho.

It's simply disingenuous to use beating a relegated team as evidence of the quality in the squad while ignoring that same group of players were very poor against City just a few days earlier.

There are a lot of dead weight in the squad and beating a relegated team doesn't change that
You’ve proved my point then with your Man U reference then, it’s not the players if they are capable of beating top teams.

What happened in the locker room no one knows but the players have the ability, they just stopped listening to Mourinho.

You’ve proved my point then with your Man U reference then, it’s not the players if they are capable of beating top teams.

What happened in the locker room no one knows but the players have the ability, they just stopped listening to Mourinho.
I am not proving your point but simply showing you that results of individual games don't always tell the full story.

For several seasons, we have had these players repeatedly fail to show up when it mattered, that is more telling than beating an already relegated team.

If we don't start getting rid of the dead weights, next season would likely be worse than the current. Won't be surprised if the needed squad overhaul coupled with Levy's penny pinching is big turnoff for prospective managers

You have to be allowed to use the ball to have a go. Man City are rather good at keeping it, and taking it back off people who try to play with it. They are selfish like that.
They went into the game off the back of 40 odd wins out of 50 with 5 defeats. We went into it off the back of 19 months of brainwashing by JM.
Man City did to us what we did to Sheffield United yesterday. Passed it better. Won it back quicker. Made more use of it.
City are better than us.
We are better than Sheff United.

Not sure why people struggle.

Interesting this scenario involved the same player on both sides.

Yesterday GLC gets stamped on. From the face on angle it looked as deliberate is it gets. No red. Checked in a few seconds. Not much debate after.

Last season, GLC stamps on a Chelsea player. VAR looked. No red. Lots of fuss for a long time after.

IMO, they both should have been red. Potentially both getting more than a 3 match ban.

I would also change the rules. Sky Sport "expert ref" says you don't know what he was thinking so don't know if it's intentional".
Change the rule to "hurt a player by stamping on them and it's a red no matter what".
Watch players try much harder not to stamp on the opposition.

Interesting this scenario involved the same player on both sides.

Yesterday GLC gets stamped on. From the face on angle it looked as deliberate is it gets. No red. Checked in a few seconds. Not much debate after.

Last season, GLC stamps on a Chelsea player. VAR looked. No red. Lots of fuss for a long time after.

IMO, they both should have been red. Potentially both getting more than a 3 match ban.

I would also change the rules. Sky Sport "expert ref" says you don't know what he was thinking so don't know if it's intentional".
Change the rule to "hurt a player by stamping on them and it's a red no matter what".
Watch players try much harder not to stamp on the opposition.
Every time I saw a replay of the incident I became more and more convinced he intended to 'accidentally' stamp on him. In that split second it wouldn't have been possible to choose a specific place to stamp on, so it was unlucky that Gio had his face in the way. VAR should have got the ref to look at his telly.

Definitely a red, in my view.

Funny thing is, I've become so used to LoCelso faking it (along with Tanguy & Son) that initially I thought he was play-acting.

Seeing some prior responses saying we didn't twat relegation fodder under Mourinho.

Palace 4-0
Burnley 4-0
WBA 4-0
Southampton 5-2

I think a big big big part of the Mourinho problem was his propensity to pick tripe. Mason has come, no fucking idea what he's doing but he has picked the same back 4, 3 games in a row. He's picked the best 4 we have, 3 times in a row. And suddenly we only concede 2 goals in 3 games including only 1 in the last 10 minutes during a mega onslaught Vs City.

So Mourinho clearly had an issue with picking the best players. Dier is a junior defender at best. He cannot ever be paired with Sanchez or Rodon.
Gareth Bale is (not was) one of the best players any of us have ever seen and should be involved in every game but at least every game against teams we can shoot freely at.

IMO Mason got the selection right against Southampton and Sheff U but not against City.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but had we won against City, we'd have had to play in the pathetic Conderence league. Not sure but even if we finished 5th?
Maybe someone decided that wasn't what was best. Because it really really isn't.
No one told Son though.

Back
Top Bottom